Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water ingress

Hi Ant,

1999 Berlingo Duo, rain coming in somewhere and collecting in floor well between fridge and sink unit.

No sign of damp in wall or roof fabric and having taped newspaper to the aluminium air vents under the rear door to check whether ingress was via the door,this remained dry although further rain came into the floor well. Have plumped up rubbers to small upper windows. Have duck taped rivet heads in roof light so am at a loss re identifying point of entry. Any suggestions/advice gratefully received.

Vehicle is parked on a slope with the near side on the lower side and rain accumulates in floor well at base of sink unit.

Thanks

Reubin

Mine leaks round the rear door, you can see daylight in one place. I am going to look for a new seal that has a bigger softer cross secttion.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Reubin View Post
      Hi Ant,

1999 Berlingo Duo, rain coming in somewhere and collecting in floor well between fridge and sink unit.

No sign of damp in wall or roof fabric and having taped newspaper to the aluminium air vents under the rear door to check whether ingress was via the door,this remained dry although further rain came into the floor well. Have plumped up rubbers to small upper windows. Have duck taped rivet heads in roof light so am at a loss re identifying point of entry. Any suggestions/advice gratefully received.

Vehicle is parked on a slope with the near side on the lower side and rain accumulates in floor well at base of sink unit.

Thanks

Reubin
      Hi Reubin.
      Try taping up the side locker door on the offside, be sure to cover where the door surround fits the body as well as the door itself. If water gets in the locker door fitting it can get out in the corner of the foot well near the fridge. I used to put food colouring in water and tip it over the door fittings ( both side and rear) to establish the waters route, sometimes it was long after the water had dried up that i'd notice a colour stain often nowhere near I was expecting!

Comment

Hello Ant,

Many thanks for your help, hadn’t considered locker doors but will try taping up as you suggest. If this proves to be the way water is entering, which is the most likely cause - failing rubber surround on the locker door or failing silicon around the fibreglass door mount - or both!

Thanks again, hope you’re both well, I miss my annual pilgrimage up from Dorset but great to know your expertise is only an email post away.

Cheers,

Reubin

Comment

Is the rear door correctly aligned? I had several inches of water in my rear footwell but only when the van was positioned a certain way and the wind blowing in a certain direction. This allowed water to seep over the top of the door, run down the sides and pool at the bottom. It was only detected via a process of elimination and a series of kitchen roll pads daubed with ink blots to determine the water direction then confirmed via a pressure washer. Adjusting the door alignment made all the difference along with a small strip over the top of the door, inspired by the similar moulding on the Mezan, to deflect rain.

Comment

Originally posted by Reubin View Post
            Hello Ant,

Many thanks for your help, hadn’t considered locker doors but will try taping up as you suggest. If this proves to be the way water is entering, which is the most likely cause - failing rubber surround on the locker door or failing silicon around the fibreglass door mount - or both!

Thanks again, hope you’re both well, I miss my annual pilgrimage up from Dorset but great to know your expertise is only an email post away.

Cheers,

Reubin
            The door rubber of the locker is usually quite obvious if it's at fault but the surround seal to the body is often the culprit that gets overlooked.

Comment

widgetinstance 226 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
            Working...
            X