Leisure battery and Fridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leisure battery and Fridge

We used the romahome to travel out for the day from the campsite and parked up in a carpark for four hours. Please can you tell me if you can keep the fridge running on the leisure battery whilst it is stationery? We do have the fridge on whilst travelling (yellow button on dash) then change over to EHU. We do have gas as an alternative to keep the fridge cool (not that we have tried it yet) But I would prefer to use the leisure battery if it is possible, My other half said it would run the car battery down quite quickly. My argument is....Well, what's the leisure battery for then? but I would like to know how it is meant to be used. If you understand what I mean

I look forward to the answers
    Jessie

Hi Jessie

My understanding is (and someone may correct me) the fridge will not run from the leisure battery when parked up and if it did your hubby is right it would drain the battery.

The fridge will keep cold while you are driving but when stopped you will either need to use the gas if its a hot day or do as we do and just leave the door closed and it stays cold anyway.

The leisure battery is for your lights etc. when not on electric hook up. Hope that helps.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Is it right that when using the leisure battery it is draining the car battery? It doesn't make sense to me. If the car battery has charged the leisure battery, then surely making use of it the leisure battery will drain then just die on you, so then you will need to go for a drive to top the leisure battery up!!
      I have just seen on another post a suggestion to use gas for the fridge!
      Jessie

Comment

Fridge does NOT run from the leisure battery, it runs from the vehicle battery when the ignition is on. The alternator charges both batteries when the engine is running. The vehicle battery does not charge the leisure battery. When on EHU the built in charger charges the leisure battery but not the vehicle battery.

When on site we have a couple of freezer blocks in the freezer compartment and when we go off site for a few hours we put them in the main part of the fridge.

If we are parked up for a long time we run the fridge from gas as it uses very little. In fact we rarely have a EHU. These fridges are much more efficient on gas than on electricity

Comment

Thank you for your replies. It makes sense now. It was only me that makes it complicated
          Jessie

Comment

I don't bother with 12v even when travelling. A few freezer blocks bring down the temp, and will keep things cool until you get where you're going.

I always used freezer blocks to cool down the fridge before setting off anyway as I believe the 12v system takes approx 60-100 miles to cool from ambient temperature, so best to cool down the fridge before you set off anyway.

If I was going away for a while, I would freeze sausages, milk, etc that I intended using in the next few days, and use those as freezer blocks too!

That's all I would do for a day out - just use the fridge as a coolbox.

Comment

jayjay, Yes I do the same when we are actually setting off on our hols. I freeze what is freezable and put in fridge. It is just that when we have set up camp and we need to unhook and go off for the day I thought the fridge would/could run off the leisure battery whilst parked up somewhere for a period of time. My thoughts were wrong but I will be using freezer blocks to keep the fridge cold in future if needs be.
              Jessie

Comment

Originally posted by jessiem View Post
                jayjay, Yes I do the same when we are actually setting off on our hols. I freeze what is freezable and put in fridge. It is just that when we have set up camp and we need to unhook and go off for the day I thought the fridge would/could run off the leisure battery whilst parked up somewhere for a period of time. My thoughts were wrong but I will be using freezer blocks to keep the fridge cold in future if needs be.
                I thought the same at first - you're not the only one!

What I used to do if going out for the day was to turn the fridge to the coldest setting overnight/for a couple of hours before turning it off and setting off. Mind you, I got it wrong at first as my fridge was only a 2way, gas or 12v, and when turned to the highest setting on gas it froze everything... so it was a long wait for dinner when I got back to base! LOL!! You will get the hang of it after a while.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                Working...
                X