Eberspacher again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eberspacher again

I had the usual problem of apparently not enough battery oomph to start the Eberspacher water/space diesel heater in my Outlook. Lots of helpful advice on this forum, which was much appreciated.

OK - new starter battery, plus upgraded to a new 100ah leisure battery, and I'm still having to start the vehicle engine in order to get the Eberspacher heater to start. The only time it will fire up on its own is just after a decent length journey and there's almost 14v showing on the Zig unit. That's when the van is pretty warm anyway so I'm not needing the heater. Come four in the morning or breakfast time, the voltage is 12/13v and I have to .... As a bodge that's fine out in the wilds, but not too good on a campsite. And it's a bodge that surely shouldn't be needed?

So now what? Any ideas most welcome as summer still hasn't reached this part of the world yet! And I really want to get this sorted before the next season kicks in.

Thank you as always, friendly forum friends.
    Grannyvan

My suggestion is to check all possible wiring joints in the feed and the unit itself.
    Needing a source of more than the normal full-charge battery voltage suggests a bad connection somewhere causing a supply voltage drop.
    Of course it could be a problem in the unit. But the above is a common sense starting point.
    JimW.
    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
      My suggestion is to check all possible wiring joints in the feed and the unit itself.
      Needing a source of more than the normal full-charge battery voltage suggests a bad connection somewhere causing a supply voltage drop.
      Of course it could be a problem in the unit. But the above is a common sense starting point.
      JimW.

Thanks Jim,

I'll have a rummage and see what wires I can locate and check.
      From previous threads, I think Ant commented that if the heater will start with the engine running, the problem is battery-related rather than a fault in the heater itself.

Grannvan

Comment

Originally posted by Grannyvan View Post
        Thanks Jim,

I'll have a rummage and see what wires I can locate and check.
        From previous threads, I think Ant commented that if the heater will start with the engine running, the problem is battery-related rather than a fault in the heater itself.

Grannvan
        Check voltage at heater not Zig as you try to fire up, The No of bits of kit I find in cars,vans, that have under rated wire is beyond belief.
        Joints are a source of problems as well, plugs come a close 3rd.
        A heavier wire is better than a light one, check the return wire (earth\ground) for good connection, make good ground for 1 probe of meter then try starting with the other probe on the ground of the unit if you show any voltage on meter you have ground fault, this is the same test as battery ground cable, find make a good ground other than the other end of the wire you are testing.
        Handy Site
        http://www.letonkinoisvarnish.uk/Ebe...Voltage_1.html

http://www.letonkinoisvarnish.uk/ebe..._faults_2.html
        Last edited by 300300; 21-06-2015, 15:23.

Comment

If your on a campsite and paying for EHU, perhaps you could take a little electric oil-filled radiator along with you. I know this doesn't answer the problem of having a built in heater, but it's useful to have around anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Grannyvan View Post
            I had the usual problem of apparently not enough battery oomph to start the Eberspacher water/space diesel heater in my Outlook. Lots of helpful advice on this forum, which was much appreciated.

OK - new starter battery, plus upgraded to a new 100ah leisure battery, and I'm still having to start the vehicle engine in order to get the Eberspacher heater to start. The only time it will fire up on its own is just after a decent length journey and there's almost 14v showing on the Zig unit. That's when the van is pretty warm anyway so I'm not needing the heater. Come four in the morning or breakfast time, the voltage is 12/13v and I have to .... As a bodge that's fine out in the wilds, but not too good on a campsite. And it's a bodge that surely shouldn't be needed?

So now what? Any ideas most welcome as summer still hasn't reached this part of the world yet! And I really want to get this sorted before the next season kicks in.

Thank you as always, friendly forum friends.
            Grannyvan
            Once again, I strongly suggest you phone Ant at Avon motor caravans, because Eberspacher heaters have a nasty trick built in, if the heater fails to fire up 3 times in a row it will shut down, ... and cannot be restarted by you! Contact Ant, I may be wrong but I think not! It costs a fortune to reset them. I only ever used mine when on EHU as they use a lot of power to fire up and most leisure batteries are not up to it, unless you have a mighty big one !

Goodluck

Ian
            Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment