Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legal overhangs & lights

Hi Ant
    I have a Sunntreker demountable an old one, it hangs out the back of the pickup by 300mm (12 inches old money) it as cut aways so that the lights & indicators can be seen. However a friend as told me that this is now illegal and the demountable should have lights& indecators fitted to it.I have been using the camper for quite a while now and no problems so far.Can you tell me in your wisdom am I breaking the law and will I need to have some lights etc. fitted.
    Thanks for any advice.

Ron

Hi Ron.
    The legal over hang is 60% of the wheel base. If you measure from the centre of the front axle to the centre of the rear axle,it's 60% of that number that is allowed from the centre of the rear axle to the last protruding part of the body.
    As far as the lights are concered, I've not been told of any change in the law, and proving they can all be clearly seen from 20metres away they should be ok, that includes the number plate and its' lighting.
    Thanks
    Ant

Comment

Originally posted by ant View Post
      Hi Ron.
      The legal over hang is 60% of the wheel base. If you measure from the centre of the front axle to the centre of the rear axle,it's 60% of that number that is allowed from the centre of the rear axle to the last protruding part of the body.
      As far as the lights are concered, I've not been told of any change in the law, and proving they can all be clearly seen from 20metres away they should be ok, that includes the number plate and its' lighting.
      Thanks
      Ant
      Hi Ant
      Thanks for that info, I do have marker lights front and rear which I am thinking of up grading to be more visible at night. I did try to Google my question but as usual got sent round in circles so no real answer.

Ron

Comment

Hi Ron, University of Google came up with this, para 21 looks relevant, over one metre overhang requires extra lights (unless you are an agricultural vehicle )

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_1.htm

As Ant sez, no problem
        Derek Our Berlingo camping car

Comment

Thanks for that Derek, I tried Google but I couldnt find that info so thanks again. I am going to print it off and show it to my friend, Im sure he was worried and trying to be helpfull when he warned me I could be illegal.

Regards to all
          Ron

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
          Working...
          X