Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corner steadys

Dear Ant,

I have a mk5 demountable. The rear corner steadies are in a sorry state and I would like to replace them. How difficult a job is this?

Kind regards

Steve

Steve.
    How lucky are you feeling? the fixing studs are resined into the underside of the pod, if you're lucky they'll not turn when you try to unbolt the steadies. Most of the time they'll turn and you have a much more tricky job on your hands!
    Ant

Comment

Ant,
      Oh dear I thought you might say something like that. I wonder if I would have an easier time if I leave the mount of the jack attached to the body strip the rest and renew?
      Also thought you might like to see my van?
      2012-10-06-169.jpg

Comment

Glad to see a Jiffy

I built this one in 1988 but since then it has gone through several renovations and refits. This is what it looked like last year when it was on ebay
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi peter,
          I saw your van on ebay. You did a good job. Mine started life as a pick-up then when I built it I put my mk5 on the back took a lot of working on for flat bed height etc.
          Steve

Comment

Wasn't like that when I sold it in 1994.

I bought mine as a pickup, removed the bed (I made it into a trailer that I still use) and stretched the chassis by 30cm, fitted a deck of marine ply and then mounted the Romahome shell on that. It was one of the very early shells permanently fixed to a Honda pickup with a 360cc engine.

Peter

Comment

sounds like you had the same fun as I have had piecing the jigsaw together.
              So did you build the van in 88 sell it in 94 then buy it back modify it then sell it again?

Comment

No bought in 88 sold in 94, then rest nothing to do with me. But I wish that I still had it.

Peter

Comment

You should have bought it!! I love mine to bits.
                  Waiting for a brand new engine at the moment should be here the end of the month just in time for the camping season

Comment

At least it is easy to fit an engine.

Have you disks or drums at the front and have you got a brake servo?

Peter

Comment

Mine were going nowhere and one was bent when I bought my d/m! Being a wimpy diminutive sized creature, I took it to my local garage. They straightened the bent one and worked some grease into both and they worked great after that!

Comment

Peter,
                        Yes easy engine fit modified the front of the chassis to bolt on and off so can that I can take engine and subframe out like a trolley. Disc brakes on the front I manufactured a servo mount and actuator that fits to the jiffy bulkhead I can send you some pics if you would like?
                        jayjay that might be the best option considering what Ant said.
                        Steve

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X