Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fridge query

Hi all,

I have a query about the fridge when using gas. My fridge has an automatic sparking switch – to light the gas one puts the small rocker switch to the on position whilst pushing in the separate gas dial and turning the dial to the flame position. When putting the rocker switch to “on”, the switch lights up and you can hear the spark continuously clicking away until it lights the gas. When the gas lights the clicking stops but the manual says leave the switch in the on position (when using gas).

My query is, if I leave the fridge on whilst away from the van for the day and the gas runs out, will the automatic sparking start because the rocker switch has been left in the on position? If it does, will it continue sparking until I return to the van and manually put the rocker switch into the off position? I wouldn’t want the sparking device to keep going all day (trying to light the non-existent gas) as presumably it would wear out the auto spark device much sooner than the occasional use it usually gets.

What I have been doing when leaving the van for many hours is switching the fridge off, putting two freezer blocks in the fridge (which keeps the fridge fairly cool) then switching the fridge back on when returning to the van. The two freezer blocks just fit in the small freezing compartment and usually re- freeze over night ready for use the next day.

Terry.

Hi Terry,
    Firstly, I would get the fridge running on Gas.
    Then just turn the gas off slowly at the bottle..this will probably replicate the gas running out..Then see what happens at the fridge end!

Worth a try.

Best,

Dogseal.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry View Post
      Hi all,

My query is, if I leave the fridge on whilst away from the van for the day and the gas runs out, will the automatic sparking start because the rocker switch has been left in the on position? ....Terry.
      The answer is yes, I discovered this at Comberton when returning from the Sunday evening concert. Chatting to someone whilst leaning on the van I heard the clicking and found the gas had run out.

I must admit it did not make me think of turning the switch off whilst away from the van, but we have not been away since. I think I will switch it off in future. I probably wouldn't worry about using freezer blocks, because as long as the fridge door is not opened I would think it will stay cold for quite a long time. Ann

Comment

We can't even work out how to switch our fridge on!

It's an Electrolux, probably early 1980s, it's got a dial on it with numbers and a picture of a flame (that we can't get the dial to point to) and a knob that I think is the ignition. There is also a little pilot light viewing door (I think).
        Any help on how to light this thing would be greatly appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
          We can't even work out how to switch our fridge on!

It's an Electrolux, probably early 1980s, it's got a dial on it with numbers and a picture of a flame (that we can't get the dial to point to) and a knob that I think is the ignition. There is also a little pilot light viewing door (I think).
          Any help on how to light this thing would be greatly appreciated
          The dial is for the temperature, if you want it colder just put it to a higher number. Hold the knob with the flame on in and switch on the igniter still holding the knob in you will hear a clicking sound, if the gas is connected and on the flame should light but keep holding the knob in for about 30 seconds and then you can slowly release it and it should be lit.
          Graham
          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Fridge lighting.

I have had fridge trouble too recently. I tried it on gas for the first time and although it would light as long as the knob was pushed in and held, it went off as soon as the knob was released however long it was held in. I then discovered that the gas had been running low. I'm hoping that it was the low pressure that caused it. Have just put in a new bottle but not tried it again. Thanks for the reminder!

Comment

Thanks for all your replies – once again the wisdom and experience of members resolves the query!!

Originally posted by Twinkletoes View Post
              I must admit it did not make me think of turning the switch off whilst away from the van, but we have not been away since. I think I will switch it off in future. Ann
              For safety I wouldn’t turn off the auto sparking switch whilst using gas to power the fridge; I assume the switch is left in the "on" position in case the flame went out but gas still came through so the gas would be lit again. I don’t know if that scenario would be possible but the fridge instruction manual does have the switch permanently left in the on position until one stops using gas to run the fridge (not sure how important this may be).

I will try and scan my fridge instruction manual into my computer with a view to attaching it to a posting if anyone out there may be interested in a copy.

Cheers, Terry.

Comment

There is a downloadable version of an elexrolux fridge manua on the small motorhome main webpage - here. It may not be the exact one but some of the distructions maybe similar??
                Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Also, if you type the make and model number of your fridge+manual into google, it will come up with loads of download manuals. Most of them are on the Dometic site.

Comment

Thanks everyone, I'll give it another go. Glen, thanks for the manual, which is the right one, but it's pretty illegible and the bit about how to light the fridge is missing!! Anyway, I've found it on the internet. Graham, how do I upload it to the site? This is the link
                    http://www.thomson-caravans.co.uk/ad...22f_rm123e.pdf

Comment

Graham, how do I upload it to the site? This is the link
                      http://www.thomson-caravans.co.uk/ad...22f_rm123e.pdf
                      You can't but Pauline can, I will let her know and she will put it in our downloads section as soon as she gets time.

Thanks for the link.
                      Graham
                      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Right, I've just been lying face down on the floor of the Romahome for half an hour trying to light the [email protected]*&@! fridge!!! It's impossible! I give up!

Comment

Right, I've just been lying face down on the floor of the Romahome for half an hour trying to light the [email protected]*&@! fridge!!! It's impossible! I give up!
                          Been there, done that! Make sure it's switched on at the tap as well as the gas, there should be a separate gas tap not far away from it. ( I once spent 15 mins trying to light mine with the stop-tap turned off, lol).

When you get the flame to light, keep holding it in until the thermo-coupler has warmed up (approx 30-60 seconds) and then let go, the flame should stay lit and the fridge should work.

Some won't stay lit if they are not completely level, which I think is crap, but there are a few. Try to get as level as poss before you try.

If it won't stay lit, you can buy and fit a new thermo-coupler as that's usually the fault. Just hoping that's not the case with mine, as the pilot light won't stay lit. Another cause can be a bit of muck around the back, very easily blocked and then won't let the gas through. Going to try undoing the outside vent and hoovering, see if that's the case with mine.

If you've checked all those, but never run it on gas before (but it might work on electric) take it out, turn it upside-down, leave for 30 mins, turn the right way up, leave for another 30mins, then it should go.

Good luck!

Comment

I seem to remember from my Romahome days that some of the Hylo's had problems with the gas knob.

Mine was one of these - it just wouldn't light - a knowledgable Hylo owner told me that some fibreglass cooker fronts were preventing the knob being pushed right in to switch on the gas for lighting.

The fix? Simplez - pull off the knob and put something like a small nut in the knob shaft hole, and replace the knob - this has the effect of bringing the flange of the knob forward to miss the fibreglass surround, and the gas to be switched on.

Mike

Comment

JayJay - I can't even get a spark, let alone keep it lit! I think I'll try the turning it upside down trick

Yamaha, do you mean the knob with numbers and a flame on it or the one that you press thousands of times until your thumb turns black?

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X