Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eberspracher Heater - what should we expect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eberspracher Heater - what should we expect?

Hi
    We have a 2009 R20 with the Eberspracher heater unit. We don't seem to get much heat from it before it gives out - maybe 20-30 minutes in total. It stops heating moreo or less when the battery gauge is on the very end of the green section. This looks to be well above the 11.something volts that the unit should operate down to. Is this as much as we should expect?

We had a larger capacity leisure fitted in the hope that this would extend the amount of time we could get heat but it hasn't really helped at all. It's quite frustrating, given that we are still getting heavy snow falls up here in Scotland!

I'm no expert, but it doesn't sound right to me. Mine belches out the heat after about 5-minutes warming-up time and very quickly the van becomes very warm. I assume your thermostat isn't set too low so it's reaching temperature and then cutting out?!

I have one in my van and it's brilliant. I've used it in -12 deg and it's heated up the van rapidly to about 16 deg (the max I could tolerate) after just 10-15 minutes and the Romahome insulation retains the heat for hours. TBH I've never left my heater running for longer than about 20 minutes on its thermostat - I'm not a great van of heat and prefer simply to take the chill off the air then, in temperatures below -10 I leave it on overnight with the thermostat on the lowest setting and it kicks in 2-3 times.

Comment

Originally posted by Callander Girl View Post
      Hi
      We have a 2009 R20 with the Eberspracher heater unit. We don't seem to get much heat from it before it gives out - maybe 20-30 minutes in total. It stops heating moreo or less when the battery gauge is on the very end of the green section. This looks to be well above the 11.something volts that the unit should operate down to. Is this as much as we should expect?

We had a larger capacity leisure fitted in the hope that this would extend the amount of time we could get heat but it hasn't really helped at all. It's quite frustrating, given that we are still getting heavy snow falls up here in Scotland!
      Hi Calender Girl.
      The Eberspacher heater ( hot air only) will only run for a max of 1 hour. If the battery power is in the green it should run fine. You can experiment by running the engine just before the heater would normally cut off and see if the heater continues while the engine is running. If it does you know the voltage is not what it should be. That could be a corroded fuse or connector not conducting properly, it only takes a small amount of corrosion to knock the voltage.
      Also check the inlet and exhaust pipes on the heater, a small restriction caused by mud or something else like a kink in the pipe will cause the heater to shut down early due to either overheat sensing or low combustion air volume.
      Thanks
      Ant

Comment

Many thanks for such quick replies! It's good to know that we should be getting better performance than we are.

I'm pretty sure it's a voltage issue, since there is no problem when we're hooked up to mains electricity. We can also get a couple of minutes longer with all the lights turned off - and we discovered that if you use the unit as a water heater - to get the heat exchanger hot, you can then get hot air from it even though the heater won't ignite (with the extra load of the fan).

So, I'll look into your various suggestions, Ant. First step is to go around with an AV meter and see what voltage is reaching where.

As it happens we had a diesel leak from the t-piece where the heater connect sinto the engine fuel line. So while the van was up on a ramp, I had a look at the layout of things. The wiring to the heater unit is fairly exposed to the elements, so it's quite possible it's got a problem somewhere.

Many thanks again

Comment