Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bumper fixings

Hi Ant,

Just discovered that the offside rear bumper on my 2005 Outlook is held on by just one bolt.

I found one of the bolts on the drive, but attempts to rebolt it have failed - it just drops straight back out again. I daren't take any of the other bolts out to see how it works, in case I can't get it back in either.

How do I reattach my bumper, and where can I get replacement fixings?

Thanks,

Ady
    Schrödinger's cat:
    Wanted Dead and Alive.

I have moved this message forward as it seems to have got bumped back without any answer from anyone.
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Hi Ady.
      Sorry I missed your post, Thanks Ian for highlighting it. The bolts that hold your bumper up go into a captive thread set into the body of the van. It may be that you've lost the threaded bit too, in which case the bolt wont stay in and a replacement fixing. A temp fix would be to put a course threaded self tapper through both the bumper and body, ( somewhere near to the original fixing). The body is quite thick in that area so there should be no problem of the screw pulling out.
      Thanks
      Ant

Comment

Thanks for the bump Ian, and the reply Ant. I was beginning to think no-one liked me.

The bolt that fell out does have something black still attached to it, which must be what's left of the captive thread. I suspect that the other captive threads have either corroded or fallen out, which is why the other bolts are also missing.

I did find these self-drilling plasterboard fixings which I thought might be an alternative way of replacing the captive threads, before I resort to drilling more holes in the bumper and bodywork. What do you think?
        Schrödinger's cat:
        Wanted Dead and Alive.

Comment

Hi Adyb.
          They'll do, use a penny washer too and you'll be fine.
          Ant

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
          Working...
          X