Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter drain off

Hi Ant

I have the c15 the first camper van [3months] could you tell me the best way to drain the water system, do I have to disconnect the water pump, I would appreciate your help.

busybee

Hi Busybee.
    The C15 has a simple cold water system with the pump often at the lowest point of the system, which means it's very hard to get it completely free of water. Even if you take the pipe off the pump ( which is a bit of a fiddle) you can't be certain all the water is out. I drain the tank and clean it out then leave the tap open to allow the water in the system to drain back, finally I wrap the pump up to insulate it.
    When you come to prime the system in the spring you'll need to get the air out of the pump, quickest way is to suck it out via the tap!
    Ant

Comment

Winter drain off

Ant,
      Many thanks for the information.I park the c15 on a downward slope, do you think this [drive down] would be an advantage when draining the system. or would it be better on a level surface.

busybee

Comment

Hi Ant, I have the feeling I am about to ask a very silly question but here goes! In your winter drain down advice you start off by saying "pump out water with both taps open". You finish by saying "turn your attention to the tap inside, unscrew the faucet from the base (you'll get a bit wet) and leave it off during the freezing weather.
        The water has already been drained out of the two tap outlets (faucets) and they have been left in the open position. So why do you need to remove the faucet (presumably the complete tap fitting)?
        Go on, make me look silly!
        In any case, how do you reinstate the system in the Spring?
        Thanks, Graham (and Carole)

Comment

I can answer that fro experience.

A small amount of water appears to settle inside the fawcet whatever you do and it freezes an splits it along the seam which is very thin.

Peter

Comment

You can have all the qualifications in the world and understand all the theory to solving a problem, but nothing beats experience and you never stop learning!
            Peter is right, the water always gets trapped in the tap faucet and after a very hard frost can split the body of it. I learnt many years ago when I had to replace about a dozen one Spring!
            Ant
            Ps. reinstating the system is simple, just fill the water tank and turn the pump on, once the air has been driven from the pump and water is flowing evenly from the tap, turn off the cold tap, wait for the water to appear from the hot tap. Job done.
            Last edited by ant; 20-10-2011, 07:28.

Comment

Thanks for water draining info.

Thanks Ant and Peter. That clears up 2 mysteries. We are so lucky to have people on this forum with "the knowledge". Graham

Comment

confession

Hi I have a confession to make, firstly we never drink from the in built water tank. Only for washing us and the pots.
                For years wether for the caravan or C15 Romahome we drain the tank /pump of water til it gurgles, then neat screen wash pump it through til blue in sink.
                In the spring we put a hose pipe in tank / supply and run tap til no foam giving it a break every 5 mins or so. Takes about 15 mins of running tap with hose pipe connected before foam goes.
                Last winter and the year before it got down to -18c and no damage.
                Am I doing something seriously wrong ?

Comment

Hi Peter.
                  I don't think Screen wash would be a problem, normal antifreeze might not be such a good Idea.
                  Ant

Comment

Thanks Ant,
                    glad to hear screenwash is ok.

Comment

I do not have a hot water system in my R20 just cold. Do I have to do anything?

I was just planning on running out the water until it stopped and leaving the drain open on the waste water tank. Is this enough???

Comment

Take the tap spout off!!!

Comment

non toxic anti freeze

Non toxic antifreeze

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought some Aquafax non Toxic antifreeze from a Marine Chandler . Added to the cold water tank and pumped around the hot water system . Also i added it to the toilet

BRIAN

Comment

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I am being told to take the tap off... but looking at the waste drain point there is no obvious way to take this off.

Was totally confused but a friend has just told me this is the tap inside the camper, like the real tap over the sink. Do I just unscrew the real tap inside the camper, the sink over the loo?.. Is this possible?... I will have to investigate.

I should not be allowed out with a camper.. am just not compentent!
                            Last edited by Tentpeg; 30-10-2011, 20:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Tentpeg View Post
                              Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I am being told to take the tap off... but looking at the waste drain point there is no obvious way to take this off.

Was totally confused but a friend has just told me this is the tap inside the camper, like the real tap over the sink. Do I just unscrew the real tap inside the camper, the sink over the loo?.. Is this possible?... I will have to investigate.

I should not be allowed out with a camper.. am just not compentent!
                              Totally disagree,you are brill at making people happy,and thats special.
                              Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X