The cab heater - which doesn't ....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The cab heater - which doesn't ....

I've posted this on the general discussion forum, then I saw this one - sorry about the confusion ...

Dear Ant

I've just bought a hylo Romahome about 17 years old, but still good to go. There are a few things which need sorting, and one, with winter coming on, is the heater. Basically, it doesn't. Even with the fan full on, there's nothing but a vague warmness in the centre of the console. My right (driving) side is freezing. Is this usual, or can anything be done? I've tried all sorts of combinations of opening and closing vents and sliding the sliders. The vent on the dashboard at the extreme right hand side blows out freezing air, even when closed, and at floor level in the driver's footwell, there's something doing pretty much the same.

Also, the heater fan needs suppressing, as when it's on, it turns the radio into a noisy crackle, no matter which station I try and tune it to.

All suggestions and recommendations will be very gratefully received.

Alternatively, is there any sort of small heater I could plug into the cigarette socket which could warm up the cab while driving?

PS I found this: BLACKFIRE HEATER / COOLER (NOV-32210)

12V Ceramic Heater and fan provides instant heat in winter and cool air in summer. With multi-position rotating swivel base and commuting switch from heat to fan. Mounts easily with included screws or adhesive pads. CE tested. 10 x 14 x 9cm. It's about £15.

http://www.the12voltshop.co.uk/Shop/...ov-32210-.html

Would it work?

Thanks so much for all your help!
    Last edited by maid of soay; 22-11-2011, 12:08.

Originally posted by maid of soay View Post
    I've posted this on the general discussion forum, then I saw this one - sorry about the confusion ...

Dear Ant

I've just bought a hylo Romahome about 17 years old, but still good to go. There are a few things which need sorting, and one, with winter coming on, is the heater. Basically, it doesn't. Even with the fan full on, there's nothing but a vague warmness in the centre of the console. My right (driving) side is freezing. Is this usual, or can anything be done? I've tried all sorts of combinations of opening and closing vents and sliding the sliders. The vent on the dashboard at the extreme right hand side blows out freezing air, even when closed, and at floor level in the driver's footwell, there's something doing pretty much the same.

Also, the heater fan needs suppressing, as when it's on, it turns the radio into a noisy crackle, no matter which station I try and tune it to.

All suggestions and recommendations will be very gratefully received.

Alternatively, is there any sort of small heater I could plug into the cigarette socket which could warm up the cab while driving?

Thanks so much for all your help!
    The first question has to be "Does the engine reach normal running temperature?" If not a replacement cooling thermostat is indicated.
    There are two other main causes of cold heaters:-
    1. On some vehicles it is possible for air to get trapped in the heater preventing water flow. These vehicles usually have "bleed" points in the water circuit.
    2. "Gunge" can build up in a heater preventing adequate water flow. the cure here (hopefully) is to flush the heater with water from a hosepipe in the REVERSE direction to normal. That is from the lower heater hose on the engine towards the higher one.
    Jim.

Oh, and a "choke" fitted in the radio supply might cure that problem.
    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

I'll print this out and any other suggestions and take them to the chap round the corner ... Thanks for all that. I'm not very technical. Not at all, actually.

Comment

Follow what Jim says

For the heater motor it sounds like the brushes are very worn and are "arcing", this is causing the interference. I doubt that the motor will be available new but when we had a C15 I took the motor out (it is up under the dash on the drivers side and a bit of a fiddle but it can be got out.) It is not meant to come apart but it can be done and the brushes and commutator overhauled.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by maid of soay View Post
          I'll print this out and any other suggestions and take them to the chap round the corner ... Thanks for all that. I'm not very technical. Not at all, actually.
          Can't help at all, just wanted to say, don't you just love those men around the corner who can do! Engine bits are not my strong point either, mine goes to a garage up the road!

Comment

Hi Maid of soay.
            Don't get too excited about the right and left hand heater vent getting warm on a C15, they don't, they just go to the outside world. The only heated vents are in the centre and at your feet. To add to the advice already given, there is a heater valve situated under the dash on the passenger side, just check the valve opens when you move the slide on the heater controls, the cables have a habit of coming away from the clamp and then you get no valve opening.
            Ant

Comment

Thanks for all this information, everyone - I shall print it all out and take it to the man round the corner. Strangely enough, it wasn't cold (it wasn't HOT) this afternoon, driving in dank weather. When I drove to and from Leeds and to and from Northumberland over this last week, there were times when it was freezing, and the outside world was no colder than this afternoon.

Cars, dont you love them ( hm)

Comment