Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

c15 Engine noise at speed

Hi,

Our Romahome is on a c15 1.8d and is a 2002 Reg. We have owned it for about 3yrs now and love it. Last couple of times out we have picked up an intermittent noise when accelerating and again when decelerating (ie: going through a certain acceleration/deceleration point only.

It seems to happen around 55-60mph and its hard to explain the sound but while it doesn't sound like anything is rubbing, it is probably best described as a "grating" noise.

I was going to take it to the garage but, as its intermittent, it is hard to prove the noise exists and I don't want them doing an exploratory at our expense. Any thoughts as to what it may be would be appreciated.

Cheers

Rik

Hi Rik.
    Are you sure it's an engine generated noise or could it be a transmission noise. If it appears at 55-60mph does it go if you slow down slightly or speed up slightly. Noises that come to light at a certain speed are rarely engine generated, drive shaft noise is quite common with the C15, a dry centre bearing on the long o/s shaft will intermittantly make a grinding sound. It will get worse and in time you will get it nearly all the time, sometimes light braking stops the noise for a while. the only cure is a new bearing or shaft.

You also asked about fillers, any smooth filler will do if you're going to paint the repair, you can get white gel-coat fillers but they wont match and you'll end up painting it.
    Thanks
    Ant

Comment

Hi Ant,

Thanks for the prompt reply, yes it does go if I slow down or speed up slightly. Sounds like it might be as you suggest, any idea on the area of price for replacing the bearing or shaft?

Also can you suggest what I should be asking the garage to check for, as I don't want them going off on an expensive tangent? Should I use the local garage or is one of the chains like HiQ better?

Re the filler, you suggest painting have you any idea on the colour I would want for a Hitop circa 2002?

Another issue cropped up yesterday, while taking "Toby" out for a spin, that being a problem with the drivers side window. It has stuck about 3/4 of the way up and won't go any further. I have taken the panel off for access to the regulator but don't really have a clue want to look for and it is a very tight space to get at. Would I be better leaving it to a garage to fix?

Cheers
      Rik

Comment

Rik.
        Firstly I would always try a local garage first, build a relationship up with them and you'll always have someone to go to you trust.
        Your colour code is EWPES.
        As far as the noise goes I'd monitor it for a while and get as much info as you can as to when it starts, the road conditions, if its wet or dry, if it goes when the brake is feathered, all this will help the garage to make a diagnosis. The trouble with the centre bearing is it feels ok when you manipulate the wheel and only starts to grumble at certain speeds. You can get a very cheap exchange shaft for about £35 but better to get a better quality one with a longer warranty for more. The bearing probably takes up more labour than its worth to change, as the shaft has to come out ( about 20mins) you might as well just fit a complete unit.
        Your window sits in a metal channel, this rusts on the ends and causes the window to tip slightly when moved up or down, the channel can be replaced, it's still available from Citroen. In the mean time help the window to travel square with the palm of your hand on the pane while you wind it up.
        Ant

Comment

c15 Engine noise at speed

Thanks for the expert advice Ant, one final thing with the drive shaft.

Is there any danger or risk of damage if we continue to drive it?

Cheers

Erik

Comment

Not really if that's what it is. the bearing is a sealed one and only makes a noise when it drys out. I doubt you could stand the noise it makes before the bearing overheats.
            Ant

Comment

I think Ant must be a very brave man!
              He is always being asked to make what I call a "long-range diagnosis". Quite often with too little information from a non-technical subscriber.
              As an ex-mechanic, I generally refuse to offer advice without first hand knowledge of circumstances.
              I well remember, having heard details of a "squeak" and the circumstances of when it happened - "on a corner and stops when I brake etc" - telling my neighbour to get the front wheel bearings adjusted. Attributing the "squeak" to bearing play allowing brake pads to rub on the disc.
              The "squeak" saga persisted until I heard what I would call "A creak" issue from beneath his car as his wife entered their drive from the road. The "creak" was typical of a dry and damaged "Hardy Spicer" joint. How I wished I had tried the car myself before offering a diagnosis based on his information.
              Another which comes to mind when at work many years ago, was a clerk who had a Ford with a bad mis-fire. I spent a lot of time testing every conceivable possibility even though I could not get it to misfire. In the end I asked the customer to take me out in his car to demonstrate.
              I might add that that was one of the most frightening rides I ever had! But to get back to the point: travelling normally in fourth gear he was forced to brake suddenly to about 5mph. As he accelerated away hard, still in 4th gear, the engine started to miss-fire badly. "There" he shouted "just as I told you!".
              You have my admiration Ant.
              Last edited by Twolitre; 06-08-2012, 13:03.
              Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Hi Twolitre.
                I share your concerns about remote long range dignostics but there are so many people getting ripped off by so called professional garages, I think it better to give some possibilities of faults at long range, so at least the customer doesn't sound completely green and ripe for a ripping off when they take it for repair. I'm sure if you went to a garage wearing your mechanic hat the resonse and bill you'd get would be very different than if you went sounding clueless about a problem!
                I once had a Lady who had trouble starting her van, took it to a garage, £1350 later after the diesel pump, timing belt and fuel filter housing had been changed the van still started poorly. All it needed was a set of glow plugs which they failed to change. When she complained to them about the work done, there response was " So all of a sudden you're a mechanic are you"! It's people like that who give us all a bad name.
                Ant

Comment

Originally posted by ant View Post
                  Rik.
                  Your window sits in a metal channel, this rusts on the ends and causes the window to tip slightly when moved up or down, the channel can be replaced, it's still available from Citroen. In the mean time help the window to travel square with the palm of your hand on the pane while you wind it up.
                  Ant
                  Hi Ant,

Just wanted to report back on the window issue, as I finally got around to following your advice. It was the window channel and, with the help of a small nut and bolt, I was able to reattach it to the door and the window now again runs up and down with no issues. Unfortunately the winder, having a plastic cog, has now burred beyond use and I will need to use a pair of pliers until I can source a replacement for it.

Thanks again for the heads up though as I saved me from having to pay a garage to sort it out.

Cheers

Rik

Comment

I suppose, like most people, there are words used totally out of context which niggle me.
                    As an engineer (I think) I believe "cogs" were only found in windmills and engineering of that period and a "cog" is a replaceable SINGLE TOOTH (usually wooden) of a rather primitive "gear wheel". The plastic bit refererred to above is presumably a gear or more correctly a gear-wheel?
                    Grumpy old Jim again.
                    Last edited by Twolitre; 20-08-2012, 10:58.
                    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X