Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hob & Fridge ignition has stopped working

Hi Ant
    All of a sudden the Hob & Fridge igniter in our 2007 Outlook has stopped working. We don't get the clicking noise pressing the button on the top of the hob and the yellow switch on the RHS of the fridge does nothing either.
    We can still light the hob with a match but we have no way of lighting the gas fridge (which I will need to do this week!)
    All other electricity seems to be operating OK.
    Any clues as to where I should look for the problem?

Edit
    I've subsequently looked at the Romahome User manual which doesn't give much away accept that a diagram suggests that there is a fuse from the main car battery that is common to the ignition for fridge and hob. Trouble is, I cant find the fuse panel!

All the very best
    MArtin
    Last edited by Martin & Chrissy; 12-08-2012, 13:43.

The fuse you want was under the passenger seat next to the battery in my 2004 Hylo (I think)
    Derek Our Berlingo camping car

Comment

Hi Martin.
      There are two fuses that might stop the sparker going, the first is under the seat as Derek has pointed out, it's the one with the thin yellow wire going to it. The second and more common is the main link fuse under the bonnet, you'll find it inside the black box just to the right of the battery labelled Caravan Fuse. You can do a quick test to see if its blown by tuning on the vehicle ignition, it should make the sparker work while it's on. Sounds a bit odd I know but what's actually happening is the relay clicks on with the ignition and the sparker then works from the leisure battery rather than the vehicle battery as designed.
      Thanks
      Ant

Comment

Many thanks Gents

I'll get back on the case this evening!

Comment

Hmmm this is interesting, my parents bought a brand new Conway Countryman earlier this year but for one reason and another they have been unable to use it until recently. On their first trip out a couple of weekends ago they discovered that the fridge will not light. I wonder if it could be something as simple as a fuse? Worth looking at anyway before they go sending it back to the dealer.
          Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Was just as you described!

Many thanks Ant. It was indeed the fuse under the bonnet. Halfords had a spare so we're all sorted.
            If it's just the Hob & Fridge ignition on that circuit what would cause the fuse to blow?

Many thanks for your help, its got me out of a spot!

Martin

Comment

Martin.
              The loss of the spark is just a symptom of the blown fuse. The fuse would normally blow if the leisure battery was quite low and required some heavy charging from the altenator, what normally happens is the spike of charging from the vehicle when it gets the high demand blows the fuse. That fuse is the link from the vehicle to the leisure battery, the sparkers are fed from the vehicle electrics from one end of the fuse box under the seat which is fed via that fuse.
              Ant

Comment

Many thanks Ant

I'm guessing that means that our leisure battery wouldn't have charged up with that fuse blown?
                We've never had to even think about the leisure barttery before but it must be five years old by now. Should I be thinking about replacing it? Everything seems to work fine though.
                We would like to book in a habitation check with you one of these days, plus there are a few little niggles that could use an expert touch.
                We're Essex based and so don't pass through Bristol very often but hopefully we can get to you before the year is out!.

Thanks again for all your help on this,

Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Huff View Post
                  Hmmm this is interesting, my parents bought a brand new Conway Countryman earlier this year but for one reason and another they have been unable to use it until recently. On their first trip out a couple of weekends ago they discovered that the fridge will not light. I wonder if it could be something as simple as a fuse? Worth looking at anyway before they go sending it back to the dealer.
                  If it hasn't been used for a while, a fridge is usually difficult to light on gas. If it has a 12v ignition it could be the fuse, but if it has a piezo ignition, then you just have to keep looking to see the spark, and being very patient whilst waiting for the gas to come through. If the cooker is on the same gas pipe, lighting a ring will help to pull the gas through to the fridge.

I have frequently found that I can be on the floor, squinting to the back through the little spyhole whilst pressing the button for anything up to five minutes or more.. If the spark is there, then it should work eventually.

If you get the little blue flame, then you need to keep the gas button pressed in for a minute while the thermo-coupler warms up or it will go straight out again. And turn the gas setting to the highest setting to start with.

So gas on, gas set to highest setting, press and hold in the gas switch, then press the ignition for the spark. And keep on doing it until it lights!

You can also try hoovering it out both underneath and behind (from the outside vent) as little spiders make webs, which catch the dust, which make it hard to light. Could also just be a spot of damp, so try blowing a hair dryer underneath for a few minutes.

A few curses and a bit of heartfelt pleading usually works with mine in the end!
                  Last edited by jayjay; 14-08-2012, 10:45.

Comment

They have been trying with it both whilst they were away and since they have arrived home but nothing works. The unit is brand new so the fridge has never been used before.

It seems they have a defective unit, luckily its still within warranty.
                    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin & Chrissy View Post
                      I'm guessing that means that our leisure battery wouldn't have charged up with that fuse blown?
                      We've never had to even think about the leisure barttery before but it must be five years old by now. Should I be thinking about replacing it? Everything seems to work fine though.
                      We would like to book in a habitation check with you one of these days, plus there are a few little niggles that could use an expert touch.
                      We're Essex based and so don't pass through Bristol very often but hopefully we can get to you before the year is out!.

Thanks again for all your help on this,

Martin
                      Martin.
                      Yes, you're right about the leisure battery not charging with that fuse blown. 5 yrs for a battery can be all you get, its worth having it load tested before changing it, no point spending out on a new one until the old one is suspect.
                      Ant

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X