Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sluggish Sink Drain

Hi Ant,

The sink on our R20 08 has always been a little reluctant to drain. I did improve matters with copious hot water but it has returned to poor drain mode. No obvious mechanical defects such as pipe kink etc. Before I start pouring undiluted hydrochloric acid or liquid C4 through it just wondered what you, would "Lob" down it.

Geoff.

sink

Vaguely linked to your thread.

My sink doesn't empty out that quickly either. I want to empty out the tank of fresh water so I can put FRESH fresh water in, if you see what I mean!

Have been wondering which would be quicker - to try to syphon the tank empty (as in borrowing petrol from one car to put into the other) or put the tap on full blast and fill / empty sink or bowl.
    Last edited by NomadSue; 09-08-2011, 15:11.
    Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Yes, I would also like to empty my water tank. I haven't actually used it yet as I don't know how long the water has been in there.
      I also want to give it a good cleaning out.
      I know this subject was on the forum not so long ago but I can't seem to be able to trace it. Can anyone help me, please.
      Maria

Comment

missing link

Hi,
        Is this the link your looking for?
        http://smallmotorhome.co.uk/forum/sh...pty+water+tank
        Failing that how about the pdf manuals on this link
        http://smallmotorhome.co.uk/downloads.html
        What a waste
        Last edited by chocoholic; 08-08-2011, 20:27.
        If mistakes are the foundation of understanding, i have firm foundation,Underpinned by much in the way of I don't want to do that again

Comment

Hi Geoff, Sue, Maria and some chocolate.
          Your drain speed is whats known as a design feature! The problem lies with the route the drain pipe has to take before it gets to the waste tank. As it leaves the sink it travels almost horizontally until it gets to where the gas locker protrudes into the van, here it has to rise slightly to clear the locker, then goes straight down to the underside of the van. Two problems occur, firstly the pipe can kink as it goes over the gas locker which restricts the flow, but more commonly you only put a small amount of water in the sink and it effectively has to travel slightly up hill from where the lowest part of the sink is. If you fill the sink to the top and pull the plug out you'll find it drains quite well, as a siphon action is created. Don't be tempted toput boiling water down the hole as this softens the pipe and any kink will just tighten. Warm water with any drain clearing product will do for really blocked drains, but I suspect you've just got "Design feature" drains.
          Ant

Comment

Ant, I thank you. Your words have probably prevented a major conflagration in Lincolnshire.

Geoff.

Comment

Mine is the same in the caravan. These little sinks with little drains and little pipes are never going to drain that quickly.

If it ever does get blocked though (or starts to smell, needs cleaning), use a tablespoon of bicarbonate soda in the drain hole, and wash it down with white vinegar. This creates a fizzing effect which cleans the inside of the drain tube as it goes down. Then rinse with warm water.

Comment

...I avoid this problem bu using a washing up bowl and dosposing of the water outside. Not that I use the fresh water tank either. it's the cleaning out bit I don't enjoy...

Liz

Comment

Originally posted by Lizp View Post
                  ...I avoid this problem bu using a washing up bowl and dosposing of the water outside. Not that I use the fresh water tank either. it's the cleaning out bit I don't enjoy...

Liz
                  me too,after seeing you I followed your example.
                  Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

...apolologies for the typing in my last message. Brain and fingers not working at the same speed!

Liz

Comment

'Design feature drains'

Thanks, Ant. Interesting explanation.

Ooh, I have never had a design feature before!! My sink has to be tipped up in order to empty the water, so I would be a little reluctant to tip it up fully 'loaded'.

Actually, I also prefer to do any washing up in a small plastic bowl outside the van, on my little table - more room and less likelihood of scratching the sink. Also more sociable!

Re emptying out the fresh water tank - the water wouldn't be wasted as OH can pour it over our veggie patch. Like you, we are reluctant to waste water.
                      Last edited by NomadSue; 09-08-2011, 14:35.

Comment

We have a plastic bowl which we usually empty outside,we wipe plates(or lick)pans etc with paper towel to reduce the solids in the waste water, if we havn't used site facilities, the sink is most useful for holding the bowl and for storage whilst underway rarely used for draining water.
                        Joe
                        If you feel life is uncertain always eat your pudding first!

Comment

sink

Ho ho, have a funny vision of keen campers licking pans out

Personally, I use the sink to store the jars of coffee, tea and two mugs, wrapped up in tea towels, so can have a cuppa immediately on arrival .... unless, of course, we open a bottle instead! Did that at Much Wenlock - stopped, opened the back door, put out the chairs and table, and toasted our safe arrival in style, feet up, sunglasses on, and wine in hand. Can't be bad, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                            Mine is the same in the caravan. These little sinks with little drains and little pipes are never going to drain that quickly.
                            I wonder who decided to manufacture such small drainage systems for caravans etc.? And why has every(?) manufacturer followed suit?
                            It does not take a genius to understand that a hole of twice the diameter will pass four times as much water in a given time. Add to that the use of convoluted pipes to prevent kinking on bends also slowing the water flow and we have a (wasting) time machine.
                            Jim.
                            Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

I had this problem with my sink rather slow to empty, second hand van so no idea what the other user had let slip down the plug hole, in the end I gently used a sink plunger, now all is perfect, I'm very careful now that only water is drained away. problem solved.
                              Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
                              'Live without regrets'

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X