Mystery Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery Leak

Hi, I've only just joined the Community; been meaning to do it for a while, but my 1993 C-15 Romahome has developed a new leak (I'm already working on the leaky skylight over the Galley!?) and it was this that finally prompted me to do the decent thing, as I'm at a loss with this new leak and can't for the life of me work out where or how the water is coming in.

If I may try to explain: I noticed that the back of the seat/fold down bed was damp (not the passenger seat, but in the back of the van). When I removed it the 'carpet' below the window was wet (not soaking.) At first I thought it was a window leak, but having followed the water, it stemmed back toward the passenger cab (along the 'carpet on the wall) and seems to be originating near the water filler cap.

If I put my finger in the bottom right hand gap where the curtain dividing the cab from the sleeping compartment, draws back into, I can feel water (on the 'carpet'/wood panelling) - just up and slightly to the right of the filler tube/cap fitting. Bar stripping out the quit a bit of the van I can't actually see a point of entry. I can't imagine where else the water could be leaking in and there don't appear to be any other wet 'patches'.

I did think of resealing the cap and fitting. However, due to the design of the van, even when it's stood out in the rain this cap doesn't get wet and certainly doesn't appear to be getting enough moisture near it to explain the water inside the van.

Any help in working this one out would be greatly appreciated. I'm usually quite good with this sort of thing, but this has me stumped.

I did wonder if there was any way water from the tank could be leaking out up the tubes? I appreciate that this seems to suggest it can defy gravity, but this is how much it's driving me up the wall. By the way, we don't use the water filler cap thingy as we don't have the key. I fill the tank by removing the seat as there is a cap on top of the tank.

Yours in desperation!

Ade

Hi Ade.
    The fact that you're able to feel dampness above the filler suggests it's not coming from there, in which case I'd check the seal where the body joins the cab, It's not a very common failing but I have had one leak before from there, it tends to build up behind trhe scenes then appears.
    Thanks
    Ant

Comment

Welcome to the forum Ade.

Hope you manage to sort out your water problem, I've got my own water problem of a different nature which Ant is (hopefully) going to fix in a few weeks time when we go down to see him.
      Graham
      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

[QUOTE=Graham;53542]Welcome to the forum Ade.

Hope you manage to sort out your water problem, I've got my own water problem of a different nature which Ant is (hopefully) going to fix in a few weeks time when we go down to see him.[/QUOTE]

Its your age Graham! it comes to us all in the end!I doubt if Ants the right person for that,although a jubilee clip might help
        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

[QUOTE=Ian STOCKLEY;53564]
          Originally posted by Graham View Post

Hope you manage to sort out your water problem, I've got my own water problem of a different nature which Ant is (hopefully) going to fix in a few weeks time when we go down to see him.[/QUOTE]

Its your age Graham! it comes to us all in the end!I doubt if Ants the right person for that,although a jubilee clip might help
          How did I not guess you would come up with something like that.

oooo you are awful but I like you (gives a resounding slap on the back).
          Graham
          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Thanks, chaps (for the advice, and the giggles!)

Comment

[QUOTE=Ian STOCKLEY;53564]
              Originally posted by Graham View Post

:
              Carpe diem! :)

Comment

leaks

easy to check leaks at the filler. There is a box covering the arrangement on the filler inside, just behind the wall to the cab. Stick some tissue paper round it and see if it gets wet. Follow the pipe through to the tank and check for perishing. Mine has a pump which goes to the sink. This could be anywhere on the water to sink feed. There is also a stop **** in the line too. My guess is Millie is a similar age as yours. Replacing these pipes and fittings on my wish list. Ant's suggestion is good too. Might see perished rubber on the seals between the cab and the van. Not likely to be from below. Stuff bits of tissue in the likely places. The nearer the leak it will be wetter, likely you are to be closer! perculier stuff water

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                Working...
                X