Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Gas to use

Hi Ant
    As you know I am new to the Romahome way of life and love it, through lack of experience especialy winter camping what is the best gas to use in the winter that doesn't freeze? also to allow me to purchase in France and Spain, any advise would be gratefully received.
    Thanks for your advise on this matter.
    Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
    'Live without regrets'

Hi Bryan.
    Camping gaz is available in Europe but sadly it is Butane based which means it is not very good in very cold conditions. Propane ( red cylinders) gas is the best tyupe to use in the cold weather, but Calor gas in the UK is not interchangable with the European cylinder.
    So If in Europe take Camping Gaz otherwise use Propane if you can fit the bottle in your locker.
    Ant

Comment

Hi Ant,

Thought I would tag this onto this thread as it's the same subject..

I have just exchanged an antique gas bottle (the seller said he hadn't seen them for around 20 years!) for a new propane gas lite + new regulator. I need (according to the instructions) a spanner to tighten, which they didn't tell me about at the place I bought it from. Is it the same as an ordinary propane to connect up? What size spanner do I need (the instructions just say 'always use the correct sized spanner').

Also, I thought I had it all figured out and connected up ok but when I went to switch on the gas, it started ...well, sort of whistling? and there was a smell of gas, so I switched it off again, quickly! LOL!

It's not as easy as the camping gaz tiny things I used to use in the camper, they just screwed on. This has a screw as well, but does it have to screw in all the way or just until it's tight and then another tighten with a spanner? How hard can it be I keep telling myself.....

Edited to add: I have a set of spanners SOMEWHERE around here, so I will be able to find the right one... but I'm sure I've missed an important bit of the connecting process. And the regulator comes with instructions which I've followed to the letter - urrrghghhhh, life is hard sometimes...
      Last edited by jayjay; 18-01-2010, 17:46.

Comment

Hi Jay Jay.
        Very often if the threads are new they do leak a bit unless you really tighten them up hard, however if you do you'll have problems getting it undone again. I suggest you smear the thread with good old Vaseline and refit it , you'll find it seals and you don't have to get a Gorilla to tighten it for you!
        Ant

Comment

Originally posted by ant View Post
          Hi Bryan.
          Camping gaz is available in Europe but sadly it is Butane based which means it is not very good in very cold conditions. Propane ( red cylinders) gas is the best tyupe to use in the cold weather, but Calor gas in the UK is not interchangable with the European cylinder.
          So If in Europe take Camping Gaz otherwise use Propane if you can fit the bottle in your locker.
          Ant
          Hi Ant many thanks, that explains it for me, nothing is easy, be so much better if it was all standard, that's life........
          Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
          'Live without regrets'

Comment

Thanks for the advice, Ant, will go find the vaseline, spanner.. and try again! LOL! All this came about as I only wanted to see how the cooker worked - then no gas to appliances, checked, butane so probably frozen and as antique anyway, thought I'd best go get a new one, decided on propane lite + new regulator....

Why does propane have to be connected in this fashion - it's loads more simple with top loading gaz/butane.....enought o put me off even trying and go back to my gaz and the comfort zone...

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
              will go find the vaseline, spanner.. and try again! LOL!
              Not to be taken out of context of course!

Good luck, I'd use propane myself if I could get the bottle to fit my locker. I might have to get a bit happy with a coping saw before next winter.

Comment

LoL Sloeman!

Took me ages to put the darned thing on properly - with an adjustable spanner, it's a real blokey thing, me thinks... will have to get a BIG ordinary spanner as the handles get in the way of an adjustable.

Anyway, after having done all that, and paying £31 for the lite propane gas and new regulator - - - there's still no gas coming through, I waited 5-10 minutes thinking it might be a bit slow... not a whisper! I turned on the gas at the tank, turned on the tap underneath the sink and after 10 mins, still nowt!

Which leads me to believe that either 1. There is another switch somewhere I don't know about, or 2. there is a frozen blockage in the gas pipe (ice? butane??) or 3. there's a fracture and the gas is not getting where it should... can't smell anything though, so don't think it's 3...

I have a man coming to fit the fridge next month, so maybe he'll have a clue as I am not speaking to my van at the moment.

Comment

No Gas,.......

Hi Jak,maybe you have which i suspect you will, (lol) a shut off valve, somewere along the line, it is a small valve depending on what its feeding,because there are sometime,s two, or even 3 in my eriba triton, all pointing INLINE with the copper pipe, vertical, in my case was off.as maybe is your but it wont be much, Take care ,Bob.
                  Rob,:thumbsup:

Comment

Originally posted by Nu Venture, Cleethorpes View Post
                    Hi Jak,maybe you have which i suspect you will, (lol) a shut off valve, somewere along the line, it is a small valve depending on what its feeding,because there are sometime,s two, or even 3 in my eriba triton, all pointing INLINE with the copper pipe, vertical, in my case was off.as maybe is your but it wont be much, Take care ,Bob.
                    Hi Bob, there is a little stop tap underneath the van,currently set at a right angle to the gas pipe, so I'm assuming it's on... it won't turn by hand anyway, and I'm a bit worried about exerting extra pressure with a pair of pliers in case I turn it the wrong way or break it... was wondering whether this was the case. If at right angles, then mine is back to front, and inline must be on, and it's switched off!! Can't see that the chap I bought it from would have switched it off there though, and I did see the little gas fire working. Will follow it back and see if there's any more. Thanks for your help!

Comment

Usually, gas taps are ON when they are in line with the pipe, and OFF when at right angles to the pipe.

That's how they've been on all the vans and campers I've had, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Caz View Post
                        Usually, gas taps are ON when they are in line with the pipe, and OFF when at right angles to the pipe.

That's how they've been on all the vans and campers I've had, anyway.
                        Hi Caz, thanks for that. If so, then that's why the gas isn't getting through.. will have to get out the vaseline & pliers then and have a go. It must depend on the type of van as to whether off or on, in line or not as the case may be!

Will have a go when the weather gets a bit warmer, just pulled my back so can't do anything today.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                          Hi Caz, thanks for that. If so, then that's why the gas isn't getting through.. will have to get out the vaseline & pliers then and have a go. It must depend on the type of van as to whether off or on, in line or not as the case may be!

Will have a go when the weather gets a bit warmer, just pulled my back so can't do anything today.
                          Give it a spray with WD40, that'll shift it.
                          Graham
                          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

all the universe needs is WD40 and duct tape.

If it moves and it shouldn't, tape it.
                            If it doesn't move and it should, oil it.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X