Spare gas bottles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spare gas bottles

We are planning to stay on some sites that don't have any facilities. We only have space in side compartment in Outlook for one blue gas bottle. As you know the bottles can and always do run out in the middle of cooking dinner and when the nearest supplier is 10 miles away!

We were wondering about getting a spare small gas bottle but where to store it? Don't want to put it in the other storage space on outside of van as the Eberspacher is underneath.

Do you know what the smallest size gas bottle is that we could use and any ideas of where to store it safely when travelling and camped up.

By blue gas bottle do you mean campingaz or calor butane? if campingaz, you can get 907, (probably the size you have) then a 904 is about half the size and then a 901, they are all here.

if calor, it seems they also do 3 sizes, 4.5kg, 7kg and 15kg here.

hope that helps
    Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Some useful links there, thanks glenw
      http://romahomeandaway.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks a lot Glen, there is a supplier just up the road in Borehamwood so can pop in and see what fits.

Looks like we will be off soon. We are aiming to join in with the Camping and Caravan club 'Mountain'Activity Section - which actually means walking group. They have some great meet locations and organised walks, several every month too, so I should not get lost walking alone in the dales and lakes area.

Comment

Hi Scapaflow.
          Just remember the gas bottle MUST be stored in the upright position, a slight angle may be alright but never lie them on their sides, if the seal is faulty it will leak liguid gas which makes alot of combustable gas when the liquid evaporates.
          Ant

Comment

Originally posted by ScapaFlow View Post
            Do you know what the smallest size gas bottle is that we could use and any ideas of where to store it safely when travelling and camped up.
            In our 2004 Duo Hylo that used a 907 there was spare space in the gas locker for a 901
            Derek Our Berlingo camping car

Comment

We dont use camping gas in our Outlook, we use the smallest Calorgas propane cylinder. It holds a lot more gas than the 907 and is only £13 to change. We use propane because we are all year round campers but calor also do a butane the same size. When we go to France we carry a spare 907 in a locker inside the van for emergencies. The one time we deid not take it we ran out or gas on the way home (but in England).

You just need to make sure that you have the right connections.

We cannot use the locker on the drivers side because we have the hot water option and the hot water tank is in that locker.

Comment

I tend to take a small suitcase type cooker with me, runs on propane gas cannisters. Then if I run out, I can use this just to finish of a meal, boil a kettle etc, until I can get the bottle replaced.

somthing like this, and they don't weigh much:
                http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sales-and-Marketing-Direct-Ltd/dp/B000S0J81Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=sports&qid=1272533750&sr=1-3

Comment

Have now edited this because I have found out that we have campingaz so are just off to shop in St Albans to buy a spare small one.

Jayjay, hi. We did think about the extra cooker hob but T reminded me that if we are on no facilities site we will need gas for fridge too, so need the spare bottle for that.
                  Last edited by Flo; 30-04-2010, 10:12.

Comment

Originally posted by ant View Post
                    Hi Scapaflow.
                    Just remember the gas bottle MUST be stored in the upright position, a slight angle may be alright but never lie them on their sides, if the seal is faulty it will leak liguid gas which makes alot of combustable gas when the liquid evaporates.
                    Ant
                    Thanks Ant. Does this mean we can store it INSIDE in one of the underseat areas if wedged upright?.

Comment

Hi Scapa'.
                      You should really only store gas in an area that has a drop hole vent so that any leaking gas can escape to the outside world. Having said that, I see many gas bottles in seat lockers, some wrapped up in bags, some just packed in foam blocks. I think the "Nanny state" can go too far and awareness of the potential problems can often be enough for sensible people.
                      Ant

Comment

Originally posted by ScapaFlow View Post
                        Thanks Ant. Does this mean we can store it INSIDE in one of the underseat areas if wedged upright?.
                        When I had the little roma, both of my camping gaz cannisters were stored under the seat nearest the cooker. They were fixed with hooks and bungee cords! However, it worked, they didn't move an inch in transit! I didn't have an outside locker on my roma with it being a mark one. There was a drop hole vent to the outside underneath this locker. Gas is heavier than air, so any leaks tend to go downwards, if I remember it right. You could always put an air vent in, though, it surely can't be that hard?

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X