Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows for Romahome

Hi there

I've just bought my first Romahome. It's on a Suzuki Carry. The Romahome is 1980s I think and it badly needs new windows. Do you know where I'd get some from, please? Also, is there anything you can suggest to improve security as it seems really easy to get into the back?

Many thanks

Is it possible for you to post a pic of the body and windows? Then Ant could probably identify the type you need.

Regarding the back door - do you have a locking handle that pulls upward to lock from the inside? There's usually a little snib which swivels over the gap as well, which also makes it secure from the inside.

Comment

Hi Dolly.
      If your van body is an early 80's one with fixed non opening windows you may wish to think about just changing the rubbers as window replacement is now quite expensive and entails removing the old windows and sending them off to be match made. Equally the rectangular opening windows would also need the same treatment for replacement. If one edge of the window slopes, then it can be replaced with the C15 Hytop window. In all cases you need to speak to Colin at "ECO" on 01274 679524 and if you're not too far from West Yorkshire take the van and show him what you need.
      Thanks
      Ant

Comment

Windows for Romahome

Thanks Ant and JayJay

Yes, I think it is early 80s as the windows don't open. Is it easy enough to get the rubber seals then?
        I'll have a look at the back door JayJay and see what you mean.
        Once I've worked out how to do it, I'll post a picture

many thanks

Comment

Try Seals direct, Dolly - online for window seals - they sell loads of different ones, so you might like to phone or email if you don't know which seals you need.

The seals on mine were pretty naff, but if there's no water coming in, leave them alone!! You'll need two ppl, one training a hosepipe on the windows and the other inside to see if or where there are any leaks - or just sit there with a cup of tea on a rainy day!! I had one leak through mine, and I fixed it with a translucent sealer outside and inside, I got it from a car parts shop, looks a bit like a tube of toothpaste with a nozzle!.

Here's a pic of my old Roma (sounds like you have exactly the same one, windows and all!) If you look at the back door handle - once shut (with you inside), if you pull it upwards, that locks it from the inside, so no-one can open the door from the outside. Check it works that way with another person trying to get in once you've locked it. If you look further down, towards the bottom of the left hand/opening side of the door, you can just about see a black snib..There are two which fasten the stable door together further up and one on its own down at the bottom... once the door is closed with you inside, the bottom snib swivels across the door opening to the wall and secures the bottom half of the door.

I knew I'd kept the photos of Daisy for some reason!!

Comment

Hi Dolly.
            The rubber seals used on your windows are the old fashioned windscreen rubbers called Clayton-wright rubbers, I get them from my local mobile windscreens company. I think they still use them on the side windows of coaches etc. In fact you could ask the mobile windscreen company to come and change them for you, just be sure to tell them the windows are brittle and will need to have the old rubbers cut out.
            Ant

Comment

Many thanks for that

Comment

New Windows Disaster

Our 80s Romahome has been off the road for 6 weeks now to get new windows fitted. The new windows have been made to match the original ones. The fitter has tried 3 types of rubbers without success. He says he gets the windows in and then they pop out again because the body work is slighly rounded and the windows are flat. He said it is a problem because there is only one skin to the bodywork and it is flexible. He said he can't fit the windows with the rubbers available today. I will check if he has tried the Clayton Wright rubbers.

He has now suggested fitting wooden frames to attach the windows some how. I guess the fitter is exasperated by now and we want our van back.

Can anyone suggest what we can do?

Patricia and Angela

Comment

Hi Patriscott.
                  I'd get the local mobile windscreen company to come out to it and sort the rubbers that you need out. Wooden frames would need fitting to the single skin with screws or rivets through the fibreglass which will leave a potential leaking problem.
                  Ant

Comment

We've got our Romahome back!!

Thank you Ant.

Autoglass put the windows in in 1hour 30mins. The van is transformed! Autoglass insure their work for the length of time we own the vehicle. They suggested coming back in a few weeks to give the rubbers chance to settle in. Then they will take the glass out again and seal inside the rubbers to make sure it is well sealed.

Patricia

Comment

Wow Patriscott!

Six weeks mucking about and then done in 1.5 hours! I'm impressed!

What a blessing Ant is to this forum.

Comment

Ahhh - so this thread ISN'T about a suitable operating system for your on-board computer.........

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by snobbyafghan View Post
                          Ahhh - so this thread ISN'T about a suitable operating system for your on-board computer.........

Doug

Nice one Doug.
                          Graham
                          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Hi Patriscott

Where did you get your windows made and can i ask now much they were?

How much did the mobile window compant charge?

Cheers

Comment

Hi Reggie's dad

We got the windows from"ECO" on 01274 679524 via the man who was going to fit them. They cost about £200 a piece and Eco collects your old windows to use as templates (the windows are often slightly different sizes, so they need to take both).
                              Autoglass fitted the windows for £140 (£50 + VAT for fitting the rest was the cost of the Clayton Wright seals).
                              The new windows are great but they do seem to be a bit less rigid than the originals. Of course, that could be because the old ones were brittle with age!

Hope this helps

Patriscott and Dolly

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X