Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duo rear door - progress report

Hello Ant.

I have today despite it being very cold outside, attacked the rear door lock with a screwdriver. The exact purpose of the handle (now broken away as per my very first post) is now obvious. It is also obvious to me that trying to repair the handle with epoxy would be a pointless exercise, and I still have no idea what exactly caused my problem in the first place.

I therefore require a new lock. It appears that I only require the black coloured part of the lock assembly but buying the whole lot is probably a better idea. I have no idea where to even start looking for a new lock so I am hoping that you can point me in some direction.
    Regards,
    Tony.

Hi Tony

Does this help to identify the lock?

http://www.brightlock.com/index.html

I'm only guessing - Ant will know for sure!!

Keith

Comment

Hi Tony.
      The two types of lock ( 1 & 2 ) can't have the inner part interchanged but you can swap the outer part between types. I don't think you can get the type 1 anymore so you'll have to get the outer handle from the type 2 ( Try Romahome thats where I get mine).
      Thanks
      Ant

Comment

Thank you Keith and Ant for the quick reply. Pictures 1 and 2 on the website that Keith suggested are what I require. I will try to order up now. This is plan A.
        Plan B will be to do what Ant suggests. I would be lost without this forum - thank you both very much and I will let you know how I get on.
        Kind regards,
        Tony.

Comment

Oh dear. I did not think things could get any worse but they just have. The lock I ordered from Brightlock on Monday arrived here by Special Delivery today.
          I thought the parcel looked a bit on the small side for what I wanted. What I have received is a rear door security lock in the form of a cover that goes over the rear door handle through which a locking bolt goes. So, I am no nearer to fixing my rear door problem which I was thinking would be sorted for good by this weekend, and I am 51 quid poorer too!

Ant - regarding the Types 1 & 2 to which you refer, are they official descriptions used by Romahome? I ask this in case I need to refer to that if I end up talking to someone at Romahome ( will need to find a phone number).
          If my wheelie bin was large enough, the Duo would now be in it.
          Now, where did I put that bottle .............................

Tony

Comment

Tony, I feel a bit responsible for misleading you here. I just thought the Brightlock site might help identify your type of lock.

I have found the following site which I now submit with an element of caution:

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/car...spx?cart=20974

Keith

Comment

Hi Tony.
              It doesn't matter whether you need a type 1 or type 2 rear handle either one will fit the outside. The problem starts if you need an inside mechanism as the later one has a different set up to the earlier type. I doubt you'll need an inner bit, it's normally the outer part that goes wonky.
              Ant

Comment

No worries Keith. The rear handle security device is a nice and useful piece of kit, but will only be of any use to me if I end up with a Type 1 handle which I have ordered today from the leisureshopdirect.com site that you kindly mentioned. They say that they are not in stock at the moment but that they normally have them all the time and can get me one in a few days, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I also phoned Romahome spares today. The chap said that they could only supply the Type 2 handle (as Ant informed me) but if I checked out motorhome/caravan dealers there was a very good chance that one of them would still have a Type 1 handle in stock because they are/were so commonly used by various makers. So I now have a plan C, which is great.
                In fact, if it comes to it, it would be nice to tour round the dealers, a sort of working holiday, when the weather improves a bit.
                Hopefully, leisureshopdirect.com will come up with the goods.
                Having said all of that, looking at pictures, the Type 2 handle does look to be a stronger item than the Type 1.
                Regards to all,
                Tony.

Comment

Yikes!!! I must be dreaming. Thought I would check for new emails before switching off my computer and there is mail from leisureshopdirect.com saying that my order has been dispatched today by RM special delivery.
                  '' I don't believe it ''. !!! Maybe they follow this forum!

Tony.

Comment

Originally posted by alive23512 View Post
                    Yikes!!! I must be dreaming. Thought I would check for new emails before switching off my computer and there is mail from leisureshopdirect.com saying that my order has been dispatched today by RM special delivery.
                    '' I don't believe it ''. !!! Maybe they follow this forum!

Tony.
                    We have influential friends in very high places.
                    Graham
                    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Glad to hear all is not lost, Tony.

As a result of this thread I have noticed that when I open the door I have instinctively been pushing my thumb against the keyhole bit and levering the top of the handle bit with the fingers. This must in effect push the door as Ant suggested and assist the mechanism to release. It's a type I by the way.

Incidentally I have also fitted two small brass cranked bolts to the inside of the door (one each at the top & bottom). They help to close any gap/draft and are an added security at night (take note you wild campers!).

Keith

Comment

leisureshopdirect are usually pretty good with their orders and communications

Comment

Hello all.
                          Good news - sort of. The lock has arrived, so better than a splendid service from leisureshopdirect. However, I do notice some slight differences from the old lock. It looks like the key (the barrel is not fitted yet) is going to take up a 'natural' horizontal position that cannot be altered, not that I would want or need to. The thing that has me scratching my head, though, is the bottom fitting of the outside black handle that appears to be fixed, or to be more precise, it will be when it is attached to the door, as it has a metal pin going through a hole in the handle. The pin is held in place by the rubber grommet. The old handle clipped into the lower part, or that is what it looks like. The pin is almost rusted away, so it is impossible to tell what it looked like when new.

I thought that I had figured out the exact function of the handle when opening the door, but I am now having second thoughts. Am I wrong (probably) but the amount of movement required by the handle to open the door must be tiny. I will probably decide to have a look at a properly working lock before I go ahead and fit the new one, but I have no idea how I can manage to do that, so will have another big think.

Tony

Comment

I am on with the job now. Just come in from outside for a cuppa. Things are going well and it is easy now to see the function of the handle with the new parts fitted to the door. Only have to line up the striker plate now and fit the lock barrel - hope I can do that after, rather than before, I fitted the lock assembly. Running out of daylight now so I hope all goes well.

Glad I bought the whole lock assy. as something in the mechanisim must be faulty on the old one for the handle to have broken in the first place.

Tony

Comment

Tony, I'm probably going to say something you already know but I'll say it anyway. The handle does, as you say, only move a small amount. It is 'fixed' to the door at the bottom end and pulls away from the door at the top, so the bottom end of the handle only 'rocks' very slightly. If you pull the top end of the handle (thumb on keyhole - see my previous post) there is virtually no strain on the bottom end.

Keith

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X