fridge again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fridge again

hi ant - electrolux fridge in my autosleeper wont light . plenty of spark - gas full and on but when i press gas on dial nothing is lighting - no sound or smell . had new sparker last year with your help . was fine after but when i had a few goes ready for this spring nothing is happening .appreciate your advice .
    thanks . beetle .

Hi Beetle.
    I can't remember which fridge you had now but it sounds as if you're not getting gas through. Check, 1 that the bottle is on and has gas in it, 2. that the isolation tap for the fridge gas is on, 3. that the fridge knob that you use to start the fridge on gas is in the right position and that it can be pushed in fully while you're trying to light the fridge. If during the course of last year you've been a bit over zealous with pushing the knob in it may now be touching the front cover of the fridge before it gets fully depressed, if that's the case no gas will come through. To be sure of the knob, pull it off and try lighting the fridge without the knob fitted, if it works stuff some tissue paper inside the knob before you refit it, this will give you the extra clearance you need to make it work in future.
    Ant

Comment

fridge

hi ant
      tried all you said - fridge will light after many goes . more often after the spark it gives a seconds" pop "sound and that is all . i tried the hairdryer to warm the area and the fridge started ok . so today i tried blowing some warm air through the bottom vent using a length of tubing .after a few blows the fridge lit ok . will it be worth buying a 12v fan heater to let some warm air in ? it seems the gas must be coming through ok if it lights when area warmed . what do you think ? my fridge is 2way electrolux can it be adapted to work on mains on site and if so is it worth the cost ? thanks for your help . beetle

Comment

Hi Beetle.
        When the fridge is going does the flame look mainly blue or can you see a orange/yellow bar glowing in the centre of the flame? If you can there's some carbon build up on the FFD ( flame failure device) which may interfere with the spark position. If all is blue, then you've got spiders in the van! they like to make webs in and around the jet tube of the fridge which disperses the gas before it gets to the burner and only after there is loads of gas under the fridge does it reach the spark ( the loud pop as it ignites is the tell tale sign of spiders present).
        The fridge could come out and have the burner checked and the spiders evicted. The two ways can be converted to 3-way, not too expensive if you can find all the bits, they're getting harder to source.
        Ant

Comment

fridge

hi ant - i think the problem is spiders as you said . the light is maily blue . i will live with it for the time being as it lights eventually . and i expect the only way to get rid of the problem is taking the fridge out . thanks for your information and advice .
          beetle .
          Last edited by beetle; 28-03-2010, 11:56.

Comment

Scuse me for butting in, but are you using butane or propane? Pretty cold weather will stop the butane (blue stuff) working, whilst propane works at a lower temp... maybe that's why it worked after you heated it up. Just a thought.... probably spiders though!

Ant, My fridge will not light on gas although it works fine on EHU... I get a blue flame and then it just peters out again. I'm on propane but even so, might try the hairdryer... I get a blue half-moon light for a few moments, the moment I take my finger off the holding it in until the thermocoupler should start up, it goes out. Was told it could be just due to a bit of muck in the tube, but the chap who put it in for me (who did make a mess - sawdust mostly) has copper piped it in, so I can't pull it out on a flexi-hose, like I did with the one in my camper van. Was thinking of maybe trying a hoover attachment through the outside HUGE vent to see if that would clear any blockage - would that work?... otherwise, bother it as I would have to undo copper nuts to get it out, assuming it may need a new thermo-coupler.

Comment

pilot light not working

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
              Scuse me for butting in, but are you using butane or propane? Pretty cold weather will stop the butane (blue stuff) working, whilst propane works at a lower temp... maybe that's why it worked after you heated it up. Just a thought.... probably spiders though!

Ant, My fridge will not light on gas although it works fine on EHU... I get a blue flame and then it just peters out again. I'm on propane but even so, might try the hairdryer... I get a blue half-moon light for a few moments, the moment I take my finger off the holding it in until the thermocoupler should start up, it goes out. Was told it could be just due to a bit of muck in the tube, but the chap who put it in for me (who did make a mess - sawdust mostly) has copper piped it in, so I can't pull it out on a flexi-hose, like I did with the one in my camper van. Was thinking of maybe trying a hoover attachment through the outside HUGE vent to see if that would clear any blockage - would that work?... otherwise, bother it as I would have to undo copper nuts to get it out, assuming it may need a new thermo-coupler.
              I had this problem in a previous van, the pilot flame plays on a bi-mettalic strip which heats up and expands to hold the main gas flow valve open, if the bi-mettailic strip is corroded,or cracked or broken,or misplaced, it wont work and you cant get a gas flow to the main burner. can be fixed.parts cost little but lots of labor charge. cost me £57.00, only £7.00 was parts. Prices will be much higher now I guess. Maybe Ant can suggest something!
              goodluck.
              Ian
              Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

If the FFD has failed, you can only cure the problem by replacing it. It is worth pulling the knob off and trying to light the fridge by turning and pushing the brass spindle, sometimes the knobs reduce the travel of the spindle when you push the knob in and the FFD does not get overridden in the first place.
                Ant

Comment

Originally posted by ant View Post
                  If the FFD has failed, you can only cure the problem by replacing it. It is worth pulling the knob off and trying to light the fridge by turning and pushing the brass spindle, sometimes the knobs reduce the travel of the spindle when you push the knob in and the FFD does not get overridden in the first place.
                  Ant
                  Thanks Ant, will try that as well. It was working on both gas & electric when I bought it, but won't now it's been fitted....

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X