Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

electric heater for Romahome Hylo

Hi all,
    have bought a seventeen year old C15 based Hylo and camped last week at Aberfeldy while on a fishing trip and loved it. Now planning an October trip with my wife who wants some form of heating. Note that there is a 240v type plug. If I am plugged in at a campsite what current etc. can I get away with drawing for a portable heater? Better still can anyone recommend a heater they have successfully used?

Len

PS are not the brakes wonderful?
    Last edited by Len; 24-09-2011, 12:50. Reason: illiterate :-))

Hi Len

Welcome to the forum, we use a mini oil filled radiator in our Dimension gets us lovely toastie warm and doesn't make a sound, whereas some fan heaters are noisy.

Have a look at my video review of the oil filled radiator.

http://youtu.be/9lQgtTSBBP4
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Hi Len,
      I've got a C15 Hylo too! yes isn't it great just to get away quickly, my van has a propex heating system fitted, which is great, but uses the gas quickly. When on a hookup I just take along a small fan heater, tend to find it only needs to be on for ten minutes at a time then the van keeps toasty! It's not to hand at the moment but I think it was an Argos £12.00 one.
      Welcome to the forum, it's very friendly and theres lots of experience to be shared too.
      Happy trails
      Andyvan

Comment

Originally posted by Len View Post
        Hi all,
        have bought a seventeen year old C15 based Hylo and camped last week at Aberfeldy while on a fishing trip and loved it. Now planning an October trip with my wife who wants some form of heating. Note that there is a 240v type plug. If I am plugged in at a campsite what current etc. can I get away with drawing for a portable heater? Better still can anyone recommend a heater they have successfully used?

Len

PS are not the breaks wonderful?
        I had the brakes replaced on my C15 and had the system bled and refilled with brake fluid.The braking was fine after that,I figured my neck was worth it.
        I have a 1000W oil filled rad. from amazon, it was great all last winter.
        Most C&CC main sites and C.C main sites are 13amp on EHU.Some of the small sites may only be 6 or 10amp.this will still boil a kettle or run a rad.
        have fun,come to a meet and meet us .
        Ian
        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Hi there I use a very small halogen heater in my C15. It only needs to be on for a few minutes to warm the interior up. Maria

Comment

Hi Len,

We have used a small 500w heater with a single electric element for a number of years, has a thermostat control plus over temperature safety cut-out and you can only see a faint glow from the element in total darkness. No noise, very small, relatively safe in terms of proximity to combustibles and low power consumption when on site. Keeps the van very cosy in the coldest weather. Successfully used in our previous Rascal Romahomes and our larger Pilote when we had them. Great in the HYLO. These are sold as greenhouse heaters/frost protectors, often green in colour, but we managed to pick up a black one.

Hope this helps

Jim

Comment

Electric Heating

Hi Len
              For many years we have used a 500 watt Dimplex heater this can be free standing stood up or laid down it can be wall mounted by hooking on 2 round headed screws and there is a frost setting on the thermostat see
              http://www.dimplex.co.uk/products/do.../mph/index.htm
              there is a 1000 watt version but we opted for the smaller sized heater,
              at home in cold weather on permanant hook up we leave running on the frost setting to keep damp at bay

Alf

Comment

Hi Len and welcome. We have a small oil filled radiator, similar to the one suggested by Graham. BUT we also take along a small fan heater, which we use to get really warm and snug and then switch to the radiator for a more gentle background heat. The radiator can safely be left on all night to keep out the winter chills. It sounds as though your wife and I might share the addiction to warmth!

Extra kit can include a couple of hot water bottles and an snuggly blanket!
                Mary

Comment

I'm about to buy some form of heating for my Talbot Express as I'm off to Cornwall at the end of the week and expect the nights to be chilly so this thread has been really useful. Graham your review looked interesting but for some reason the sound cut out after the first few frames. Where did you purchase yours from and roughly how much did you have to pay?

Di.

Comment

Hello, Len and welcome to the site. You will find folk very friendly and only too eager to help answer questions and queries. Between everyone there is a wealth of knowledge about Roma Homes and other vans.

Di.

Comment

Originally posted by di allen View Post
                      Graham your review looked interesting but for some reason the sound cut out after the first few frames. Where did you purchase yours from and roughly how much did you have to pay?

Di.
                      Hello Di

We got our from Argos for £24.99 a few years ago there are plenty available such as this one AMAZON OIL FILLED RADIATOR or this one ARGOS OIL FILLED RADIATOR

Not sure why the sound on the video didn't work, it works for me.
                      Graham
                      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

And you could always snuggle up in a slanket (get a good quality one - they are SOOOO cosy!) A slanket is like a blanket with sleeves, so you wan wear it and still operate the remote control and wine glass when snuggled up on the settee.
                        Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue2011 View Post
                          And you could always snuggle up in a slanket (get a good quality one - they are SOOOO cosy!) A slanket is like a blanket with sleeves, so you wan wear it and still operate the remote control and wine glass when snuggled up on the settee.
                          Settee??? you have a settee in your HiLo? I missed that one, maybe it was behind the piano
                          Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                            Settee??? you have a settee in your HiLo? I missed that one, maybe it was behind the piano
                            HaHaHa,
                            Think she may have meant a sletee, smaller than the normal size to fit a hilo
                            Nice one Ian
                            If mistakes are the foundation of understanding, i have firm foundation,Underpinned by much in the way of I don't want to do that again

Comment

Heater advice

Hi all,
                              thanks for the great welcome and the range of detailed advice. Looks like my wife and I are going to spend a couple of nights in the Dunkeld/ Blair Atholl region come the October break (I'm a teacher).

Len

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X