Gas problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas problem

We seem to have a problem with leaking gas, even though we only bought a new regulator last year. We have a demountable and keep the gas unde the seat next to the cooker, along with the leisure battery. Because it's inside, we turn the gas off at night, when travelling, when we leave the van etc. and wonder if the regulator can't cope with being turned on and off so frequently. The gas pipe is new and fixed to both regulator and cooker really well, so it does seem to be the regulator. We do seem to get through gas really quickly compared to other people! Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks
    Angela

It is Campingaz, by the way.

Comment

Hi Dolly
      sounds like you have a leak ,firstly you need to find it ,mix up a strong washup liquid water mix and spray it on the joints in the gas system (swith it on first )work your way from one end to the other covering the joints in liquid ,watch for a few minuits at each joint to see if any bubbles appear ,if no joy do the same to the pipes ,if you dont find anything check the valves on the cooker and the fridge if you can get to them ,if it isnt a joint or pipe try another regulator after that you are into the profesionals ,dont ignore it gas makes a hell of a mess when it goes bang ,MOS
      Last edited by MOS; 22-08-2011, 15:20. Reason: spellin

Comment

Another thing, (Although Mos is quite correct) is that, when turned on, a little bit of gaz does escape from the regulator as it's under pressure. If it's all checked out and you can't find anything wrong, then it might be that. Each time you switch it on you will hear a little hiss and smell a little gaz. Mine was the same in my demountable. I didn't switch it off each night though, just when on the move.

My gas set up was next to the cooker and fridge in the locker, but the leisure battery was on the other side in a different locker, next to the sink. Might be a good idea to see if you can either resite the battery, or partition it off from the gas in some way, paying attention to those little gas ventilators at the bottom of the locker, don't block them off.

Having said that, my gas and leisure battery are both in the front outside 'boot' in the caravan! So I need to do the same! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
          Another thing, (Although Mos is quite correct) is that, when turned on, a little bit of gaz does escape from the regulator as it's under pressure. If it's all checked out and you can't find anything wrong, then it might be that. Each time you switch it on you will hear a little hiss and smell a little gaz. Mine was the same in my demountable. I didn't switch it off each night though, just when on the move.

My gas set up was next to the cooker and fridge in the locker, but the leisure battery was on the other side in a different locker, next to the sink. Might be a good idea to see if you can either resite the battery, or partition it off from the gas in some way, paying attention to those little gas ventilators at the bottom of the locker, don't block them off.

Having said that, my gas and leisure battery are both in the front outside 'boot' in the caravan! So I need to do the same! LOL!
          jayjay, while a hiss may be detectable when you turn the gas on while the system pressurises there should surely be no leak or smell of gas? I've never smelled any except when there was a fault, although the stench element in Calor propane (and perhaps butane) can to some extent survive burning and suggest a leak.
          The gas should be on one side of an impervious diaphragm and air at atmospheric pressure on the other. I am no domestic bottled gas expert but I am familiar with welding regulators which, while two stage units as against single here, should allow no gas escape.
          Maybe there is someone on here (Ant?) who can answer definitively.
          Jim.
          Last edited by Twolitre; 22-08-2011, 16:06.
          Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

I'd try a new regulator if that is where the leak is - some years ago I purchased a new regulator and it proved to be faulty, turning the gas off and on shouldn't worry a properly working regulator.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Will try everything that has been suggested!

Comment

Gas Problem

Hi Dolly Do you smell gas or is it that you seem to replace the Camping Gaz cylinder more quickly than other people the camping gaz cylinders do not hold as much as the normal butane or propane cylinders so therfore run out quickly.
                Gaslow do a gas gauge that gives a rough idea of clinder content a very good idea with this gauge is if you give a quick twist of the cyliner valve to pressureise the pipework then turn off leave the isolating valves closed should there be a leak on the pipe to the regulator,the regulator or the pipe from the regulator the gauge neddle will fall if ok then open isolating valves one at a time if more than one this will test each length of pipe work each time a valve is opened you can test your gas anytime you wish and instantly locate leaks.
                I am sure Gaslow still do the Camping Gaz Gauge if not give me a PM I am sure I still have one somewhere in my odment collection.
                What van have you got.

Alf

Comment

Hi Alf
                  We have a Demountable Romahome on a Suzuki pickup. We only have one appliance and that is the cooker, therefore, only one pipe. I don't smell gas, but Patricia does (she says I have a poor sense of smell because I smoke!) and it was because she smelt gas last year hat we bought a new regulator. The gas gauge sounds like a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
                    Hi Alf
                    We have a Demountable Romahome on a Suzuki pickup. We only have one appliance and that is the cooker, therefore, only one pipe. I don't smell gas, but Patricia does (she says I have a poor sense of smell because I smoke!) and it was because she smelt gas last year hat we bought a new regulator. The gas gauge sounds like a good idea.
                    Dolly you use the word GAZ which I assume you mean NOT Calor.
                    I am not sure whether gaz contains a stench element or not. I've never "sniffed" it!
                    I am pretty sure that all domestic gases produced in this Country do, so that gas leaks are detectable, the petroleum gases and natural gas having little natural smell.
                    If a burner is burning with any yellow in the flame in a confined space a faint "gas" smell is likely. Is that what Patricia can smell?
                    Jim.
                    P.S. Can't resist this.
                    Years ago when I worked in Cambridge a massive "gas leak" brought the City to a standstill with loud speaker vehicles telling all users to turn off all gas appliances including pilot lights until informed it was safe to re-light them.
                    Several hours later it was revealed that the stong smell of "gas" all over the City had been caused by yobs opening a valve on a Stench Tank containing the smell routinely added to the gas supply for safety. There was NO gas leak!

Comment

Hi Dolly.
                      You've already been given good advice from previous replies. I'd just add, the pipe work to the cooker should be copper not , as i suspect rubber. The rubber pipe should not extend further than the locker that the bottle is stored in. Camping gaz bottles have a ball valve seal in the top, they sometimes leak slightly from there and if the regulator seal is not good the gas escapes. The smell of leaking gas can be smelt from old rubber hoses and the initial turn on puff from the regulator, ( Jim, the smell added to camping gaz is the same as Calor), the compound that makes up the smell will impregnate the rubber in the system ( both hoses and regulator diaphram). Often when you open a gas locker, the drop in pressure you create will draw the smell out making you think there's a leak. Keep the regulator and hoses renewed regularly, use the High pressure ( Orange) hose if possible as this seems to keep the smell in better. I've seen black hose oily to the touch where the rubber has become saturated ( it was 20 yrs old!) but didn't actually leak gas!
                      If you think your gas consumption is high follow the soapy water suggestion by MOS. I would just add to it by saying test it stationary, soap it again and drive for a few mins' then look again, some leaks only occur if there is movement.
                      Ant

Comment

Interesting Ant!
                        Flexible gas piping is now date stamped. On boats all flexible piping must be "within date" for an essential Boat Safety Certificate to be issued.
                        Is there any similar regulation/suggested requirement for motorhomes and caravans?
                        Jim.

Comment

Hi Jim.
                          All flexible hose should be date stamped and replaced every 5 years. That's the theory anyway, in practice the early armoured hoses didn't have stamps on them or they just had a sticker that came off quite quickly. If the rules were adhered to to the letter, no fixed appliance should be fitted with a flexible hose, only appliances that are supposed to move during their use ie a gimbled cooker on a boat should have a flexi hose. Over the years Romahome have moved away from the use of Flexi hoses but still use one on the cooker of the R20. Sure enough if you have a gas leak on any Romahome young or old, it tends to be one of the flexi hoses that has gone out of date. Only yesterday I changed a 2009 flexi that had failed, I always replace them with solid copper, using a coil of copper allows movement to refit the cooker.
                          Ant

Comment

Thanks Ant,
                            I am familiar with boat systems and your comments are very similar to boat requirements - and sensible too!
                            On a boat the supply must be one continuous length of copper pipe, jointed only where a "take off" is necessary and to include the REQUIRED test point. A heck of a retro undertaking! The only flexible pipe allowed being from the regulator to the main supply which must be minimal length. The gas box must be sealed below gas level with a drain at the bottom to the exterior. A drain is required below a gas fridge too, with a bund wall at the bottom.
                            I have never dealt with sea boats, but obviously a gimballed hob (unusual on inland boats) would require a flexible connection.
                            Jim.
                            Last edited by Twolitre; 23-08-2011, 11:36. Reason: Managed to type "onland" boats instead of inland...!

Comment

...and the initial turn on puff from the regulator (Ant)

This is what I was describing earlier, that initial puff when you turn it on. I got it every time, but after a check by an engineer it was confirmed that this was all it was! Yes, it pongs!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X