Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RomaHome Restore

Hi

My Mum and Dad have been camping (tent) since myself and my brothers were babies (I'm now 57!). As they got older they started to use a campervan and their last one is a Citroen C15 RomaHome, R reg., 1997 diesel.
    Dad's now 86 and has onset of dimensia so cannot continue to use the camper much to their distress! It didn't pass it's MOT needing headlights and a lot of welding work. I asked a bodyman to look at it and he said he can get the headlights (only 5 left in the country), the inner wings are really bad but he can fix them though it will be a lot of work (time and money), he could get 1 sill and fix the other, the bonnet is very rusty on the front - he could plate it but it would take a lot of work and he couldn't locate one through his sources.

So, my questions are:

1. do youknow where we can find a bonnet?
    2. do you think it's worth £2000 to fix the van?
    3. do you think we could find new wings rather than fix the old ones and would that be cheaper?

Hope you can help. If you need any further information please do not hesitate to contact me on cath.waters@hotmail.com

Thank you in anticipation.

Cath Waters (RomaToy)

Hi and welcome

Im sure the C15 experts will be along to advise you on the best place to get parts etc soon.

I don't have any experience with these but I do have a lot of experience of restoring vehicles that have seen better days!

Roma's seem to keep their value pretty well so the real question is what will your £2000 buy you? If it will get the vehicle into a state where it is solid again and will gave many more years of service then id say yes its worth it as even older C15 campers can fetch £5 - £7k. However if it is badly rotten and is going to need work every year to get it through the MOT then its possibly less worth while, it's difficult to say without seeing the extent of the rot.

I believe it is possible to transfer the romahome "pod" on to a new base vehicle but as I understand it its not a straightforward process and can lead to it's own problems.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Originally posted by RomaToy View Post
      Hi

My Mum and Dad have been camping (tent) since myself and my brothers were babies (I'm now 57!). As they got older they started to use a campervan and their last one is a Citroen C15 RomaHome, R reg., 1997 diesel.
      Dad's now 86 and has onset of dimensia so cannot continue to use the camper much to their distress! It didn't pass it's MOT needing headlights and a lot of welding work. I asked a bodyman to look at it and he said he can get the headlights (only 5 left in the country), the inner wings are really bad but he can fix them though it will be a lot of work (time and money), he could get 1 sill and fix the other, the bonnet is very rusty on the front - he could plate it but it would take a lot of work and he couldn't locate one through his sources.

So, my questions are:

1. do youknow where we can find a bonnet?
      2. do you think it's worth £2000 to fix the van?
      3. do you think we could find new wings rather than fix the old ones and would that be cheaper?

Hope you can help. If you need any further information please do not hesitate to contact me on cath.waters@hotmail.com

Thank you in anticipation.

Cath Waters (RomaToy)
      Hi Cath.
      C15 body parts have been very hard to get for some time now. The last bonnet I needed I had to buy from Citroen at 4 times the price of after market sources, I don't know if they are still available from Citroen but worth asking the question.
      Huff makes a very valid point regarding whether or not £2000 is worth spending on a vehicle. If you'll get a few more trouble free MOTs as a result it's probably worth spending the money on the "Devil you know". If you're just scraping through another MOT with that kind of spend you're probably into half that again next year and so it will go on.
      I think you need to have the vehicle structurally assessed, try and avoid looking at the cosmetic blemishes. If it's strucurally sound ( or could be with a small spend) then you can plan the cosmetic repairs bit by bit.
      Ultimately you're into more and more repairing of the body panels rather than replacement simply because the bits are hard to come by. A tatty body panel rarely fails an MOT providing its not actually hanging off!
      Ant

Comment

It's only a couple of months since I last enquired about body panels from Autopanels of Castleford and they still had some left.

email: autopanels@btconnect.com , tel: 01977 559574

Remember though to be specific that you are enquiring about the van, not the car. Some panels are the same, others are not.

e.t.a. I think the sills were one item they had which were different. They're longer in the car than in the van. It's worth checking though to see if they can be cut down.
        Last edited by paul; 19-04-2013, 12:01.

Comment

RomaHome Restore

Thanks to all for your comments. I have managed to locate a Bonnet for a C15 van, which we are assuming will be the same, from Auto Panels Castleford but they only had sills for a 4 door and I will have to contact my bodyman to see if they will do the job or not.
          Thanks again for the responses. Cath (RomaToy)

Comment

If you could find an ordinary C15 van, it might provide some of the bits. I had an argument with an obstinate sheep a few months ago -sheep won - was totally unhurt but broke my indicator lights. I was lucky in that someone local was just scrapping a C15 van of similar age to my romahome so managed to replace the lights/plastic cover easily. Just wish I had had space to keep the rest of the van - there might have been all sorts of useful bits on it.

Comment

Regarding the sills, car body shops often modify and fit replacement sills from other cars to older and classic cars when the originals are not available. They even make them from scratch sometimes.

When we had our C15 I joined a local nightschool class and we made new sections to replace the bodywork at the bottom corners of the windscreen. They were complex shapes with curves in 2 directions and had to be made in 2 pieces but they had a machine for bending sheet steel. Sometimes it just needs a bit of ingenuity.

Peter
              Last edited by peterholden; 24-04-2013, 15:57.

Comment

Generally it is far easier to make new sills from scratch rather than modify a ready made set to fit. There is nothing particularly complex about a sill, it's jigging the body so it doesn't twist during the replacement thats the hard part

Comment

update

Originally posted by Rob B View Post
                  Generally it is far easier to make new sills from scratch rather than modify a ready made set to fit. There is nothing particularly complex about a sill, it's jigging the body so it doesn't twist during the replacement thats the hard part
                  hi all. van's almost done with new bonnet. found the driverside window falls down on opening. looking for a replacement channel or window. any ideas please?

Comment

Hi Cath.
                    I think the channels are still available from Citroen, part number 7920071954, just check that is the drivers side number it's the only one I have on my records.
                    Ant

Comment

Did you manage to get the wings and sills welded up ok?

Comment

Originally posted by RomaToy View Post
                        hi all. van's almost done with new bonnet. found the driverside window falls down on opening. looking for a replacement channel or window. any ideas please?
                        Hmm. Sounds like the old Micra that I inherited from my kids, which keeps passing the MOT, much to my surprise! The driver's window stays up...as long as you don't touch the handle. Is fun paying at the toll bridge and going in / out of car-parks as I need to open the door to reach the ticket thingy. The things you learn to live with when driving old cars!
                        Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Some good advice here.

As Rob asked, Did you manage to get the welding done?

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B View Post
                            Did you manage to get the wings and sills welded up ok?
                            Yes I did.

found a lovely 'body' man who has been working on it inbetween jobs. bonnets on, wings are fixed and bits of rust cleared from bottom of doors. Just the window to sort out now.
                            Getting excited now!!

Comment

widgetinstance 226 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X