Driveway awning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driveway awning

Hi ant. I have been looking around for a lightweight driveway awning for my c15 high top. Almost settled on the kyami motordome classic which when erected is and attached to the van is 10mts long and is a bit out of proportion to the van. I'm looking to provide extra sleeping accommodation for one person. The van came with it's original awning (1993) but it was canvas and steel poles, very heavy etc so I dumped it anticipating that a lightweight version would be able to source without to much trouble however to date I have had no success.
    Any suggestions would be most welcome. Tony

Hi Tony and welcome. I also got rid of the awning that came with my C15 (sold it, actually) and now I have a Movelite Square by Outdoor Revolution. You can buy an inner sleeping compartment for it for about £40. I was very pleased that it stood up to the rough weather we had at Middlewick Farm last weekend.
    Comes complete with groundsheet and measures 2.4m x 2.4m.
    Maria

Comment

We started with the movelite square and moved up to the XL which is 3m by 3m but is also slightly taller and so the connecting tunnel does not foul the Romahome door. We also have a Harrison awning that we bought second hand over 20 years ago but seldom use these days.

Peter

Comment

Welcome, Tony, to the site. As you've seen, folk are only too keen to help others and if they don't know the answers then they will certainly know someone who does.

Di.

Comment

C15 romahome awning

Hi all and thanks for the much appreciated advice re the above.
          Can you tell me how you fitted the tunnel to the van? Did you use the usual caravan awning channel/ fig 8 arrangment? Or just lash it down over the vans roof ?
          I'm away later tonight in my van for a work related few days. The Roma home is just perfect for this with no accom fees to pay, I just park up on my clients property just great, not like work at all!

Comment

Originally posted by Tony View Post
            Hi all and thanks for the much appreciated advice re the above.
            Can you tell me how you fitted the tunnel to the van? Did you use the usual caravan awning channel/ fig 8 arrangment? Or just lash it down over the vans roof ?
            I'm away later tonight in my van for a work related few days. The Roma home is just perfect for this with no accom fees to pay, I just park up on my clients property just great, not like work at all!
            The romahome has no gutter to fix a figure 8 to. you put the tunnel over the rear of the van and the leading edge has a bungee cord sewn in and you use this to peg it down beside the rear wheels.
            Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

We have made a simple porch awning (from a piece of lightweight tarpaulin) If it proves successful we will buy some lightweight nylon flysheet material and make a proper one. It is secured to the van in the same way as our movelite but with a small addition. I bought 2 small dent pullers from Maplins and we fitted 2 elastic ties to the awning where it goes over the roof. The dent pullers are fixed to the roof and the elastics fastened to them

Photo

We also use a piece of tarpaulin as a side awning/sunshade
              Attached Files
              Last edited by peterholden; 26-09-2011, 16:29.

Comment

Oh Peter - nice! The side awning looks very much like the solution we came up with this summer when it proved sunnier than expected in Switzerland.

One thought about the rear porch - a flat awning like that might act like a large bucket if it rains heavily (thinks Tiverton). That was the problem we had with the Quick Tent design - in Germany it caught so much water and got so heavy it kept pulling pegs out.

One thought we had was to use thin fibreglass spars such as are used in making kites and sew corner pockets in the awning with the spars running diagonally across the tent roof. If the spars are just a little overlength they would bend up and provide a nice little dome shape for water to fall off.

We couldn't get that to work with the Quick Tent, it was always a bit fiddly to get up and over our R20 and the spars made it even more so, but with a home made solution they might be ideal.

We are still exploring options and I do like your approach. I worry about dent pullers actually making dents or at least marking the van but I think a trip to Maplins is in order - thanks for the idea.

Comment

Although it looks flat it slopes down from the van by about 2 inches so hopefully it should run off and not pool.

We have made similar awnings for previous campers but I cannot find the photos

Peter

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X