Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Charger

Hi Ant,

I have one of those ctek smart chargers and I wondered if it is O/K to just connect directly to the battery with the croc clips. Just concerned about any harm to electronic systems...2006 Dimension.
    Many Thanks
    Chris

ChrisR.
    If the charger has an anti surge function you should be ok, the electronics don't like spikes of current that some older chargers would give when first connected. If in doubt turn the sidelights on before you connect the charger, that way if there is a spike of current the lights just get a bit brighter while the spike is smoothed out. You can turn them off shortly afterwards leaving the charger to get on with its job.
    Ant

Comment

I bought a "fit and forget" smart charger a year or so ago to keep my caravan battery topped up while not in use.
      The battery was about half charged and working when I connected the charger and switched it on in the evening, but next morning it would not even work the lights. A voltmeter across the battery showed only 9.2volts. Way below safe discharge voltage.
      I got my money back on the charger, but nothing for the battery which was two years old.
      I think I will stick with conventional old fashioned chargers. I've always managed quite well with those!
      Jim.
      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

I have a smart charger for my leisure battery. The first time I used it I turned it off at the mains, battery showing full charge. I didn't disconnect it from the attachment which was connected to the battery though, and this caused a drain and the L. battery was flat in the morning! After asking the questions, I eventually discovered that you have to leave these switched on at the mains, or disconnect the attachment bit, or it works in reverse! At least mine did. Not had any trouble since.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
          I have a smart charger for my leisure battery. The first time I used it I turned it off at the mains, battery showing full charge. I didn't disconnect it from the attachment which was connected to the battery though, and this caused a drain and the L. battery was flat in the morning! After asking the questions, I eventually discovered that you have to leave these switched on at the mains, or disconnect the attachment bit, or it works in reverse! At least mine did. Not had any trouble since.
          Very right jayjay, but mine was switched on at the mains AND WRECKED MY BATTERY!
          jiM.
          Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Battery Charging

Originally posted by ChrisR View Post
            Hi Ant,

I have one of those ctek smart chargers and I wondered if it is O/K to just connect directly to the battery with the croc clips. Just concerned about any harm to electronic systems...2006 Dimension.
            Many Thanks
            Chris
            Chris the better way would be to fit a Stirling Battery Maintainer and use the Dimension charger to keep the van battery topped up it takes about 1/2 to fit one mine is fitted on the end of the Pump and Battery locker behind the handbrake I can see the led's to check its working OK, there is also a similar one fron Van Bitz but I thought the Stirling better I got mine from Road Pro

Alf

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
              Working...
              X