C15 romahome suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C15 romahome suspension

Hi ant. I've been in touch with our friend rio and he has pointed me in your direction. My van is looking a bit tired and although handles ok it does need the back end needs lifting up somewhat. I have been on to Grayson re thier spring assisters kit 100.00. +. My question is do you happen to know wether these will actually raise the rear end and also does one have to mess about with coil springs which as you know require special tools. I am quite able in mechanics etc but I dont want to take on much more than a bolt on mod. Thanks tony

Hi Tony.
    The Grayston spring assistors will raise the back end slightly ( 2inches or so), they're very simple to fit and you only need a 13mm spanner. Order the heavy duty springs.
    ant

Comment

C15 Grayson spring assisters

Hi ant. Thanks for info. Tony

Comment

C15 suspension assisters

Hi ant, bearing in mind the high price that Grayson want for a set of assisters and that member rio is not able to help, I thought I might have a go at making a set myself. I do a bit of mig welding so I think I could handle the top and bottom retaining cups etc . Do you have any idea of the spring dimensions and load ratings ? Thanks tony

Comment

Hi Tony.
          I'm afraid I don't have any technical spec of the spring assistors on the C15, if you do make them yourself just keep in mind the rear brakes. The C15 has pretty poor rear brakes on a good day, if you lift the back of the vehicle on strong springs you will effectively reduce the rear brakes even more. You will need to adjust the rear brake regulator valve to effectively fool the brakes into thinking there is a heavier load on the back axle otherwise you wont have any rear brakes.
          Ant

Comment

C15 spring assisters

Thanks I'll bear that in mind. T

Comment

While you are underneath check that the regulator is working and not seized. They can be freed off with a little patience and WD40 or the like then lubricate the pivot. Garages do not waste their time, they just fit a new one.

Comment

Tony,

Off the top of my head the spring length should be 180- 210mm
                wire thickness 8mm, inner diameter about 45 mm outer diameter 62mm ish
                top has either a steel ring or no ring and goes over the rubber stop.

the bottom support should have a tube of 40-44 mm outer diameter on an angle the same as the original ally bumpstop. tube should be 50 mm long to hold bottom of spring in place.

Consider Ant's advice on rear proportion valve very seriously because if you do not adjust the valve you will crash into a vehicle in front that stopped to quick.

It's not as easy as it looks though. Alternatly you can wait a month for me to make a dozen more as I get so many queries.

Comment

C15 spring assisters

Hi guys, thanks for your replies etc, Think I will wait for rio to make some more.however that particular problem has been somewhat superseeded as whilst I was out today, traveling over a bumpy surface the rear near side wheel locked up on two occasions and then freed itself and ran ok for the rest of my 60 mile journey, planning to inspect the wheels, brakes tomorrow just hope it's a brake problem and not the dreaded suspension bushes on the way out😒will be looking for tyre rubbing on body, suspension etc. will post on further investigation. Thanks to all
                  Last edited by Tony; 14-11-2011, 23:30. Reason: Incorrect name for suspension bushes

Comment

If your wheel locked up it would not be the suspension bushes because the tyre rubs the inner arch first when worn, you would hear and smell them. It's almost certain to be the brakes on that particular side. If you can put your finger between tyre and arch then your bushes are OK. Assisters take a lot of strain off the bushes.The cylinder could be seized and several other reasons too.

Comment

C15 suspension

Hi rio, thanks for your valued input. I removed the wheel and drum on the side in question and made a close inspection . Could find no evidence of rubbing on the wheel arches. The rear brakes were completely overhauled 4000 miles ago by a reputable garage(previous owner supplied me with the recei
                      pts) and also a new compensator was fitted. Everything looked like it should so I gave the drum a sweep out and had a carefully sprayed abit of lube around the whole area. Checked that the wheels spun freely and went out on 20 mile test drive without any probs.
                      On further reflection the problem has only shown itself after parking overnight with the hand brake on so perhaps the problem is in the cable/mechanism etc.
                      I propose to leave the brake off and see if that makes any difference. Glad it's not those suspension bushes.
                      When you have assisters available please pm me. Thanks tony

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X