Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ancient Bedford Rascal Romahome

Hi
    New to this camper van business but just got a 1987 Rascal with an original Island Plastic Luton Romahome minus the demount legs.
    It may be old but it was love at first sight!
    But a previous owner has fitted a fridge (122 Electrolux Gas and 12V) and 2 burner cooker with grill at rear on right hand side (looking in from rear).
    They are a bit past it and I was going to fit new ones and then thought 'Are they safe? Should they be there?'
    Can anyone advise me?
    Having to go off line now but back on tomorrow evening and would welcome any comments.
    Glassman

Hi Glassman

Welcome to the forum, if memory serves me right, the cooker and grill are on the right with the fridge underneath and the sink is on the left with a cupboard underneath.

Hopefully someone will be along soon to confirm this.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
      Hi Glassman

Welcome to the forum, if memory serves me right, the cooker and grill are on the right with the fridge underneath and the sink is on the left with a cupboard underneath.

Hopefully someone will be along soon to confirm this.
      Yep that's the right place for them to be, having had a D reg one myself! Link to picture below, if I did it right! However, the fridge in mine was a later addition, I don't think the really early ones came with fridges. It needs checking, especially if you can move it around. It will need fixing so that it doesn't move in transit, especiallly over speed humps!

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/foru...1&d=1275923451

If you're not confident about checking these out yourself, get a gas engineer to check them for you, but from my experience, they don't come much easier and less complicated than the one you have. Mine didn't use a lot of gas either, and worked really well.

Comment

Originally posted by glassman View Post
        Hi
        New to this camper van business but just got a 1987 Rascal with an original Island Plastic Luton Romahome minus the demount legs.
        It may be old but it was love at first sight!
        But a previous owner has fitted a fridge (122 Electrolux Gas and 12V) and 2 burner cooker with grill at rear on right hand side (looking in from rear).
        They are a bit past it and I was going to fit new ones and then thought 'Are they safe? Should they be there?'
        Can anyone advise me?
        Having to go off line now but back on tomorrow evening and would welcome any comments.
        Glassman
        Hello & welcome.
        I've got a 1985 demountable which has exactly the same - fridge and cooking equipment (an Explorer grill/2 burner) on the right. I think the Explorers were fitted as standard on them, as every photo I've seen has one. I was having problems with mine and replaced it with a mini cooker, but let another member of the forum have it for spares. Between us I think we've decided it was my dodgy regulator, not the appliance, as its working ok for him. My fridge works perfectly, and I whilst I've no way of knowing, as mine van could be several hands old, it possibly came as standard with the van too.
        I suppose what I'm saying is the equipment you've got may still have lots of life left in it yet, and as Jayjay says above, get a qualified calor gas man to check it out for you. Most caravan sales people will have a qualified engineer attached or freelancing for them, or just contact your nearest calor gas dealer who should have a list of qualified people to call on.
        If you do need or want to replace, ebays a good hunting ground, but as I sure you know, bargins on there aren't always what they seem
        Good luck with it all tho

Comment

Hi
          We've got an old demountable also, only had it since February and gradually sorting everything out. I have read the fridge instructions very carefully.

To be safe, there has to be a vent underneath and on top of the fridge to circulate air for cooling. You can see the vent on the front bottom the fridge, and if you look at the back of the stove, you can see big holes that must be all clear for ventilation.

Lighting the fridge has its problems, and instructions for doing this are elsewhere on the Forum. I would advise reading the Dometic operating and installation instructions available online.

My fridge is working now, but not very well. The gas bottle is running low, and someone told me it only works well with full gas bottle, so I will try that next. The exterior vent is clear, but there is a rubber flap on the end of the pipe just behind the vent cover. I need to know if this is right.

I am hoping to find out more at one of the Romahome Club meets, where I hope there will be other old demountables.

Keep me informed how you're doing with your Bedford Rascal, maybe we can learn together.

Patricia

Comment

Hi Glassman and welcome.
            This is the place to get answers, but Patriscott is right about the best places to see other vans and talk to their Owners are the Roma Club rallies. The big one coming up in September is at the birthplace of your van, the Isle of Wight. I understand over 60 vans will be there so there will be many similar to yours , I have no doubt. To look at this and other Rallies go to:
            http://romaclub.org.uk/
            Look forward to seeing you
            Colin

Comment

Originally posted by patriscott View Post

My fridge is working now, but not very well. The gas bottle is running low, and someone told me it only works well with full gas bottle, so I will try that next. The exterior vent is clear, but there is a rubber flap on the end of the pipe just behind the vent cover. I need to know if this is right.

Patricia
              If the gas bottle is running really low, then the pressure is down and it does tend to work better with a bit of pressure. Also check your regulator, if it looks old and worn and your fridge still doesn't work properly, then it might need changing. If your cooker is ok though, then it won't be that, unless it's on a different feed with a separate gas pipe.

Try hoovering very gently around the front and sides as far as you can reach in, take off the outside vent and shove a hoover tube attachment down there as well, it could simply be dust and cobwebs... fridges tend to attract spiders as they are warm and dry areas. That worked for me.

I can't see a rubber flap on the end of the pipe behind the vent cover being right! The pipe is the exhaust, and if obstructed is not venting as it should be. Does it seem to be 'part of the furniture' or does it look home-made? Does it say anything about it in the manual? I can't remember now from when I had my Beford Roma.

Either way, I'd get it checked out/check myself before lighting the fridge and leaving on overnight!

Comment

Originally posted by patriscott View Post
                Hi
                The exterior vent is clear, but there is a rubber flap on the end of the pipe just behind the vent cover. I need to know if this is right.

Patricia

Sorry to butt in, but I'm led to believe that the rubber flap is correct. My caravan man had my fridge out a few weeks ago when he was fitting my replacement cooker, and told me that the flaps are correct and that the manufacturers started off using rubber ones, then changed to a gauze one. They flap about under the exterior cover when fumes / gas etc. are being released. Mine certainly has one - I like looking over contractor's shoulders to learn what I can about my equipment

However, if you are worried about it, email [email protected] who produce the fridges and they will be able to advise. Alison
                Last edited by bluenote47; 03-08-2010, 17:46.

Comment

Phew! That's ok then. Perhaps the flap was missing on mine!

Had another thought re: fridge not working very well. If you're trying to cool the fridge down from room temp, it may seem at first that it isn't working very well, as it has a long way to go before it reaches a temp. where it feels cold to the touch. And you will probably wait forever for the 12v to cool it down if you're not moving. Leave it on full for at least 15-30 mins and then see if it''s cooler. Mine has a bar at the top, which starts to ice very quickly, although the rest of the fridge takes at least half an hour. Also some fridges seem to need to be pretty level to operate properly so that's something to check as well.

I usually cool mine down with ice blocks before going away, pack them in with the food and a lot of frozen food as well to keep it all cool on the journey.
                  Last edited by jayjay; 03-08-2010, 18:59.

Comment

Good evening all
                    And thanks for all the comments and advice. I'm actually glad to see I'm not the only one with concerns and queries.
                    Please note JayJay that your photo replicates my set up exactly so I assume the cooker was a standard fit. Trouble is that when the grill is on the flames come up out of centre gap about 2 inches up ! Very disconcerting!
                    The fridge was a right off as it was actually broken in a few places and the flu pipe was taped together so trying to source another. Will just need to provide the correct ventilation around it.
                    Think contacting an engineer is the best way to go.

Sorry but the IoW rally is while I am actually on holiday elsewhere and already booked and my lttle camper won't be really fit until next spring. I will keep up to date with Rally venues.
                    Cheers
                    Glassman

Comment

Please note JayJay that your photo replicates my set up exactly so I assume the cooker was a standard fit. Trouble is that when the grill is on the flames come up out of centre gap about 2 inches up ! Very disconcerting!

Glassman
                      Same problem I had with mine, but (I'm not bragging here) much bigger flames

Comment

Good evening all
                        And thanks for all the comments and advice. I'm actually glad to see I'm not the only one with concerns and queries.
                        Please note JayJay that your photo replicates my set up exactly so I assume the cooker was a standard fit. Trouble is that when the grill is on the flames come up out of centre gap about 2 inches up ! Very disconcerting!Cheers
                        Glassman

Happened with mine once. Make sure that you're not very low on gas as that was the only thing wrong with mine and it was ok once I'd connected up a full 'un.

I bought a second-hand fridge from a chap down south somewhere, his email is [email protected], and he is a refrigorator engineer. I got a corker from him for £80. Tell him Jacki from Cheshire sent you!

This can be done in a day you know, so maybe you'll be able to get away before winter creeps up, you never know!

Please note JayJay that your photo replicates my set up exactly If so, is the Reg no D...MAF? If so it was mine, but I accept no responsibility for what has happened to it since I sold it... it certainly wasn't in that state when I sold it over a year ago! LOL!!
                        Last edited by jayjay; 03-08-2010, 20:25.

Comment

Hi JayJay
                          Thanks I will try the man.
                          I'd fitted a new gas bottle but you could be on the right track because I also found that the hoses and regulator were dated 1997 - somewhat out of 'use by date'!
                          Won't change cooker or have it checked until I have fitted new hoses and regulator.
                          Going off now as have early work start tomorrow.
                          Glassman

Comment

[I]Is the Reg D....MAF . No its an E Reg and any rate its still in better shape than some of the caravans I bought! And we love it warts and all!

Comment

oo good, glad it isn't mine, I'd hate to think it had fallen apart from misuse, I loved and cherished it! And had it serviced at both ends before I sold it!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X