High Water Pressure.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Water Pressure.

Evening all, can anyone give me advice on my very high water pressure problem (1.9 1997 Duo)? Got home the other day to find coolent sprayed around the engine bay. Ok, we had been parked on the M4 on a fairly hot day so I thought that maybe the rad cap needed replacing. That's done but the problem is still there.
    It doesn't seem to over heat when running but if not driven for a week I still get a fountain when removing the rad cap! Started it this evening with the cap off & within a minute I had froth coming out of the res'r tank.
    The only other thing I can think of is the thermostat so I'll get one tomorrow.

Any other ideas??

Please

Off to Scotland on Friday hopefully

Thanks, Derwen

Get the cooling system checked by a garage that can test for exhaust gases in the fluid, it sounds like the start of a cylinder head gasket problem

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
      Get the cooling system checked by a garage that can test for exhaust gases in the fluid, it sounds like the start of a cylinder head gasket problem
      As a retired Motor Engineer, I would say that is a sound and most likely diagnosis, unless it is accompanied by high temperature, which could be symptomatic of a "head boil" caused by poor water circulation resulting from a blockage or slipping fan belt etc.
      A faulty rad. cap would not cause your problem except at very high altitude (up a high mountain).
      Jim.
      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Had the same problem, overheating on journeys. I had the thermostat changed and that sorted it for a while... then the next thing in the line went - the breather pipes were perished, so when the thermo and cap were sorted, they were the next thing! There were a few tiny holes which, under pressure, blew all the water out! As soon as they were fixed, everything was ok.

Not sure what type of engine the Duo's have, but mine was a petrol Bedford Rascal. Occasionally she would start to overheat, (after all the above had been fixed) and I eventually found out it was just a bit of air in the system, usually from going over speed humps - and a squeeze on the breather pipes with the rad cap off sorted out the problem.

Comment

Thanks very much for your help, anyone who knows about cars at work thinks it's the head gasket as well.

So much for this holiday!

Right, now where's that number for Thomas Cook

Comment

Provided that you have caught it in time and the cylinder head is not damaged it should not be a big job for a competent garage. Make sure that you get the cam belt changed at the same because it has to be disturbed when removing the cylinder head.

Good luck

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
              Provided that you have caught it in time and the cylinder head is not damaged it should not be a big job for a competent garage. Make sure that you get the cam belt changed at the same because it has to be disturbed when removing the cylinder head.

Good luck

Peter
              Good advice about the cam belt. Replacing one as a separate job costs a lot more than a new belt.
              Jim.

Comment

One extra thought.

If the garage that you use is not used to working on Citroen/Peugeot engines make sure that they know to fit new cylinder head bolts because they are tightened using an angle torque wrench that measures the stretch in the bolt or as Citroen call it longitudinal torque (or some such thing)

The new belt and bolts are a minor cost compared with the cost of repairing any damage in the future through trying to save a bob or two.

Peter

Comment

Thanks again, I was going to have the belt changed as well even though it was only done about 8k miles ago. The garage did say that they'd need new bolts (so that's good).
                  Well it's in the garage now for a test, then work starting tomorrow. Hopefully we'll pick it up on Thursday so we'll still get a week odd of holiday ..
                  When we bought it we were told of a fixed water problem & we have the reciepts. I think this may have started as a result of that but with our long journeys it's come to ahead.

Anyway, fingers crossed & as I'm working most of this week now, I can have a week off in October

Comment

That "fixed water problem" worries me. I am not sure what a Duo is based on.
                    If it has a 1.9 Peugeot indirect injection diesel engine you may be suffering a re-curring problem which afflicted some/many of those engines.
                    I have operated Private Hire Cars with those engines. Some never suffered water problems, some others could never be reliably cured even with planed heads and blocks. One did over 270,000 miles with nothing other than normal servicing. Others needed head gasket attention every 10-20,000miles.
                    I liked the Peugeots and as I did not buy them new I soon learned to walk away from a purchase if the seller said "it's just had a new head gasket". I also would never buy a car which had no antifreeze in. The surmise being that it had to be topped up with water regularly.
                    I am not trying to be a "Job's comforter". But if it is that type of engine and the last head gasket was fitted not many thousands of miles ago it might be time to consider another vehicle.
                    Sorry for submitting a post like this, but if I have hit the nail on the head, please take it as caution with good intentions.
                    Jim.

Comment

1997 year 1.9 will be an XUD, looked after run forever. We have a 2000 Berlingto Multispace and a 2007 Duo both with the engine that replaced the XUD, the DW8.

People often ask why we bought a DW8 and not an HDI and the answer is that I was trained to do my own repairs and maintenance by my father who worked as an engineer. The DW8 is basic just an updated XUD, looked after they go forever, our car is well over the 100000 mark and it uses no oil between changes, although I change the oil and filter every 5000 miles or 6 months whichever is soonest.

I have been warned (although I don't know the truth of it) that high mileage HDIs require expensive maintenance. They are certainly more difficult to work on

Comment

Thanks for both your comments again. The engine is a XUD9, I thought it was a direct injection but looking at the web it looks like an indirect injection jobbie.

The problem I was told about (before buying) was a leak in a joint near the Hydronic unit, new joint & hoses have been fitted in this area (no new head gasket... um, maybe the joint cracked due to high pressure...). I'm wondering if when this leak happened the car ran hot & that started this later problem. It only has 28k on the clock with full service history & it's been looked after.

My car before this one was my hobby & I knew everything about it, I think I'm going to have to invest the same amount of time & effort learning about this one At least this one hasn't cost so much (so far )..

Derwen

Comment

A bit late but due to holiday, work & weekend trip I can now give you the latest (for anyone interested ).

Picked up the van late on Friday & drove to Scotland (from Swindon) on Saturday. Drove home on the following Friday night & clocked up 1630 miles in that week. The only problem we had was a slight leak from the boiler. Took that out on the Monday Bank Hols & brought it into work & brazed it up. Now all we need is a new carpet (looking this week) & she'll be as good as new .

She's also taken 3 of us "lads" to the Lake District the weekend just gone & did a fine job. 5 hours sleeping on the floor for the 16 year old

Does anyone know what adhesive I can use to stick a little bit of the wall covering back down? I'll ask in technical as well (edit - doh, already here)!

That's about it for now, sorry if I've bored anyone ..

Derwen
                          (Still a very happy owner of a Duo)
                          Last edited by Derwen; 07-09-2010, 11:02. Reason: Already in Technical!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X