drainage for van roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

drainage for van roof

Hi Ant, I know this is not really your field, but I've just finished sorting out water ingress to little Kip caravan...

Although it now doesn't leak and all is dry, the water 'puddles' on the roof when the poptop is down, as in when stored on the drive. Runs off ok when poptop is up (ie. whilst camping) but there seem to be no run-off points at the back by the door, it's just a box, boxed in. It looks like someone has stood on it at some point in the past before I owned it(hence the puddling) but even if this was straightened (goodness knows how I would do that!) I still think the puddling would happen. I think it's only a question of time before the puddles of water start finding a way in again...

As a temporary measure, I have the caravan parked on an angle so that the water drains off towards the front. It's ok, but would be level (hopefully) when pitched on a site, and I may have to lower the poptop if it got too windy at night.

I sent off for some samples of different rubber strips from seals direct, with channels of one sort or another. I thought if I could stick them to either side, they would channel the water off where it collects. I would run them down either side of the length from the back where the door is to the front, leaving a short bit protruding to form a sort of spout? The rain does run off anyway when the poptop is popped up, at the front there are two exit points, sort of!

However, none of the seals direct samples look like they would do the job. someone suggested the stuff they put in double glazed doors, but where would I get that from?

Any clues if this would work? Or any other method of getting the water to drain off the roof instead of collecting there?

Thanks, JayJay

Hi Jayjay.
    If the roof has a dent forming a bowl effect I doubt you'll get it to drain fully, you may need to do some belt a braces sealing in the areas that might be effected. Putting channels on the roof may work to rediect the rain flow but sadly I think you be left with a puddle regardless.
    Ant

Comment

Hi Ant, thanks for that! My ex-hubby has already done the belt and braces bit! Sikaflex (I calls it stickyflex) mostly. It's nice and dry inside now, and no rot, must have caught it just in time to stop that with the tarp that's been on all winter. I have however, packed the tarp for the trip to Wolverley! LOL!

There must be something I could use... seems funny always to have to have it on a tilt at one end... although that is how I store it on the drive.

Comment

Hi JayJay, I tilt my Combi to prevent pooling of water on the cover when I store it on the driveway, it does help.

Comment

I get puddles on top of my campervan - the first time I drive away after rain it all comes down the windscreen.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerw8 View Post
            Hi JayJay, I tilt my Combi to prevent pooling of water on the cover when I store it on the driveway, it does help.
            Yep tilting seems to be the only way....

Caz - My roma used to do that as well! However, as it's all GRP fibreglass body, it's not likely to start leaking, at least that puts your mind at rest!

I wonder if I could put a fibreglass 'shell' on my roof? LOL!

Comment

roof panel

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
              Yep tilting seems to be the only way....

Caz - My roma used to do that as well! However, as it's all GRP fibreglass body, it's not likely to start leaking, at least that puts your mind at rest!

I wonder if I could put a fibreglass 'shell' on my roof? LOL!
              Hi Jayjay,
              Thats not such a daft idea, when life calms down a bit measure the lenght and width of your roof and phone round the caravan breakers and see if they have a large fibreglass roof panel from a big caravan, you can cut it to size with a jigsaw and silicon rubber bond it to your exsistig roof.it would be lightweight and leakproof.you could fit gas struts inside to assist lifting, they come all shapes and sizes.
              Just a thought.
              See you at wolvers.
              Ian
              Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
              Working...
              X