C15 brake discs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C15 brake discs

I was given an 'advisory' at the last MoT because of rust on the front brake discs. I have therefore bought a new pair, and new pads, and am open to do's, don'ts, and advice generally for when I get round to fitting them.

I have changed pads before and imagine it will be a straightforward job. Am I right in thinking that, having removed pads and caliper, the disc knocks off outwards without disturbing the stub axle and bearings?

[discs obtained from aepdirect http://www.aepdirect.com/ ; pads from my local GSF; both highly recommended]

unbolt 2 allen bolts on each caliper.

lift caliper away

discs have 2 crosshead screws holding them in place, you may need an impact driver for them as they could be very tight.

Remove old disc, refit screws, but not 100% necessary.

The piston in the caliper needs to be pushed back to the back of the caliper. this can be done with a G clamp but check oil reservoir doesn't overflow.

fit new pads, and set springs in possition.

I usualy clean the whole assembly brake assembly first with soapy water first.

Comment

Roger.
      The disc is held on to the hub with some small screws ( they are often missing so don't panic if you can't find them), and don't forget to clean the packing oil off the new discs before fitting them, otherwise I think you've got the idea.
      Ant

Comment

It would be helpful to check that there is no surface rust on the hub where the disc sits, a friend of mine once forgot to do that on his metro, he tightened up the screw that held the disc on, refitted everything, went for a drive. He thought that the brakes weren't right. He took the wheel off to find that the new disc had cracked all the way round.

Comment

Thanks. Much appreciated. I shall probably wait until the temperature creeps above freezing before doing the job .

May Christmas and 2011 bring everyone on the forum a jolly time and everything they wish for themselves, especially Pauline, Graham, and Ant. .

Comment

I have just got round to replacing the discs and pads. There was no need to disturb the caliper on mine (2000). A really easy job.
            Last edited by aggsnrog; 23-03-2011, 21:14.

Comment

Ians way of fitting new brakes (done 1 month ago).
              Drive to trusted garage,hand over keys,catch a bus from opposite said garage and go to work.Leave work a little early,catch bus to garage.
              hand over piece of plastic,recieve keys to Romahome,drive home happy in knowledge that brakes are tip top.
              Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                Ians way of fitting new brakes (done 1 month ago).
                Drive to trusted garage,hand over keys,catch a bus from opposite said garage and go to work.Leave work a little early,catch bus to garage.
                hand over piece of plastic,recieve keys to Romahome,drive home happy in knowledge that brakes are tip top.
                Same here Ian! Although I would love to be able to do more on my car, just gone in for a service and some sill welding, so.... plastic about to come in handy!

Comment

Technical discussion? Sarcasm, I would say.
                  Last edited by aggsnrog; 23-03-2011, 21:17.

Comment

Originally posted by aggsnrog View Post
                    Technical discussion? I really enjoyed doing it, Ian, and enjoy posting to help others who want, or need, to carry out their own maintenance. You would not understand.
                    too true chum! I am a biologist,I deal in meat not metal, see you at the barbie!
                    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                      too true chum! I am a biologist,I deal in meat not metal, see you at the barbie!
                      Have to agree Ian, mines medium rare.......
                      Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
                      'Live without regrets'

Comment

Originally posted by aggsnrog View Post
                        Technical discussion? I really enjoyed doing it, Ian, and enjoy posting to help others who want, or need, to carry out their own maintenance. You would not understand.
                        Roger, I don't think Ian (or myself) were criticising when we joined in the conversation. If you did, my apologies! I think both of us were rather more drawing attention to the fact that we can't do these things and wish we could! I'm rather envious of someone who can do things on vehicles for themselves! My car has just cost £177-odd for a service and a small amount of welding, if I could do it myself, I would! And would really appreciate the extra technical help that a thread like this has to offer I had a haynes manual for my small demountable roma, but even with pictures and step by step instructions, I couldn't even change the fan belt!
                        Last edited by jayjay; 23-03-2011, 16:05.

Comment

Hi Roger

When I get my brakes done I am afraid I do Ian's version but please don't stop giving us these handy tips there are lots of folk who (unlike me) are technically and mechanically minded and I am sure your post will help them.

Thanks for sharing.
                          Graham
                          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Safety hint!
                            Don't forget to work the brake pedal before you try to drive it!
                            The first pump or two will take up the free play and adjust the brakes for use.
                            Forget, and you could be in real trouble the first time you try to apply the brakes on the move!
                            Jim.
                            Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Regards to Graham and Jayjay. Thanks to Jim. B****** to Ian. I have edited my posts in what was supposed to be a sensible thread. I shall not bother again.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X