X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1995 C15 Romahome questions

Hi Ant

Just wondered if you might be able to help with these three queries;

1. The engine (diesel - 1.9 I think) appears amazingly weak - we live on a hill and starting from the hill position, we struggle to get it out of first gear going up the hill and it's not that steep. It can be embarrassing holding up the traffic! Having said that, once on the motorway, assuming no hills, it's happy at 65-70 and starts first time every time regardless of the weather. Our question is - is this normal?

2. The headlights are v dim - I went to Halfords and another supplier to be told by both that more powerful bulbs can't be fitted - yet I'm sure I've seen on this forum that this is possible? I've not been able to find anything using the search function - can you comment?

3. The heater fan is v weak - demisting has to be done with a paper towel! Again is this normal?

Any help on these queries greatfully received (otherwise it's great!}

Cheers

Ian

Ian

Cant help with the performance but there is a solution to the lights.

Replace the bulbs with 55/60W halogen bulbs available off the Internet. There are two different fittings so make sure that you get the correct ones.

I dis this to mine and it made a fantastic difference.

Comment

Hello Ian,
      I had a 94 C15 Hylo for 3 years before trading in for my Outlook. I had the painfully slow up hill problem you describe. I took it to a local diesel expert who simply tweaked the tuning (or some other technical type thing) for £20. What a difference! Before this it was so slow on an incline that I was at the point of selling it, instead we headed up to the Isle of Arran for a great holiday.Hopefully yours is a similar problem too.
      Aileen

Comment

Replace the bulbs with 55/60W halogen bulbs available off the Internet. There are two different fittings so make sure that you get the correct ones.
        Mine is a similar age and the bulbs in it were 45W on main beam. I can't think of any reason why such inadequate bulbs should ever have been fitted since it became no longer compulsory for a motorised carriage to be preceded by a man with a red flag.

Another thing to check is this: the C15 regular body is a van and there is an adjuster to compensate the beam level for load / non-load variations. It is worth checking that your headlights are correctly adjusted at the same time that you fit the new bulbs.

Comment

I have a 93 C15 hylo and have some performance issues with hills too, especially from a cold start. I don't think you can do too much about it but making sure you've had a thorough service will certainly help.

As for the hot air fans mine are reasonably strong but you have to remember to cut off the airflow to the blower so it gets directed at the windscreen. Saying that I do keep a leather shammy in the door to help speed things up when i'm feeling impatient.

The person I purchased mine off had evidently been in a collision at some point and had replaced the headlights. They seem to have reasonably powerful halogens in them so that is a possibility if you can fit new bulbs to your existing lamps.

My main irritation with my van is the fact that being tall, my eyeline is partly outside of the are of windscreen covered by the wiper. I either need to loose a vertebrae or get a seat that can be adjusted lower.

Comment

Hi Ian.
            It sounds like you're not getting full throttle, the C15 was never a speed machine but flat out on a motorway you should be able to get the speedo reading well over 80 without feeling like you're forcing it.
            If you look at the throttle cable as it attaches to the fuel pump under the bonnet you'll see it has and outer sleave that is attached with a spring clip. Get someone (or use a brick) to push the pedal down fully ( with engine off and no mats on the floor), then pull the outer cable away from the pump and refit the spring clip in the new position. The lever on the top of the pump that the cable controls should now be touching or very nearly touching the stop.
            Lights can be changed for 55/60 halogens.
            The heater blower motor may be getting tired. with the blower going give the blower housing a bang with your hand, ( it can be found to the right of the steering column under the dash and is a black, round dome), if the motor speeds up it needs either replacing or taking out and the commutator cleaning.
            Ant

Comment

Peter, Aileen, Sloeman, Ant

THANK YOU!! for your swift and helpful replies! I'll let you know how I get on with them

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Whoops - forgot to say thanks to Paul!!

Comment

With regard to your fan, the brushes could be worn, even the springs that push the brushes onto the amateur may be week or one could be broke. It's possible the fan rotor rubs against the plastic housing.

My fan was very week and I found all those faults so I bought another fan for £60 from GSF. 2 nuts hold it in place and you may have to fiddle with the side trim to get it in position.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X