Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cracks appearing!

Hi Ant,
    I have a Romahome hylo with the toilet option. I have noticed the there are cracks appearing on the fibreglass (?) around the hinges for the small cupboard above the sink.
    It appears to be only cosmetic at the moment. Could I do anything to reinforce the inside of the cupboard to stop the cracks getting worse? And how easy would it be to repair from the outside so it looked as good as new?
    Regards,
    Dan

Hi Dan.
    Small cracks in GRP are best left alone simply because to repair them you need to turn them into big cracks! They normally occur on that locker after the door has been allowed to swing open hard, I doubt it's something that you'll do often as an owner so they might not get any worse.
    Ant

Comment

Originally posted by andanotherthing View Post
      I have noticed the there are cracks appearing on the fibreglass (?) around the hinges for the small cupboard above the sink. Could I do anything to .... stop the cracks getting worse?
      There's a trick of the trade which was used by 'erks' (aircraft ground crew) in WWII which might be worth a try.

Plexiglass (now Perspex) was in short supply and expensive. If a crack appeared they used to stop it spreading by drilling a very small hole (2mm or so) right at the very end of the crack. It was known to work in most cases.

Although GRP is different from acrylic in many respects I don't see why this shouldn't work. For cosmetic purposes you could fill the hole with a suitably coloured mastic.

Comment

I agree with Paul as I have used the drill cure with cracks in GRP many times in the past with 100% success. All I can add is to use the smallest twist drill that you can to do the job. I have always used 1mm, or even thinner, if I can get away with it. Calls for a very steady hand, though.

Tony

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'm a bit nervous to give it a try now but if cracks get worse I will give it a go

Comment

Hi Found this on ebay and thought of you! Don't know if it's any good though!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Captain-Tolley...item5886201830

Comment

it worked very well when we needed to seal a small leak around the windows in our roma, I used a syringe and needle to drip it into the place I wanted it, its very runny!! It goes on white but dries clear. Towsure sell it in smaller bottles, we bought 2 and used about 1/5 of a bottle, it goes a long way. Haven't tried it for anything else though, we still carry a bottle with us, just in case
              Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

here's a smaller version I think::

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CREEPING-CRACK...item51909e8976

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                Working...
                X