New battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New battery

Hello Ant, I hope you can help with this problem as I am spoilt for choice, and being fairly new to motorhomes I am not sure what to choose. I need a new leisure battery for my Dimension that will be used for lighting, charging electronic devices and the Eberspacher heater. I guess around half the time I will not have electrical hook-up available but will only need to use the battery in the evenings. From what I have read a sealed lead acid unit of 90/100ah looks appropriate, but which one? I want one that is going to last and it seems the best one is Elecsol 100, or is there one that is better or more appropriate? I would consider an AGM battery if it is economically justified.

Hi Roger.
    Firstly if you're going to fit a 100 or 110 amp/hr battery in a Dimension it needs to be a sealed battery as you can only get one to fit if it's not housed in the original battery box. As for which one to go for, I'm afraid they all claim great things and providing it's a proper deep cycle battery it probably just comes down to the size and cost. In the past many batteries claimed far more than they were capable of, these days they all have to use the same method of measuring the perfomance and are therefore comparable.
    Thanks
    Ant

Comment

I was just about to ask the same question, Ant! I need a second leisure battery for my caravan, now I have fitted a motor mover, so that answered my questions!.

The 75amp one that I have is ok, but I can't see it doing much motor moving after I've been away for a week. Although I only have lights on the l. battery and no water pump or anything else, I think a second spare l. battery is the way to ensure that I don't run out of power when I get home with a caravan to put on the drive! I could keep this at home rather than carry it around with me as it would only be a spare just in case.

Roger, I'd heard that the Ecsol batteries can sometimes have faulty terminals, I read that on a different site, regarding a motormover that wouldn't work, and this was the reason why. I wouldn't have thought you could run a heater of it for any length of time without the engine running though, as you can't even run a 12v side of a fridge from the battery unless you are actually driving.

Measure up the space you have in mind very carefully as the size of the casing varies a lot.

For my money, I think I would go for a Numax as they don't seem to have any bad reviews. Although the l battery I have (a Yuasa) has never let me down.

Comment

New battery

Thanks Ant and jayjay for your useful advice.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
        Working...
        X