Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas usage for my fridge

Hi guys.
    I have a small Electrolux fridge in my romahome. It works ok but I'm worried about how much gas they use. (Don't want to wake up and not have gas for my breakfast)
    Cheers, lesley

Hi Lesley.
    The size of the gas burner is not that big so even running the gas flat out you're not going to use that much gas. Each fridge is a bit different to the next as to where you need the controls to get a reasonably cold ( 2 to 4 degrees C) fridge, many will freeze part of the cabinet if run flat out. If you're concerned about gas consumption turn the fridge down at night, providing it's not opened the fridge will stay cold over night with very little gas consumption. Hot summer days and balmy nights ( if you can remember what they are) you will use more gas as the fridge is less efficient when it's harder to cool the back of the unit.
    Ant

Comment

Like Ant says they don't use much. I took my camper on a long journey to the outer Hebrides, just a 907 gas bottle and no ehu to the fridge, it was only a two-way fridge, so always using gas. The 907 wasn't full when I started out, but lasted a fortnight including using the fridge every day. I still had enough for another few days when I got back. They use most gas to cool down in the first place, so cool it down with ice packs (for cool boxes) first or pack alongside the food when you leave and it won't take much to get down to temp. I used to leave mine on full for approx half an hour when I got where I was going, then turned down to low for the rest of the time.

If you are worried about running out of gas, take a spare gas bottle if you have room, or a small suitcase cooker and tinned gas, just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by Lesleyprytherch View Post
        Hi guys.
        I have a small Electrolux fridge in my romahome. It works ok but I'm worried about how much gas they use. (Don't want to wake up and not have gas for my breakfast)
        Cheers, lesley
        As has already been said, they do not use a lot of gas.

I have had several caravans with fridges and I never felt that EHU would be cheaper or more convenient and rarely bothered with it. My electrical needs are easily handled by my batteries.
        Before leaving home I did follow certain practices to conserve gas later though.
        If I had a 3 way fridge I always packed it as full as possible and got it down to temperature with an electric hook up. Usually the night before leaving home.
        If only gas, I always filled the fridge as late as possible with items chilled more than usual in the house fridge. I also added frozen items direct from the freezer to be used for our first meal.
        If the fridge had a 12volt facility I treated it as for the gas fridge, but also switched on the 12 volt option while travelling. Though the fridge was probably cold enough initially not to switch on the 12 volt electricity supply anyway.
        I suppose, as most people carry two gas bottles, it would not be difficult or expensive to have the fridge supplied individually from the second bottle. That way, if the fridge gas ran out over-night you would still be able to cook breakfast before looking for gas.
        Jim.
        Last edited by Twolitre; 13-03-2013, 11:55.
        Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

I always packed it as full as possible

I was told never to pack a fridge wedged tight with food as the air/cold couldn't circulate properly and it wouldn't be as fuel efficient! Good advice, but with such a teeny fridge like the one I have....?

I always freeze a lot of stuff for the next day or two though, that works as extra freezer blocks!

Comment

i carry a frozen bottle of milk as well as a fresh bottle when travelling, by the time you need more milk the frozen one has defrosted and it has helped your fridge in the meantime

Ann & Daisy

Comment

Originally posted by Pallingham View Post
              i carry a frozen bottle of milk as well as a fresh bottle when travelling, by the time you need more milk the frozen one has defrosted and it has helped your fridge in the meantime

Ann & Daisy
              That's a good idea.
              derek b and Babs

Comment

Originally posted by Pallingham View Post

Ann & Daisy
                I never thought of that one. I always keep milk frozen at home so why not in the van. Thanks for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
                  As has already been said, they do not use a lot of gas.

I have had several caravans with fridges and I never felt that EHU would be cheaper or more convenient and rarely bothered with it. My electrical needs are easily handled by my batteries.
                  Before leaving home I did follow certain practices to conserve gas later though.
                  If I had a 3 way fridge I always packed it as full as possible and got it down to temperature with an electric hook up. Usually the night before leaving home.
                  If only gas, I always filled the fridge as late as possible with items chilled more than usual in the house fridge. I also added frozen items direct from the freezer to be used for our first meal.
                  If the fridge had a 12volt facility I treated it as for the gas fridge, but also switched on the 12 volt option while travelling. Though the fridge was probably cold enough initially not to switch on the 12 volt electricity supply anyway.
                  I suppose, as most people carry two gas bottles, it would not be difficult or expensive to have the fridge supplied individually from the second bottle. That way, if the fridge gas ran out over-night you would still be able to cook breakfast before looking for gas.
                  Jim.
                  Thanks for that.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                    Like Ant says they don't use much. I took my camper on a long journey to the outer Hebrides, just a 907 gas bottle and no ehu to the fridge, it was only a two-way fridge, so always using gas. The 907 wasn't full when I started out, but lasted a fortnight including using the fridge every day. I still had enough for another few days when I got back. They use most gas to cool down in the first place, so cool it down with ice packs (for cool boxes) first or pack alongside the food when you leave and it won't take much to get down to temp. I used to leave mine on full for approx half an hour when I got where I was going, then turned down to low for the rest of the time.

If you are worried about running out of gas, take a spare gas bottle if you have room, or a small suitcase cooker and tinned gas, just in case.
                    I've got a suitcase burner & 2 gas bottles. It was just the thought of having to find gas bottles if mine ran out. Sounds promising on the fridge front now.

Comment

Originally posted by ant View Post
                      Hi Lesley.
                      The size of the gas burner is not that big so even running the gas flat out you're not going to use that much gas. Each fridge is a bit different to the next as to where you need the controls to get a reasonably cold ( 2 to 4 degrees C) fridge, many will freeze part of the cabinet if run flat out. If you're concerned about gas consumption turn the fridge down at night, providing it's not opened the fridge will stay cold over night with very little gas consumption. Hot summer days and balmy nights ( if you can remember what they are) you will use more gas as the fridge is less efficient when it's harder to cool the back of the unit.
                      Ant
                      Thanks Ant. Feel a bit more confident to use it now. Thanks for that.

Comment

Don't think we will need to use the fridge till after Easter !!!!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X