Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dimension - rear brake problem

Hello Ant

Can I pick your brains please? Our Dimension was due for it's annual MoT, so I sourced a cheap MoT at Nationwide Autocentre but we also had a problem in that the rear offside wheel was really hot and smelled of burning when we had been out in the van, I thought it was probably a binding brake.

So I told the chap about it and he said they would sort before they did the MoT, they later phoned to say that some work needed doing, it had a leaking wheel cylinder and the handbrake had been adjusted too much causing the rear brakes to release unevenly, the total cost including MoT was £222.28. The MoT was £32.40, wheel cylinder was £112.38, brake service £33, fluid flush £42.50 and disposal charge £2.

I have since been out for a run in the van and the rear wheel is still very hot to the touch, the other side wheel is still cold. I am just wondering what to tell them when I take it back, do you think the charges were justified even though they haven't cured the binding brake? Would a leaking wheel cylinder cause the brakes to bind or is that a separate issue?

Your advise would be much appreciated as always.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Hi Graham.
    The leaking wheel cylinder would normally reduce the braking power of that wheel, what I suspect has happened is the self adjuster on that side has taken up the gap left by the malfunctioning cylinder and in doing so made the "at rest" position of the brake shoes too close to the drum. When you've done a few miles and the brakes have warmed up as normal, the tight side has warmed up more and started to bind.
    If you've had a new cylinder and fluid change and brake service the brakes should be perfect.
    I'm not sure about the cost for the cylinder, I think the actual cylinder is about £28 to £30, the time to change one is about 20 mins, half the brake service was done while changing the cylinder so and extra £33 for the other side was not cheap, the MOT was cheap, RRP for MOT is £54.00 ( £54.85 after April 6th), brake fluid cost is nothing like £42 on a Relay. All in all you've paid enough to have your brakes working perfectly.
    In my experience , rarely is a cheap MOT cheap, stats from my MOT man show a higher number of failures from a cheap MOT place than one who charges the RRP.
    I would go back to your man and ask him to check the brake adjustment on the warm side, in fairness the self adjuster spring in the rear brakes of a Relay can be quite difficult to set up correctly if you've had the brakes apart, it may be clicking up brakes too much.
    Ant

Comment

Thanks Ant, that's given me a few things to go back to him with, I was worried if I went back he would sting me for another load of money to put it right.
      Graham
      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

I think you've paid in advance for the work!

Comment

Next year we are going to have a week of work, spend it down in the Bristol area and let you take the van to your MoT man and do any work plus the service on the van at the same time. At least I will know the job is being done right and the cost of the work won't be a rip off.

I don't mind spending the money but I want to know that the job is being done properly.

Thanks again for your help.
          Graham

Comment

Update

I took the van back this morning and they were very apologetic and said they would get right on with it while I waited, after about an hour they had done the job and said it had been ajusted too much and that's what caused the probem, they haven't stung me for any more money but I was ready for an argument if they tried to.

It seemed ok when I got home, the wheel wasn't warm but then it's not far to the garage probably about 4 mile, so I will have to take it on a longer run and see what it's like, anyway fingers crossed it will be ok now.
            Graham

Comment

Hi Graham

Just a note about cheap MOTs

My brother in law has just had his car done by a cheap MOT place, and all of a sudden his head lights needed adjusting, he had done nothing to the car that would change the hight of the beam, not even changed any bulbs,
              he was charged, I think, an extra £22.

So cheap, I don't think so.
              Regards Martin :thumbsup:

Comment

Originally posted by MartinW View Post
                Hi Graham

Just a note about cheap MOTs

My brother in law has just had his car done by a cheap MOT place, and all of a sudden his head lights needed adjusting, he had done nothing to the car that would change the hight of the beam, not even changed any bulbs,
                he was charged, I think, an extra £22.

So cheap, I don't think so.
                If these garages are advertising cheap MoT's then inventing faults so they get extra revenue then surely they are breaking some law?

An MoT is an MoT now matter how much it costs and should be carried out to a certain standard, testing what needs testing and either passing or failing depending on what they find but how do you prove it if you think you have been cheated.
                Graham

Comment

You contact VOSA and ask the vehicle to be inspected by one of the MOT inspectors, if they uphold your complaint the test station or the individual tester with lose the MOT licence.

Comment

Originally posted by ant View Post
                    You contact VOSA and ask the vehicle to be inspected by one of the MOT inspectors, if they uphold your complaint the test station or the individual tester with lose the MOT licence.
                    That's worth knowing, thanks Ant.
                    Graham

Comment

Update on brake problems

Quite a few people asked me about my brakes at the meet so I thought I would put an update on here.

As some of you know the rear off side wheel got really hot again while we were away on holiday and I had to take it in to the nearest Nationwide Autocentre which happened to be in Telford. After examining the vehicle the chap told me that the rear offside wheel cylinder had seized up. I told him I thought that the Autocentre back home had done that, so he phoned them and asked them to check their records and it turns out they changed the nearside!! Which as far as I know didn't have a problem.

To cut a long story short they changed the offside for me and charged me another £82 which they said I would have get reimbursed when I got home. So this morning I went and spoke to the manager of the branch here and he said he would have to talk to his regional manager and phone me back.

4 hours later he hadn't rung so I rung him and he said he was just about to ring me (yeah right ), he had spoken to his regional manager and was happy to tell me that they were going to give me a free service next time I needed one which was worth more than £82. Whoopy Doo.

I politely declined the offer and said I didn't want them anywhere near the van again and I wanted a full refund of the £82, at which point he said he would have to speak to his manager again (yawn) and he would phone me back. This time he did phone back and said that the Regional Manager had said that as a gesture of goodwill they were willing to refund my money and I would receive a cheque in the post within two weeks.

Well we will see, watch this space. I am sure not all Nationwide Autocentre branches aren't as bad as my local one but I certainly won't be going back there again.
                      Graham

Comment

Well much to my amazement I received a cheque this morning for the full amount I had to pay whilst on holiday for the new wheel cylinder. I fully expected to have to chase them up about it, so fair does they have admitted liability and paid up.

Still not going back though.
                        Graham

Comment

Glad it all ended well, Graham.

I can't imagine how they got it wrong in the first place, and the consequences could have been really serious. I certainly wouldn't go back there either.

Fair doos like you said though, they have paid up, so all's well that ends well, eh? And two wheel new wheel cylinders for the price of one, should keep you going a bit!
                          Last edited by jayjay; 29-04-2010, 18:59.

Comment

Nice one Graham, glad you got it sorted
                            Regards Martin :thumbsup:

Comment

Well done Graham.
                              wish i could somehow shame Stowmarket Caravans for selling me a dodgy romahome with rear suspension bushes that were shot before they bribed their MOT centre to give it a ticket.

I guess in a recession there are many ways businesses have of making and saving cash from us.

If I have time I'll drive by Ants shop on friday and maybe get a 3 minute advice on fitting a complete rear axle. I might even buy something!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X