Romini brake cable.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Romini brake cable.

Hi Ant, I am unsure whether you have any experience of Romini brakes, but I thought I would ask anyway.
    In any case, hopefully, others who have might see this post and be able to help.

One brake on my Romini was not working as effectively as it should. Initial inspection suggested that a clean and judicious lubrication of the moving parts might answer, but closer inspection revealed that the brake cable had lost its protective covering just behind the back-plate and the outer has actually "concertinered" slightly. Probably because of corrosion.

I believe that the 'van was manufactured in 1988.
    Searching the internet for Al-Ko brake parts has only produced results for systems fitted after 1998 with comments "not suitable for systems before 1998".

Do you have any idea where I might source a replacement cable?
    Last edited by Twolitre; 07-08-2011, 11:46.
    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Speedy cable can make replacement cables for most vehicles and have a good reputation.

Year ago when I built a Jiffy Romahome I had to have a pair of longer cable made. I had them fitted with grease nipples so that it was easy to lubricate them.

Peter

Comment

Thanks Peter,
      I am aware that I may have to have cable(s) made, but that would mean disabling the 'van for however long it takes. A Winter job maybe, because I have two and maybe three outings over the next five weeks.
      The brake is working well at the moment, but I do feel I need to change the cable before it deteriorates more.
      I WILL be keeping an eye on it!
      Jim.

Comment

Hi Jim

Have a look at the Speedy cables web site. They can make a cable from your dimensions/description.

Peter

Comment

I have Peter,
          And other cable manufacturers, but I will need to strip the brake to obtain the measurements and nipple types and sizes they will need. Because none seem to offer to make "pattern" cables from their own data.
          In fact I will have to strip the other side to measure the outer length of the undamaged cable. Since one end of each is hidden within the brake.
          Jim.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
          Working...
          X