Carpet Protector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carpet Protector

Do folks use any form of carpet protector? In our R20 we bought some quite thick and hard transparent plastic with little spikes on the underside, cut it to fit and it works OK but the spikes tend not to grip the Romahome's carpet and the protector rides up and needs repositioning quite often. I must admit that we've had it a couple of years and many of the spikes are now broken/bent so perhaps a new one will be better but it never stayed fixed long even from new.

I know you can get a thin, adhesive protector but I'm expecting this to be quite a short term solution that will need replacing quite often. Am I correct? One other solution I can think of is that cushion flooring you can get for caravans but I wonder if that is also prone to slipping/riding up. Apart from that it's using loose mats or something.

What do other folk do?

Originally posted by BrianTheSnail View Post
    Do folks use any form of carpet protector? In our R20 we bought some quite thick and hard transparent plastic with little spikes on the underside, cut it to fit and it works OK but the spikes tend not to grip the Romahome's carpet and the protector rides up and needs repositioning quite often. I must admit that we've had it a couple of years and many of the spikes are now broken/bent so perhaps a new one will be better but it never stayed fixed long even from new.

I know you can get a thin, adhesive protector but I'm expecting this to be quite a short term solution that will need replacing quite often. Am I correct? One other solution I can think of is that cushion flooring you can get for caravans but I wonder if that is also prone to slipping/riding up. Apart from that it's using loose mats or something.

What do other folk do?
    Our carpets are held down with press studs, underneath is fitted heavy grade vinyl flooring, this means if we wish to we can lift the carpet and and use the vinyl, we prefer the carpet however, it has got covered in muck but brushing brings it clean again, perhaps there is other flooring under yours.
    derek b and Babs

Comment

carpet protector

we used the thin polythene type protector for whole of 2012 season,without replacing once,even though maker recommended replacing every few weeks.and we had dog with us.make sure you wear shoes or slippers,as it always feels cold. not bad for a tenner.

Comment

carpet

the first thing we do is tack romehome carpet up put it away then lay a new one . if u no any carpet fiters they have bits they put in skipe they give u them after 6 month replace them . up north we have a capet warehouse pick some oup for a fiver keep on on top of luton for back door if it gets to wet put new one down. just wating to find size of now New R25 then put new carpet down any one no size of floor in R25 tom denise (diggdeep):

Comment

Between the beds I have two hand woven rugs from the pound shop which I take out and shake regularly. Between the sink and cooker I have doormats.

Comment

We took up the rear half (kitchen end) of our original carpet and laid some vinyl, then had a removable mat made from carpet matching the original to put over it,so we can use either. The vinyl is easier to keep clean, esp on wet, muddy sites, but the carpet/mat is cosier. Also can be shaken, hoovered or shampooed as necessary. Works well when you have 2 mucky doggies!

Comment

Originally posted by Caz View Post
              Between the beds I have two hand woven rugs from the pound shop which I take out and shake regularly.
              Called Semaphore I think!
              derek b and Babs

Comment

I removed the brand new carpeting in mine on the day I bought it and replaced with with rubber-backed, washable doormats. The rear footwell floor has also been replaced with varnished beech with upstands so that the whole of my floor area can be washed and brushed out. For me, carpeting is impractical especially when camping in wet weather or on wet/muddy grass. It's inevitable that wet grass, mud and/or grit will be trodden into the van even though any muddy boots are left on newspaper or in a crate in the rear footwell.

The carpet will be replaced when the van is advertised for sale.

Comment

Like Derek B we use the existing carpet with boots, shoes and dirty paws all year round. One clean a year with a spot remover for olive oil and red wine stain followed by a quick going over with a borrowed carpet cleaner and good as new (almost). Having modified various items, like bed, table and sink, our s/hand van will never be sold as pristine, but we get so much fun out of it that it doesn't seem to matter.
                  Colin

Comment