Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change of van!!

Hello Ladies & Gents

Myself & the better half are thinking of changing the unit on the back of our old van something more comfortable& powerful!!!. At the moment we have a Romahome unit, bolted to a Piaggio vehicle..I would also like to know how I could fit or more to the case somebody help me because I haven't a clue lol:confused1:..To know how to fit a mains hook up!! So just to summarise new vehicle,mains hook up,& some TLC for the back unit... Thank you very much for your time.. Cheers Terry & Aly
    Bring on the sunshine:happy banana:

Hi Terry and Aly.
    I'm a bit confused as to whether you want to up grade your current demountable to make it more powerful and comfy or you want to change it for a different Romahome with more power and creature comforts? If it's the latter there are various dealers who can help you with that, ( Avon, Freeborn , Halifax, AEG), if it's the former you can buy a mains electric kit for diy fitting that requires very little cutting and drilling, any competent diy-er could do it, ( get it tested for saftey once its fitted), but finding a more powerful base unit is the hard part. There are very few small pick-ups on the market that your unit will fit and I doubt any have much more power than your current vehicle.
    Thanks
    Ant

Comment

Thank you Ant for the reply.. I was really after the latter, A more powerful engine...so it would be another small pick up!!!..I think our van now is a 1 litre diesel which is ok but slow, & the noise being that we are sat on the engine is a little cheeky too.. I was more thinking of a little leg space, radio that you could hear!! & a vehicle that would stay at around 60 MPH!!!...So I think it would be a take the unit of the back & bolt it to something more suitable!!! Does help a little???.. Thank you again for your speedy reply very nice of you.. Cheers Terry & Aly

Comment

Originally posted by Tango View Post
        Thank you Ant for the reply.. I was really after the latter, A more powerful engine...so it would be another small pick up!!!..I think our van now is a 1 litre diesel which is ok but slow, & the noise being that we are sat on the engine is a little cheeky too.. I was more thinking of a little leg space, radio that you could hear!! & a vehicle that would stay at around 60 MPH!!!...So I think it would be a take the unit of the back & bolt it to something more suitable!!! Does help a little???.. Thank you again for your speedy reply very nice of you.. Cheers Terry & Aly
        I recently changed the base unit on my romahome pod.... and fitted ehu... and refurbished the pod.... it is a lot of work doing the refurb... depending on how in depth you want to go with it .. but changing the base vehicle was easy ...

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/foru...Refurb-started
        http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/foru...64-Flickr-link

2 links to the threads I made which will show exactly what I did .. and the work it took ... (but all said and done was so worth doing .. )
        I make occasional visits to reality, but I'm not a full time resident
        http://minimouseandmilos.blogspot.com

Comment

The fitting of good quality sound deadening matting on the engine cowling and inner cab would make a significant difference, and due to the ease of access and small overall area, would be relatively easy and inexpensive to do.

However, this won't help with more BHP or legroom!

Comment

A number of people on here have transferred their camper body to the Suzuki Carry which has a 1.3 petrol engine and they seem to be satisfied.

The Daihatsu/Piaggio diesel has always been a bit underpowered.

I wonder what truck your body was fitted on originally - it has already seen one transfer if it is on a Piaggio.

Peter

Comment

I know there was a thread a few months back about using the DFSK Load Hopper Pick up as a base but I dont remember what the final outcome was, possibly worth exploring though.
              Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Thanks everybody for your replies I will look into all of those leads & see what happens?? I'm also leaning to selling the van & buying a Fiat Doblo.. because I will need the car for work everyday.. So I will make a command decision with the Missus & see what happens??? Thanks again Terry & Aly

Comment

It seems you can get a new Porter with a 1.3 injected petrol engine - http://www.piaggioporter.co.uk/engines.htm

Would that provide any more ooomph?
                  Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Hello everybody..So the Suzuki carry does the job?. What do members on think??. If I buy a Suzuki carry for say around 4000 pounds then transfer the back unit on does that sound like a plan??. Also are they any members who has done this? I will start looking now as work is a little slack lol.. Cheers Terry & Aly

Comment

Hell Ant, Just a quick question??.. I was wondering if 11 horse power? Would that make much difference in live? I have been looking at the Suzuki Carry which what I can see sits around 74BHP & the Piaggio Porter diesel which I have 1 litre sits at 63 BHP..I think!!!.. Now I'm wondring if that would make much difference? Thank you for your time again lol.. Terry & Aly

Comment

PM Donk's Dad as he has done this swap and uses a Suzuki for his business and so he should Know.

Peter

Comment

Peter just tried PM to Donks Dad but it isn't happening...So lets see if he surfaces on here...Cheers Terry &Aly

Comment

Originally posted by Tango View Post
                            Peter just tried PM to Donks Dad but it isn't happening...So lets see if he surfaces on here...Cheers Terry &Aly
                            When you say "it isn't happening" what do you mean? You should be able to send Donks Dad a personal message there are several ways you could do it. If you look for a post he has done just click on his name and a little box will appear which will give you the option to send a personal message. Alternatively go to "private messages" at the top of the forum under "what's new" click on that then click on "send new message" on the left hand side.
                            Graham
                            Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Hello Graham I did the old click up by the left hand corner, typed the message went to send it & a message came back saying Donks dad does not except PMs.Something along that lines... Cheers Terry & Aly.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X