Dimension - wet in underfloor storage area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dimension - wet in underfloor storage area

Has anyone experienced water ingress (somehow) in the under floor storage area. I found some a while ago, dried everything out as the bit of carpet was absolutely sopping and kept a watch on it. Everything seemd to be OK but problem has recurred. We had travelled through some heavy rain so wondered if the gas vents could let under vehicle spray in which then runs towards the front of the floor pan?

We've got a Dimension and have driven through some pretty wet weather in our time but have never experienced water ingress. There are some pipes run through our small under floor storage area, would your water problem be anything to do with those?
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

The water appears to be in the large front under floor storage immediately adjacent to the side entrance door behind the front passenger seat and just in front of the gas locker. We have had an electric slide out step fitted under the side door and wondered if it is somewhere in this region that it comes in. I don't think it is any internal piping as any loss of pressure would result in the pump running and it doesn't smell so I don't think it is any form of grey water leak. Just wondered if it could come through the gas vents and then find its way along the floor pan.

Comment

It sounds like it could be the side step that is the culprit. We are in the van now and our beds are down at the moment so I can't look in our underfloor storage but will look tomorrow to see if there is anywhere I can see water would get in.

Ant may have a better idea but he probably won't come on the forum until Monday morning when he opens up shop.
        Graham
        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

I think I've cracked it. Nice sunny morning so placed some soft foam blocks over the gas vents and put the hose pipe on full blast under the van. Just cracked open a little so there was a very fine spray, similar to what I imagine wet weather driving spray resembles. Naturally the foam got very wet but nothing appeared in the storage area.

Next I cut a couple of kitchen towels into strips about 1" wide and fed them from the storage area through under the gas locker as far as I could push them. Filled up my Hozelock plant spray bottle and pumped it to maximum pressure before putting it on fine spray but this time aiming down from within the gas locker to where I couldn't actually see any surplus sealant. Hey presto the kitchen towel wick soaked up water. Now all I have to do is wait for it all to dry out nicely and then run some more fresh sealant around the rim of the vent spaces and I think the rivets underneath that hold the mesh grilles in place.

It took a little while for it to seep through but given that we recently drove fro the best part of 5 hours on some very wet motorway, I guess that time would have presented more opportunity for more water to get through. Part of the clue was also in gthe fact that a couple of strips of 'egg box' foam I had left in the compartment before under the carpet were wet AND dirty.

I also gave the grommet where the side step cable passes through a good dousing but that seems well sealed.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway but in case anyone else suffers the same thing, it might assist.

Comment

Nice one, ,glad you sorted it.
            Graham

Comment

I hate to spoil the euphoria of finding and sorting a problem but I would be very surprised if your wet locker has been entirely caused by the gas locker vents. I have seen numerous Dimensions and R30's with wet underfloor lockers, all of them had a water leak on the hot water heater, either a split tank or the inlet pipe leaking. It only produces the leak when the pump is running and nearly always runs forward to the under floor locker by the side door. You should be able to test it while parked up ( slightly nose down), just turn the pump on and let it pressurise the system. If the pump runs on every now and then it's loosing its pressure, you've got a leak. Leave it for an hour or so and check the locker.
              Ant

Comment

Two reasons that I am happy that I am unhappy, if you see what I mean.

I do leave the water system pressurised and when the weather has been reasonable or dry, no sign of water in the compartment. The only time the pump activates is when I open a tap to release the pressure. The main times we have noticed it are after some pretty heavy rain and spray driving.

I tried jetting water from my garden hose pointing down through the gas vent mesh and it literally came running through into the compartment. And I didn't have to wait any real length of time, a minute or two was sufficient to see water and after a few minutes the towel I put in there to stop further spread of the water was soaking.

Comment

Originally posted by ant View Post
                  I have seen numerous Dimensions and R30's with wet underfloor lockers, all of them had a water leak on the hot water heater, either a split tank or the inlet pipe leaking. It only produces the leak when the pump is running and nearly always runs forward to the under floor locker by the side door. You should be able to test it while parked up ( slightly nose down), just turn the pump on and let it pressurise the system. If the pump runs on every now and then it's loosing its pressure, you've got a leak. Leave it for an hour or so and check the locker.
                  Ant
                  Packing our R30 ready for the first outing of the season, I found the carpet in the small underfloor locker to be wet. Having emptied it out and dried the metal floor, I waited and eventually (several hours later) a small trickle of water manifested itself, emerging from under the side of the locker next to the gas cupboard. The van is parked on a slope, nose and offside down.

Our pump has always had a little periodic grumble to itself when left switched on, but there has never been any previous evidence of a leak.

I have investigated all pipework (both under pressure and leaving overnight) as far as I can trace between the wardrobe side and the sink supply connections behind the cutlery drawer and all are bone dry. It seems to make no difference whether the pump is switched on or not.
                  The water heater, under the fridge, together with the last section of piping seems totally inaccessible for inspection, let alone any repair that might be needed.

How do I get to it, without demolishing the kitchen cupboards?

Barry

Comment

Hi Barry.
                    You need to remove the small panel just below the fridge door. It is held by 2 screws up behind it, also you can take the lower panel with the mouse hole in it off. That's as much as you get without taking the fridge out.
                    If your pump has the odd grumble under pressure there is likely to be a small leak somewhere. It's quite common to have the blue water connection that connects to the drain tap of the heater come lose. Also the drain tap itself may have a slight leak at its top. I'd say 80% of the wet forward locker problem can be traced back to the water heater. A few are caused by the pump itself leaking and only one has been water ingress from the n/s rear seal of the roof to the van.
                    Ant

Comment

Thanks very much for that Ant, more dismantling on the way, but not until next week.

I was intrigued by your comment on the rogue leak - "one has been water ingress from the n/s rear seal of the roof to the van." I will keep that in mind, was it along the side or across the back? I ask because the bottom edge of the rear roof panel does not seem to sit very happily in the original Relay overdoor gutter, with very little facility for rainwater to run off the end of said gutter. This has never seemed "right" to me.

Anyway, I will follow your leading and start with the water heater and connections.

Barry

Comment

Barry.
                        the roof leak was an obvious gap in the seal, I've not had any leak there when the seal looks complete. The earlier Dimension would sometimes have a leaky shower room window which appeared in various places like over the sink drain in the kitchen or behind the drivers seat!
                        Ant

Comment

Hi Ant,

I have spent an interesting time trying to trace this leak.

So far, no result.

All the pipes have been dry, the area under the water heater is dry, there is no apparent trail where any leaked water might have run before emerging into the underfloor locker.

I am flummoxed

Is it possible that it was winter condensation collecting under the furniture and trickling out. OK, I am now clutching at straws, but there has to be an explanation somehow

Barry

Comment

Re leaks

I frequently find a small pool of water in the galley of my C15 - cannot see any obvious leaks and haven't yet worked out where it comes from. any ideas? and more to the point - could it be doing any damage? I am quite happy to mop it up but wouldn't like to think that it is corroding something somehwhere

Comment

Originally posted by barry5 View Post
                              Hi Ant,

I have spent an interesting time trying to trace this leak.

So far, no result.

All the pipes have been dry, the area under the water heater is dry, there is no apparent trail where any leaked water might have run before emerging into the underfloor locker.

I am flummoxed

Is it possible that it was winter condensation collecting under the furniture and trickling out. OK, I am now clutching at straws, but there has to be an explanation somehow

Barry
                              Barry, if your water pump keeps its pressure without the hot water tank hot ( with maybe the odd blip on a very cold night), then you dont have a plumbing leak. If the pump even very occasionally blips during a 2 or 3 hour test period you've got a slight leak that eventually will find its way to the locker. You can't test for leaks using the pump as a guide when the hot water is hot, the pressure it gives will mask the fact that its leaking.
                              If you're sure you dont have a plumbing leak then you'll need to have a look at window seals ( especially the upper shower room window, this can leak without any signs inside.)
                              There might be some condensation dampness but this will not be enough to leave standing water.
                              Just remember a water leak is most likely to be the most unlikely cause and you wont go far wrong!
                              Thanks
                              Ant

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X