This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C15 cam belt

When I went for an MoT earlier this year I was told that the C15 needs a new cam belt at 80,000 miles or after 10 years. Broken cam belt = engine write off. Mot involves high revs, so it was a timely reminder. My Hylo is a year 2000, so I am having the cam belt replaced now by a local Citroen independent. £140 plus VAT, which is less than half as quoted by the Citroen dealer here. And somewhat less than the cost of a new engine!!

.... Roger

Hi Roger -- Good plan, I am considering getting my Berlingo checked at least and that's only 6 years and 40K miles. It's OK for Citroen to say 10 years but they don't have to pay for the damage if it breaks. Ant said that he has found one near to failure at 7 years
    Derek Our Berlingo camping car

Comment

Hi.
      The C15 engine was given three different cam belt change intervals, the early model with the 6000 mile service interval had a 45000 mile or 5 yr cam belt change, the XUD engine coded later model was 72000 miles or 6yrs, the last of the C15s had a DW8 engine code which was the 80000 or 8 yrs. My advice would be to ignore all of that and change the belt between 6 and 8 yrs max.
      The Berlingo XUD engine( early 1.9) has a 72000 mile 6yr, the DW8 engine(later 1.9) has an 80000mile 10yr, DW10 engine (2.0hdi) has a 100000 mile 10 yr, the 1.6 hdi has a 150000 mile 10yr interval.
      Forget them all and stick to between 6 and 8 years regardless of miles, that's quite long enough for a rubber band!
      Ant

Comment

We have had a C15 and now have a Berlingo car and an Outlook both with the DW8 engine and I err on the side of caution. The C15 was second hand witha mileage of 40000 (XUD engine) and I changed it straight away. The other 2 we have had from new, the car has just done 100000 and I have changed the cam belt twice. The Outlook is just two and a half years old and is due its 30000 service next week. It is a job within the scope of any competent mechanic, no special tools are needed, just a couple of drills to hold the camwheel and the pump wheel in the right place and a piece of bar to line up the flywheel. All the instructions are in the haynes manual. £140 seems a fair price especially if the idler wheels were changed at the same time

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
        Working...
        X