As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dashboard lighting

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Dashboard lighting

    The lighting on my dashboard has been fading recently and finally has gone out. It is the speedo, clock and fuel gauge light that has gone - all other lighting is OK. I believe it is an MOT requirement so I do need to get it fixed.

    Any suggestions please?

    Thanks

    Di

    #2
    If all else fails .. a legal bodge

    It could of course simply be the bulb / LED that illuminates those instruments has failed and needs replacing... surely that's the first thing to check? Getting to the darned thing can be a bit of a performance though. Before you excavate try this: most cars have a rotary control on the dashboard that adjusts the illumination level of the dashboard lights. It's just possible that you have been catching this and have wound it down by stages to zero, in which case wind it up to maximum and see what happens. If that gets no result see if a fuse has gone. Tracking down electrical faults can be nightmarish, so here's the tale of a legal bodge I encountered:

    About 5 years ago I was forced to buy a 'cheapy' vehicle just to keep me mobile when my VWT4 camper gearbox expired catastrophically, the car (a Citroen) had been taken by the garage man to pay off an outstanding debt and he had fixed it up as cheaply as possible to get it through the MoT.

    The dashboard lights had failed and what he had done was to run a fresh wire from the ignition to a couple of low power bulbs located behind the instruments so that whenever the ignition was on the bulbs lit ... even if the side/headlamps were off. OK, it was a bit of a bodge, but it satisfied the test criteria. Of course ideally you want a 'proper' repair, but if you are truly 'up against it' this might help.
    Last edited by mikeroch; 23-11-2012, 08:59.

    Comment


      #3
      I replaced all the small bulbs in my C15 but had to remove the dash board to do it. Just buy a Haynes Manual and as long as you are a male, 20 -60 yrs then you can do it yourself.

      Comment


        #4
        I agree with Nigel, it is a DIY job, one thing to remember on a C15, the dash lights come on with the ignition not the outside lights.

        Peter

        Comment


          #5
          Thanks guys but sadly I'm not a 20-60 year old male I am a 70 year old female and no DIYer as far as vehicles are concerned. I am aware that the dash light comes on when ignition is switched on which it always has done day and night. No it does not have a rotary control on the dashboard that adjusts the illumination level of the dashboard light. So it will be off to my local chap then!


          Di

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by riosromahome View Post
            I replaced all the small bulbs in my C15 but had to remove the dash board to do it. Just buy a Haynes Manual and as long as you are a male, 20 -60 yrs then you can do it yourself.
            Even before I turned 60 I wouldn't have complied with the stereotype!

            I recall a phone call from Sue's mother (who had rather conventional views on gender specific roles) during the course of which I mentioned that I was ironing.
            When asked what Sue was doing, I said I wasn't exactly sure, but it involved sprawling across the driver's seat of the car and doing something technical with wires under the dashboard.

            My idea of car DIY is driving it round to the garage myself rather than getting them to collect it.
            Geoff

            Comment


              #7
              ArtooO and Sue - I think I'd like you two. I get quite cross with gender stereotypes - having failed to find the male type that does all those things they are supposed to do. Brute stength - brilliant - hard work - ok when he gets around to it --anything else - eg rewiring lights that fail, any minor electrics, sorting out propane gas regulators, putting up shelves, replacing hinges on gate posts that have sunk etc etc anything IT or admin technical - it is this supposedly idot weak OAP female that does it Sadly - useless at car mechanics

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by cedas View Post
                ArtooO and Sue - I think I'd like you two. I get quite cross with gender stereotypes - having failed to find the male type that does all those things they are supposed to do. Brute stength - brilliant - hard work - ok when he gets around to it --anything else - eg rewiring lights that fail, any minor electrics, sorting out propane gas regulators, putting up shelves, replacing hinges on gate posts that have sunk etc etc anything IT or admin technical - it is this supposedly idot weak OAP female that does it Sadly - useless at car mechanics
                As it happens, the incident Geoff mentioned involved something to do with a dashboard light on HIS car. He once told me of a discussion he had at work concerning new cars where the only thing you could access was the washer bottle & oil so everything else had to be done at a garage. He told them that he didn't know you still had to check the oil and water - so I pointed out that I did his car whenever I did mine!
                However that is my limit ( I no longer have to help change cv joints)

                Generally if a diy job requires anything more than blu-tack then we need an expert in.
                Sue

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Artoo02 View Post
                  As it happens, the incident Geoff mentioned involved something to do with a dashboard light on HIS car. He once told me of a discussion he had at work concerning new cars where the only thing you could access was the washer bottle & oil so everything else had to be done at a garage. He told them that he didn't know you still had to check the oil and water - so I pointed out that I did his car whenever I did mine!
                  However that is my limit ( I no longer have to help change cv joints)

                  Generally if a diy job requires anything more than blu-tack then we need an expert in.
                  I find that almost anything to do with D.I.Y,be it household or vehicular,requires such an investment in tools its just not worth it,I pay someone to do it,its easier on my wallet,back and temper!
                  If it cant be done with a bent spoon and a pair of scissors pick the phone up and get dialling.
                  as for gender role definitions, having worked in science and technology for almost half a century,I can assure you anyone can do almost anything,given motivation and training!
                  Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    We're the opposite - every job has to be DIY rather than pay someone else to do it. The problem is, I'm pretty useless and need supervision but my husband, who is excellent at DIY, works long hours so no chance of doing anything in an evening and most weekends he goes away which means the DIY tends not to happen.

                    Our bathroom sprung a leak in March and became unusable. The plan was re-plumb, re-fit and re-tile it ourselves only there was never time. It was only last month that we had to give in and get a pair of plumbers in to do the work (which took 8 days with two men working throughout) incurring a labour bill of nearly £2k and, apart from having to shift a gas pipe, we could have done it all ourselves.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I learned many years ago (before I met Sue, so she knew what she was getting!), that it was usually cheaper to get a professional from the start, than pay them to deal with the consequences of my efforts.
                      It also avoids the head-shaking and barely concealed pitying smirks!
                      Geoff

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by cedas View Post
                        ArtooO and Sue - I think I'd like you two. I get quite cross with gender stereotypes - having failed to find the male type that does all those things they are supposed to do. Brute stength - brilliant - hard work - ok when he gets around to it --anything else - eg rewiring lights that fail, any minor electrics, sorting out propane gas regulators, putting up shelves, replacing hinges on gate posts that have sunk etc etc anything IT or admin technical - it is this supposedly idot weak OAP female that does it Sadly - useless at car mechanics

                        I have an idea that the phrase 'weaker sex' was coined by some woman to disarm the man she was preparing to overwhelm.

                        Ogden Nash

                        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by karenw View Post
                          We're the opposite - every job has to be DIY rather than pay someone else to do it. The problem is, I'm pretty useless and need supervision but my husband, who is excellent at DIY, works long hours so no chance of doing anything in an evening and most weekends he goes away which means the DIY tends not to happen.

                          Our bathroom sprung a leak in March and became unusable. The plan was re-plumb, re-fit and re-tile it ourselves only there was never time. It was only last month that we had to give in and get a pair of plumbers in to do the work (which took 8 days with two men working throughout) incurring a labour bill of nearly £2k and, apart from having to shift a gas pipe, we could have done it all ourselves.
                          When we bought our house it hadn't been lived in for over 3 years so there was plenty of work to do. It was solid enough but everything was dated and tired and in need of attention. It's taken 2 years but we have now been through every room and redecorated and improved on things as required. We did everything ourselves until it came to the lounge, its a big room and Vicki was heavily pregnant by the time we got round to it. We had not long finished the kitchen and that had sapped the last of our energy and enthusiasm. So, not wanting to have the house finished before the baby arrived we paid someone to come in and redecorate the lounge for us. They did an OK job but its not to the standard that I would have done it which niggles me that we paid a substantial sum of money for a job that wasn't perfect. Don't think I will be paying for a decorator to come in again. Lesson learned
                          Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

                          Comment


                            #14
                            How odd that a request from me on advice on my disappearing dash lights has turned into a discussion on gender! Strangely I thought I was asking Ant's advice. Obviously should have posted in 'the lounge'!

                            Just for the record there were not many manual jobs that I would not have successfully tackled before the onset of age related problems.

                            Di

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Scruffandco View Post
                              Thanks guys but sadly I'm not a 20-60 year old male I am a 70 year old female and no DIYer as far as vehicles are concerned. I am aware that the dash light comes on when ignition is switched on which it always has done day and night. No it does not have a rotary control on the dashboard that adjusts the illumination level of the dashboard light. So it will be off to my local chap then!


                              Di
                              I think you have hit on the best solution in your particular circumstances.
                              good luck with the local fellow,its clearly fixable.

                              Ian
                              Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

                              Comment

                              320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

                              Collapse

                              728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X