Adding Mains Electric hook-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding Mains Electric hook-up

I want to put a mains electric hook-up into my 1980s Romahome Demountable so we can get away in Winter, and run a heater via the hook up. I want to keep it as simple as possible.

I want to take Graham's advice and get a tiny oil-filled radiator type heater.

I plan to get a 10 metre 16 amp 3-pin electric lead. Am I right in thinking that the socket that attaches to the outside of the van is a 3-pin female socket or a surface mounting inlet socket?

Then I wish to fit a double socket in the van, probably in the recess where the fridge used to go. Our mechanic said he would fit the cable direct to the double socket. We will plug our RCD into the socket first and plug the heater into the RCD.

Does that sound right? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated before I sort it out.

Patricia

Mains hook up

Ah ah, I see not a lot goes on in the Technical Discussion thread! I obviously should have put my query on The Lounge thread!

Anyway, I have bought the "female" connection with a snap down cover on it to fit on the van ready for the mains lead. I hope that's the right one.

The van sailed through its MOT and we should have hook up by Friday to get away this week-end. Can anyone suggest where to go?

Patricia

Comment

Better to have the RCD built into the socket then no one can accidentally connect up without being protected.

Whoever connects the inlet on the outside to the socket should be aware that you do not use domestic cable as it is single strand and can break with the vibration of travelling down the road. The easiest option is to pinch a bit of your hookup lead as it is the correct specification.

Comment

Hook up

Thanks Peter

We have followed your advice.

Patricia

Comment

Actually the plug on the van is male like this

As Peter says, use a socket with built in RCD

You may find a 10 metre lead short on some sites, you frequently need to go through an adjacent pitch to get to the hookup post, a 25 metre lead is standard.
          Derek Our Berlingo camping car

Comment

Hook up

Oh dear! We have been given the wrong information by the local caravan accessories shop who said we needed a female.

Thanks for letting me know Derek. The photos really helped and I can sort it out tomorrow. It would have been awful to get to a site and then find out it was the wrong socket.

I think I've got all the relevant information now.

Patricia

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
            Working...
            X