Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damp Floor

Hi all,

We have an 03 Hi Lo which has developed damp in the floor between the fridge and the toilet compartment in the rear of the van. The floor is covered with a glued on piece of carpet with a 12" square of felt in the middle which seems to be permanently damp. I suspect the fridge can be the only source but before tearing it out would be glad of any other experiences.

thanks

Hi. Welcome to the forum.

I presume that there is definitely no leak from the loo? Nor from the drainage for the sink?

Personally, i would remove the fixed carpet anyway, as few things smell as horrible as damp carpets! Use a small removeable carpet square instead - easy to take out to wash when you have trodden mud in (unless you manage to keep your shoes a lot cleaner than I can!)
    Last edited by NomadSue; 28-10-2012, 12:08.
    Carpe diem! :)

Comment

I have a similar ongoing and long-term problem with my Lo - but it's the rear door which is leaking in a combination of heavy rain and gales which hit the door at a certain angle. Despite replacing the door seal, adjusting the angle of the door etc, we've still unable to rectify this, daft as it sounds, and are about to replace the rotten plywood floor with beech to be epoxied with upstands.

I would remove your carpeting and lino beneath the check the damp patch isn't more extensive. This was how I discovered the ongoing problem with my own van which has clearly been suffering from ingress for many years.

I hope yours is caused by something trivial and easily fixed.

Comment

Thanks for all suggestions. Definately not the toilet or the sink which we very rarely use, (The sink I mean!). The rear door seal could well be the problem as I usually get the Van pressure washed. I did not realise the floor was plywood as assumed it was part of the fibreglass structure.

I notice that the fridge seems to have a drain inside it (at the back). Does anyone know where this drains to?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by michaeljp View Post
          The rear door seal could well be the problem as I usually get the Van pressure washed. I did not realise the floor was plywood as assumed it was part of the fibreglass structure.
          My post wasn't very clear: the body is fibreglass but there's a ply floor sitting upon it in the rear footwell. On my van, this is rotten and peeling after years of being saturated without being noticed. I'd spotted a slight damp patch a few times but assumed this was just on the surface after stepping on it during wet weather so didn't give it much further thought. It was only after finding 2" water in the footwell that I realised there was a problem so removed the lino and found the ply had been slowly rotting for years.

Comment

Just an update re damp floor to the van. I removed the carpet and the felt underneath (Difficult, very sticky adhesive) and dried the plywood out with a fan heater. It seems to be remaining dry. I suspect water has been getting in whilst having the Hylo washed, either via the rear seal or the fridge vent on the offside. Anyway I will monitor it and use removable carpet for the time being.

Comment

On the other thread where I have told the story of our rear footwell today, can I just add we took the carpet up and the felt square that was glued down. We also expected plywood after reading about it on here, but ours is just the fibre glass floor?? Are we missing the plywood? Ours is an S reg duo, did this not have the wooden floor, or could the previous owner have removed it?

Comment

Damp floor

I finally cured my problem with water in the back of my '98 Hylo. It was the rear light cluster. Once re-sealed I have not had any re-occurence. Sadly not the same with the front driver's side. Having repaired a hole under the dash I though that would end my problems there but sadly it is still getting in somewhere and I had to bail out recently and now have to keep the carpet folded back each time I return home.

Scruffand co

Comment

Hi Sue.
                  Your Duo has the marine ply sandwiched between the innner and outer fibreglass.
                  Thanks
                  Ant

Comment

Thanks Ant, I presume that it is double skin then? So water can't get through the top layer?

Comment

Originally posted by michaeljp View Post
                      Just an update re damp floor to the van. I removed the carpet and the felt underneath (Difficult, very sticky adhesive) and dried the plywood out with a fan heater. It seems to be remaining dry. I suspect water has been getting in whilst having the Hylo washed, either via the rear seal or the fridge vent on the offside. Anyway I will monitor it and use removable carpet for the time being.
                      From what I've read and observed it's better to wash a small motorhome by hand, as pressure washers will always force water in through seals, doors, etc.

The other cause could be the fridge, which will produce a little moisture each time you use it, then turn it off - but I don't think it would be enough to swamp a carpet... more just a small damp patch. I had this with a previous 'van and found that if I wiped the inside dry with a teatowel after returning home (when it was switched off and cooled down) it stopped a lot of the problem.

Do you have a winter cover on your fridge vent outside? Quite often they are missing, but are quite easy to replace. You need to remove it when the weather gets warmer and you are using the fridge. I always take mine off if using the fridge, no matter what the weather - but I tend not to go anywhere in the winter and my caravan has a winter cover on.

Good luck with finding the problem!

Comment

Might be worth examing the fridge vent sealing, I had a major leak whenever it rained. It was a simple fix dealt with by Ant. Diagnosis was made by using vaseline around the fridge vent, which prevented the leak and so once establishing the cause it was a question of properly sealing the vent.

Comment

I have an 05 Hy-Lo that leaked badly at the back end shortly after I bought it. Water was (and still is) getting in through the front of the roof seal into the space between the lift-up roof and the canvas, which is not a big problem since it is still "outside". However, when the van was standing with the roof closed, it was then leaking through the pop rivets that fix the canvas onto the body and down the inside of the wall onto the floor. The holes in the centre of the pop rivets were originally plugged but I suspect the previous owner had given the van a really good scrub for selling and knocked out the plugs. A bit if silicon sealer (inserted using a little syringe intended for giving toddlers medicine - from any chemist) fixed the issue. If this is your problem, you may find the wardrobe is wet as well.

Comment