Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 C15 problems.

Hi Ant and others,
    I have a collection of faults that have been mounting up, If anyone has any hints about how I can resolve any of them I'd be grateful. I intend to go down to Ant in Bristol when I have some time off in a few months for service/MOT. If any of these issues are stil present by then I'm sure his garage will be able to help. In the meantime if any of them are simple enough for my meagre skills to solve then i'll give it a go. For a couple of them, I just need to source parts.

Model: C15 HiLo 1993
    1. Propex gas heater fails to work when engine not recently recently been on. Appears to be caused by excessive voltage drop shortly after being turned on. This seems to be a sporadic fault, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
    2. Electrolux fridge only seems to work on gas and the plastic grille above it has come off and won't easily go back on.
    3. Bonnet support strut clip is broken and needs replacing (EDIT: SOLVED)
    4. Rubber gas hose is old and may need replacing
    5. Rear door blinds are broken - the side was damaged and is now held in place with tape yet the blinds won't quite clip in place correctly. I think the plastic sides need replacing, the blinds themselves are actually ok.
    6. Hose connecting to the back of the sink tap repeatedly comes loose and leaks water everywhere. Requires a better seal.
    7. Flow of cold air from under drivers seat, source unknown.
    8. Rear suspension seems a bit lax, might need spring assisters adding or suspension replacing.
    9. Some Diesil fuel seems to leak from behind the fibreglass if I fill the tank up to the top.
    10. There is some fibreglass damage to the rear nearside corner that I am not sure how to go about fixing.
    Last edited by Sloeman; 01-04-2010, 00:57.

1. Bonnet support strut clip is broken and needs replacing

Mine was broken too so I made a trip to the main agent, had to order one, waited over a week for it to arrive, then made another trip to spend several pounds on the new one.

In a couple of months it, too, broke.

If you search eBay for neodymium magnets (here's one example) you can get an extra-strong magnet which attaches itself to the bonnet, inside the circular cutout of the sound insulation, and which holds the bonnet stay much more securely than Citroen's own feeble imitation of a clip.

Comment

6. Hose connecting to the back of the sink tap repeatedly comes loose and leaks water everywhere. Requires a better seal.

PTFE plumbers tape, and maybe a jubillee clip as well.

If it looks old and worn it definately needs replacing and you need also to check that the hoses to all gas appliances internally are ok, if not replace those as well. You need a competant person to carry out gas repairs.
      Last edited by jayjay; 31-03-2010, 20:33.

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
        you can get an extra-strong magnet which attaches itself to the bonnet
        Excellent idea, thanks Paul!
        I'll order one now.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post

PTFE plumbers tape, and maybe a jubillee clip as well.

If it looks old and worn it definately needs replacing and you need also to check that the hoses to all gas appliances internally are ok, if not replace those as well. You need a competant person to carry out gas repairs.
          Hi JayJay,

There is already a jubilee clip there but it's very awkward to get in to tighten up properly. There is some hose, jubilee clipped onto a very smooth bit of plastic pipe, then jubileed onto another hose which is connected to the tap. I preasume this bit of pipe was put there in the past because the hose wasn't long enough or someting. Perhaps I need to sandpaper the pipe a bit to give it some more grip. Will PTFE work on such a smooth pipe?

As for the gas hose, yeah I think I'll order a new one and let Ant or his crew swap them over when they do their habitation check. Any idea where I can get them?

Comment

Originally posted by Sloeman View Post
            Hi JayJay,

There is already a jubilee clip there but it's very awkward to get in to tighten up properly. There is some hose, jubilee clipped onto a very smooth bit of plastic pipe, then jubileed onto another hose which is connected to the tap. I preasume this bit of pipe was put there in the past because the hose wasn't long enough or someting. Perhaps I need to sandpaper the pipe a bit to give it some more grip. Will PTFE work on such a smooth pipe?

As for the gas hose, yeah I think I'll order a new one and let Ant or his crew swap them over when they do their habitation check. Any idea where I can get them?
            The bit about "Ant and his crew" made me smile, I'd love to have a crew to lord it over, sadly I am the crew.
            Don't worry about getting the gas bits I'll sort it all when I see you.
            The water leak is where the non return valve is fitted in line on the pipe in the wardrobe, if you over tighten it the valve will crack and leak, ( may have already been done) you'll need to replace the valve.
            Low voltage on the propex, check health of battery ( leisure), if ok, check fuses for corrosion.
            Anything you can't sort, I'll sort when you get to me.
            Thanks
            Ant

Comment

Excellent idea, thanks Paul!
              I'll order one now.
              I didn't check the size of the one I quoted - just picked one out as an example. They come in all shapes and sizes, and there are hundreds of ads. You need one which is big enough to do the job and which fits nicely in the recess in the sound-insulation.

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
                I didn't check the size of the one I quoted - just picked one out as an example. They come in all shapes and sizes, and there are hundreds of ads. You need one which is big enough to do the job and which fits nicely in the recess in the sound-insulation.
                Ah, well i've already ordered a set of ten long flat ones. I'll see what I can do with them, otherwise I might have to get something different. They'll be handy fridge magents if nothing else and didn't cost nearly as much as I expected.

Oh and thanks Ant. See you sometime in June, I'll call when I know my work rota better.

Comment

Hi Ant and others,

[*] Flow of cold air from under drivers seat, source unknown.
                  I have this problem with my C15,I cant find any fathomable reason why it is so!!!!
                  http://romahomeandaway.blogspot.com/

Comment

There are two large plastic grommets under the seat which are often removed to let any water out or just punctured leaving a hole. If they are out you get a hell of a draught!
                    Ant

Comment

6, 9 and 10.

Bit late - but other browsers might find this useful.

6. Hose comes loose at join
                      You can get 'barbed' hose connectors for joining water hose which are much more secure than straight pipe. Look in caravan shops or chandlers.

9. Diesel leak when filling tank right to top
                      I have similar problem on 1995 roma, due to split in the air breather tube at top where it attaches to filler cap unit; diesel reaches here (and leaks) when filling tank up till fuel pump cuts out. needs short section new fuel pipe (not just water/air pipe).

10. Fibreglass damage - lots about how to fix this on yachting sites - most yachts are fibreglass (aka GRP) since 1970's

cheers
                      Bill
                      Last edited by billdash; 20-07-2012, 18:37.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X