Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice

I have a 1987 Bedford Rascal demountable Romahome and am considering removing the rear cab window to allow contact with our dogs when travelling. Will this have any adverse effect, what are the main disadvantages.

Does anyone make a replacment window that can be opened as needed.

Bill Mitchell
    Last edited by Maplib; 24-03-2012, 01:44.

Morning, maplib, and welcome to the forum,

Can't answer your query but, be assured, someone who can will soon be along to help. This is the most friendly forum I've ever been on, folk are very knowledgeable and only too happy to help out other users.

Let us know how you get on; we love photos of projects so, if you can, do post some of your before and after.

Di.

Comment

Morning Bill, welcome to the forum

I know what you are considering is possible as jayjay did it to her demountable so I'm sure she will be able to give you all the pro's and con's.
      Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Originally posted by di allen View Post
        Morning, maplib, and welcome to the forum,

Can't answer your query but, be assured, someone who can will soon be along to help. This is the most friendly forum I've ever been on, folk are very knowledgeable and only too happy to help out other users.

Let us know how you get on; we love photos of projects so, if you can, do post some of your before and after.

Di.
        Thanks I am surprised at the speed of responces

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by glenw View Post
          Morning Bill, welcome to the forum

I know what you are considering is possible as jayjay did it to her demountable so I'm sure she will be able to give you all the pro's and con's.
          Thanks I look forward to hearing from Jay Jay:so happy:

Comment

Hi Bill.
            If the body and pick-up are an original matched pair, you have the option of removing the cab window and the body should make a seal to the cab. If the body has been mounted on a later pick-up you may need to create your own seal between the body and cab to stop noise and water ingress. It can be a simple seal using pipe insulation. You can then put a mesh guard or something similar to stop the dog trying to join you in the cab!
            I'm sure Jay Jay has come up with a suitable solution too, which she'll be happy to share with you.
            Thanks
            Ant

Comment

Originally posted by ant View Post
              Hi Bill.
              If the body and pick-up are an original matched pair, you have the option of removing the cab window and the body should make a seal to the cab. If the body has been mounted on a later pick-up you may need to create your own seal between the body and cab to stop noise and water ingress. It can be a simple seal using pipe insulation. You can then put a mesh guard or something similar to stop the dog trying to join you in the cab!
              I'm sure Jay Jay has come up with a suitable solution too, which she'll be happy to share with you.
              Thanks
              Ant
              Thanks
              As far as I know the body and pickup are an original matched pair so may well try the modification

Comment

Hi Bill! Yes, not only is it perfectly possible, but it's much better than having the dog(s) completely shut off in the rear! There wasn't a window in the cab, just one at the front of the Roma, and that just popped out of its seal. I left the seal in place.

I used some expanded neoprene rubber cord (from Seals Direct) to push in between the two windows to completely cut out any draughts and water ingress, and it worked a treat. I used a large screwdriver to push it into the gap around the two windows. Or you can use pipe insulation as Ant suggested.

My dog preferred to stay seated on a bed (suitably covered) and so I didn't need a mesh to stop her getting in the front with me. She had a harness on, attached by a stretchy cord to a grab handle to stop her flying about too far in the case of an accident or sudden braking. It was the best solution I could come up with as there were no rear seat belts to attach the harness to. However, my dog would sit and stay on command anyway, so it wasn't a problem.

Other advantages include being able to post anything you don't want in with you at night (such as the back cushions) through the gap and into the cab, without having to walk around. Also on a hot day, you can wind down your windows on the move and the dogs can get fresh air that way. Good on a hot night as well, when you're trying to sleep. Mine was a mark 1 body, with sealed side windows, so there was only the door and skylight to let in some air. After I took out the window, I could sleep a lot better, it didn't seem so claustrophobic.

( If your dogs are small, you can push back the seat belt catches in the cab, put a blanket over and they can sleep in there overnight - if they can jump up into the cab that is!)

The disadvantages - only one really - is that you will from then on, hear every squeak, rattle and bump that goes on in the roma body! That's if you can hear it over the engine under your bum! It didn't bother me too much once I got used to it. LOL!!

I looked (forever it seemed to me), to find an opening window but to no avail.

Edited to add, keep the little window safe, if you ever want to sell it or put the body onto another vehicle, you will need it!
                Last edited by jayjay; 24-03-2012, 11:12.

Comment

:so happy:
                  Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                  Hi Bill! Yes, not only is it perfectly possible, but it's much better than having the dog(s) completely shut off in the rear! There wasn't a window in the cab, just one at the front of the Roma, and that just popped out of its seal. I left the seal in place.

I used some expanded neoprene rubber cord (from Seals Direct) to push in between the two windows to completely cut out any draughts and water ingress, and it worked a treat. I used a large screwdriver to push it into the gap around the two windows. Or you can use pipe insulation as Ant suggested.

My dog preferred to stay seated on a bed (suitably covered) and so I didn't need a mesh to stop her getting in the front with me. She had a harness on, attached by a stretchy cord to a grab handle to stop her flying about too far in the case of an accident or sudden braking. It was the best solution I could come up with as there were no rear seat belts to attach the harness to. However, my dog would sit and stay on command anyway, so it wasn't a problem.

Other advantages include being able to post anything you don't want in with you at night (such as the back cushions) through the gap and into the cab, without having to walk around. Also on a hot day, you can wind down your windows on the move and the dogs can get fresh air that way. Good on a hot night as well, when you're trying to sleep. Mine was a mark 1 body, with sealed side windows, so there was only the door and skylight to let in some air. After I took out the window, I could sleep a lot better, it didn't seem so claustrophobic.

( If your dogs are small, you can push back the seat belt catches in the cab, put a blanket over and they can sleep in there overnight - if they can jump up into the cab that is!)

The disadvantages - only one really - is that you will from then on, hear every squeak, rattle and bump that goes on in the roma body! That's if you can hear it over the engine under your bum! It didn't bother me too much once I got used to it. LOL!!

I looked (forever it seemed to me), to find an opening window but to no avail.

Edited to add, keep the little window safe, if you ever want to sell it or put the body onto another vehicle, you will need it!
                  Thanks very much for the information. Sounds perfect :so happy: Now just need to pluck up the courage to pop the window !!!!!!

Comment

We've got a Suzuki demountable and did exactly what you want to do. Our dogs seemed a bit perturbed at being separated from us, so we had the cab window removed (at Autoglass). We made a 'cuff' out of leather look fabric the same colour as the walls. We used Self adhesive Velcro on the cab and on the cuff, one edge of the cuff Velcros itself to the carpeting and the other to the cab. This means here is flexibility between the cab and the 'pod' when it's moving and keeps out the draughts. It's also removable, so that more air can be let in if it gets really hot (for the dogs' benefit). We also had a piece of Perspex cut and we Velcro this onto the cab windows space at night to keep out the draughts. The whole thing works really well.

Oh! I forgot to mention the oven shelf! The dogs are really anxious about travelling in the van when we first got it and when we first had the window removed, our terrier kept jumping through the gap into the cab! We found that a spare oven shelf, wedged down behind the driver and passenger seats made a perfect grille to block the gap! Simples!

Comment

terrier sounds familiar

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
                      We've got a Suzuki demountable and did exactly what you want to do. Our dogs seemed a bit perturbed at being separated from us, so we had the cab window removed (at Autoglass). We made a 'cuff' out of leather look fabric the same colour as the walls. We used Self adhesive Velcro on the cab and on the cuff, one edge of the cuff Velcros itself to the carpeting and the other to the cab. This means here is flexibility between the cab and the 'pod' when it's moving and keeps out the draughts. It's also removable, so that more air can be let in if it gets really hot (for the dogs' benefit). We also had a piece of Perspex cut and we Velcro this onto the cab windows space at night to keep out the draughts. The whole thing works really well.

Oh! I forgot to mention the oven shelf! The dogs are really anxious about travelling in the van when we first got it and when we first had the window removed, our terrier kept jumping through the gap into the cab! We found that a spare oven shelf, wedged down behind the driver and passenger seats made a perfect grille to block the gap! Simples!

Thanks for the tip we can just imagine or terrier causing mayhem !!! auto glass sounds good, tried to remove glass today but it would not budge.
                      Bill

Comment

There's a knack to it Bill. Two large screwdrivers either side of a corner. Or two pushbike tyre levers. It's very similar to removing a tyre on a pushbike. A bit at a time until it all pops out. Lever /peel back the seal, starting at a corner -and pop out a bit of the window, then work your way around, moving the screwdrivers/levers and carry on popping out the window glass a bit at a time.

I may sound very knowlegeable, but this advice is from observing, not doing - I had to get a mobile car mechanic to come and get mine out, I just didn't have the physical strength to do it myself! LOL!
                        Last edited by jayjay; 25-03-2012, 10:04.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                          There's a knack to it Bill. Two large screwdrivers either side of a corner. Or two pushbike tyre levers. It's very similar to removing a tyre on a pushbike. A bit at a time until it all pops out. Lever /peel back the seal, starting at a corner -and pop out a bit of the window, then work your way around, moving the screwdrivers/levers and carry on popping out the window glass a bit at a time.

I may sound very knowlegeable, but this advice is from observing, not doing - I had to get a mobile car mechanic to come and get mine out, I just didn't have the physical strength to do it myself! LOL!
                          Thanks will try that or perhaps make a trip to autoglass. Just had a quick look at your paintings-like a lot!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Maplib View Post
                            Thanks will try that or perhaps make a trip to autoglass. Just had a quick look at your paintings-like a lot!!!!
                            Thanks!

Comment

I did pop the window myself but I had the added help of a glass suction holder that I borrowed from work.

I also did use a bit of washing up liquid to help ease it out. Once you get the first part of the seal broken it removes very easily.

As I have a big dog that likes to join me in the front I did erect a dog guard via bungee straps to stop him jumping through.

I also on my pod have sliding window runners that I cut some perspex for so I could if needed still shut the pod off from the cab.

Also the pipe insulation was very handy for blocking excess draughts.
                              I make occasional visits to reality, but I'm not a full time resident
                              http://minimouseandmilos.blogspot.com

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X