Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Body Repairs / Door Replacements Citroen C15 Romahome 1993

Greetings,

We are just considering buying a 1993 C15 Romahome (on a budget), and have found one at the right price, mechanically good, 100K (£2000), but there are a few bad points regarding the body and panels. We would be interested in anyone else's experience with the following!

There is the start of rot above the top of the windscreen - is this a known weak point with the C15 / Romahome? To do a proper repair on it we would need to lift the camping unit off the cab roof - has anyone tried this? is it a relatively easy thing to do/attempt?

The front doors are beyond a simple door skin replacement, so looking for replacement doors - would we be right in saying that the C15 doors have not changed in size/dimensions over the years and that later doors would fit okay?

(we also want to tow a light trailer and British bike behind... but I see that this has been addressed in an earlier topic)

Any help/advice much appreciated
    Kind regards
    Jon
    Malvern, UK

HI! From what I've read on here and other places, you might be able to find doors and so on from a breakers. What is more important is to make sure the engine mountings, etc., are sound and that the engine isn't going to drop out.

A lady who posted on here recently discovered that the old C15 she had bought was never going to pass an MOT, the body was too far gone to repair... so take it for an MOT check to make sure there are no serious defects before you buy.

You can't ordinarily take the pod off either, they aren't meant to be parted, although several have been transferred to more modern vehicles, so it can be done. I think you have to actually break it off in places though, it's not simply a case of undoing a few bolts, like is the case on the demountable versions on flat bed vans.

Sorry to be so negative! But you're best getting expert advice regarding the body before buying!

Comment

Given the scarcity of C15 body panels I'd consider very carefully whether its worth buying this vehicle and doing it up vs spending a little more on one thats more solid to begin with.
      Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

From other posts I believe good C15 doors are becoming difficult to get hold of even from a scrapyard. If you do a search I think one of our members has posted what to look out for when buying a C15. I would agree with Jayjay that a garage inspection would be sensible before parting with any money

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Comment

Crucial place to check is the bulkhead, below the windscreen, it is well padded and the jack is held in place to it by a rubber strap, worth looking carefully in this area.It can be welded but I know this can be a real problem.Also the front of the bonnet rusts underneath the plastic trim and also the wings.

Comment

All good advice - hope whatever you decide works out well.

Comment

Many thanks to all who have replied; good advice.

It has just passed the MOT so that is a plus, and after a quick glance/prod around, the rust and rot is only (at the moment) of a cosmetic concern. We will take some more time inspecting engine mounts and bulkhead, and digest all the advice everyone has given!

Many Thanks
              Jon

Comment

There is a C15 Roma on ebay at the moment being broken for parts http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-C1...item53f1fd88b9

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B View Post
                  There is a C15 Roma on ebay at the moment being broken for parts ...
                  I wrote about this vehicle last year in this thread.

The doors and bonnet are in poor condition and the interior is totally burnt out. I didn't check out the engine, gearbox and similar mechanical components (the dashboard is completely burnt out so there is no way to tell the mileage).

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
                    I wrote about this vehicle last year in this thread.

The doors and bonnet are in poor condition and the interior is totally burnt out. I didn't check out the engine, gearbox and similar mechanical components (the dashboard is completely burnt out so there is no way to tell the mileage).
                    Apologies I hadn't seen your previous post.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B View Post
                      Apologies I hadn't seen your previous post.
                      No need for apologies Rob. My post was a long time ago. I'm quite surprised that they're still advertising it but I guess there must still be usable mechanics on it.

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post

No need for apologies Rob. My post was a long time ago. I'm quite surprised that they're still advertising it but I guess there must still be usable mechanics on it.
                        There possibly isn't much of it left by now

Comment

I am sure that it must be a good excuse for a trip to Holland or France. There are still thousands of C15s on the road in these countries. Visits to scrap yards ought to reveal good doors and bonnets.

Peter

Comment

I had a similar problem with the doors of my C15 and had this same bright idea of going to breakers yards while on holiday in France. They just laughed and said "Pas de chance!" Apparently, the likelihood of finding a rust-free door is pretty remote as they are the first things to go. Sorry!

Comment

Purchased

Greetings, thank you again for all the advice.

In the end it was just too good to walk away from. It was due a cam belt change so after a bit of bargaining I got it for £1850. I did manage to source new doors and bonnet from a French dealer, but at a price and in the end he was reluctant to deliver / post, or wait for me to collect.

So, in the end I have purchased, for £600, a low mileage 2002 Citroen works C15 van - absolutely immaculate and with factory fitted alloy wheels. so new doors and bonnet problem resolved. Might put the alloys on the camper too and see what the handling is like.

A question (or two):

This is a 1994 L Reg Romahome - the wiring was in a bit of a pickle but have just about sorted it out now, apart from a water pump. I have got a new/original water tank for the Romahome and just need the fittings now - is there anywhere I can get the type and size of pump that was originally fitted?

We have a slight pool of rain water each time after a heavy down pour on drivers side floor well - difficult to see if it is coming through windscreen seal or from bulkhead somewhere - any known weak/leak points in this area?!

Cheers

Jon

Comment