Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eeek Water - Help

Hi,

A few weeks ago I went to my Romahome which I keep in storage and found a small puddle of water on floor just inside the rear door, which I duly mopped up. It had been raining heavily and I don't think the door seal is in the best of health.

Yesterday I went to pick the camper up and there was a sizeable lake, which took two large bath towels to soak it up resulting in about a 1/4 bucket of water, again it had been raining heavily the night before and previously.

I then drove the camper about 8 miles and when I got to the destination there was a puddle again!!!! Help, where is it coming from as yesterday was dry? Felt round by the fridge and it was dry and I havent used the water tanks so......

I do want to change the door seal anyway but my nearest stockist is Southampton, what information would be needed to get the right one. The person I spoke to a few weeks ago was wanting photos etc?? Could something like this be posted to me do you think.

Sorry but whilst on this forum, the last owner managed to take out the roof light with a height bar, despite then proudly saying that the owner before him at put the height details etc on the sun visor ermm! He has stuck it down and sealed shut but I would like to get it replaced to open again, is this a big job so that it was likely to require being kept over night, or could someone with reasonable skills be able to fit themselves, again if so what information would be required? I did feel round to see if this was where the water was coming from.

Any help on this really would be appreciated, the water problem is the priority though

Thanks in anticipation

Ann & Rosie (who doesn't like wading through water)

Originally posted by Pallingham View Post
    Hi,

A few weeks ago I went to my Romahome which I keep in storage and found a small puddle of water on floor just inside the rear door, which I duly mopped up. It had been raining heavily and I don't think the door seal is in the best of health.

Yesterday I went to pick the camper up and there was a sizeable lake, which took two large bath towels to soak it up resulting in about a 1/4 bucket of water, again it had been raining heavily the night before and previously.

I then drove the camper about 8 miles and when I got to the destination there was a puddle again!!!! Help, where is it coming from as yesterday was dry? Felt round by the fridge and it was dry and I havent used the water tanks so......

I do want to change the door seal anyway but my nearest stockist is Southampton, what information would be needed to get the right one. The person I spoke to a few weeks ago was wanting photos etc?? Could something like this be posted to me do you think.

Sorry but whilst on this forum, the last owner managed to take out the roof light with a height bar, despite then proudly saying that the owner before him at put the height details etc on the sun visor ermm! He has stuck it down and sealed shut but I would like to get it replaced to open again, is this a big job so that it was likely to require being kept over night, or could someone with reasonable skills be able to fit themselves, again if so what information would be required? I did feel round to see if this was where the water was coming from.

Any help on this really would be appreciated, the water problem is the priority though

Thanks in anticipation

Ok,
    1 - the Romahome centre in Southampton can do repairs,
    2 - have you filled the drinking water tank,it may be leaking,if the answer is no then its the door seal.
    3 - yes you can relace door seals yourself,ask Jayjay for details.
    4 - rooflight,this may be obsolete and need a new one fitting,I would get romahome Southampton to do this. they may be able to do all in a day,you need to phone them and talk to Neville.
    Ian
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

First thing to do is find out where that water is coming from. If you've used the fridge, that would amount to a small puddle maybe, but nothing like you describe. Have a look underneath and see if there are any holes which might be forcing water up from puddles you have driven through. If there is carpet or other covering where the water is, get it up and see what's underneath.

Get someone to sit inside, whilst you use a hosepipe on all suspected places for water ingress to see where it's coming in. Then proceed from there. Once you know what is causing it, there are numerous remedies, including new seals, new doors, new skylights. Seals for everything can be found at www.sealsdirect.com, and they will send you samples or match up a sample you send them.

It could be that, although you haven't used the onboard water tank, it still has water in it and it is sloshing about, and that the pipe has come off, that's a usual 'puddle on the floor' secenario... which you can put in a search for on the Ask Ant section as he has sorted a number of tank leaks out now!

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Comment

Here's the linky for seals direct

http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/shoppin...DepartmentId=8

I used some of the door strip ET57 in the edge trims and seals section on my demountable romahome. I didn't take out the door seal and replace that, just added this to the metal edge of the door and it worked! I'm just about to do the same with my caravan door, as it's rather draughty!

Rule of thumb for doors, if you can see daylight through it from the inside, then water or draughts will get in. Sometimes this can be sorted by rehanging the door on a romahome, and Ant will explain how if that is the case.

Comment

Thanks for all suggestions.

Purchased and drove from Eastleigh so think if water tank had water in it / leaking would have shown itself but will check it out just in case.

Van has not moved since day after purchased at beginning of November therefore unlikely water coming from underneath so reckon door seals are the likely culprit just odd how I acquired more water on return trip to storage unless it was caught somewhere.

Will give seals direct a try, may be a good option for an old caravan I have down I'm Spain as well!

Will keep you posted....

Ann

Comment

twin1

we had a problem with roof light on our Duo. We had no problem buying a replacement online .Just the top half which was very easy to fit

We bought it from MPK on the internet and the model number with them was 42. it cost approx £37.

That was about 6 months ago. Hope this is a help to you.

Comment

Lots of water leak remedies here!

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/foru...ead.php?t=3078

Comment

Originally posted by Pallingham View Post
                Hi,

Thanks in anticipation

Hi Ann & Rosie.
                You'll get lots of leak remedies on this forum. One I've found increasingly common on the Duo and other R20's is the seal around the upper fridge vent, not the bit that is removable but the bit thats screwed to the van. If water runs down the body of the van over the vent it can run behind the fridge and appear in the footwell. Extra water appearing after driving is normal if you've got a leak, the areas under the sink and fridge units can store water, only releasing it when you slosh it about while driving.
                The vent you need is an "MPK intergrated 400x400" most caravan dealers will stock and be able to fit them.
                Thanks
                Ant

Comment

Hi Ant,

Thank you for that, it sounds very likely to be the problem due to the appearance of more water after driving. To be honest I also only fixed the winter cover to the fridge vent on Sunday as well due to only just having found it.

Another question, I was given a photocopy of the manual and it states there should be a bed extension, can't find it! Is this something I could obtain? Also and by far the most important I cannot locate the winder for the rear steadies which the manual states is clipped in side locker (no visible clips either) have located wheel brace and jack but this isn't suitable. I purchased a long brace from caravan accessories place which I thought would be small enough to get through hole in bumber, but of course it wasn't! Any suggestions as don't want to lay under van every time with a socket set!

Thanks

Ann

Comment

Hi Ann.
                    The bed extension on the Duo differs to the current R20, you may have t6o contact Romahome Stores and ask if they can get the older type. The rear steady handle sometimes needed grinding down a bit to fit through the hole in the bumper, even Romahome came across the problem when a larger sized socket was welded to the crank handle. You normally find the cheapest winding handles are the ones that fit!
                    Thanks
                    Ant

Comment

re- the winding handle. Go to your nearest caravan shop/store and ask to try some of theirs before you buy one. If you explain the problem they might be able to order one for you if they don't have the right one in stock.

Comment

Hi Ant,

Well after a wet night I have discovered the source of my leak, the roof vent repair! The plastic used is brittle and cracking and when I ran my finger along one I ended up with a hole grrrr. This has now become a priority replacement.

My nearest stockest is Southampton so not terribly local or convenient, do you think that a caravan repairers would be able to replace the unit or do you think I need to go to a dealership? I do have the build number of the Romahome.

Thanks for any advice

Ann & Rosie

P.S managed to get a winder sorted for the corner steadies

Comment

Hi Ann & Rosie.
                          You should be able to go to any Caravan or Motorhome place and get the vent replaced, you'll need to ask for an "MPK intergrated roof vent 400x400", it's not specific to Romahome and is commonly used on Caravans and other Motorhomes.
                          Thanks
                          Ant

Comment

Hi Ant,

Thanks for that, will make my life a whole lot easier and I should be able to get it fixed before the spring meet.

My temporary repair is holding at present but the rain is still falling so bucket at the ready!

Thanks again

Ann & Rosie

Comment

Roof vent

Hi
                              Try the Chichester caravan dealers on the A259 Nutbourne between Chichester & Emsworth
                              Pete

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X