car radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

car radio

Has anyone changed their radio to run off the battery that sits under the passenger seat, to enable it to stay on instead of cutting out after half an hour and then having to restart the engine to turn it on again.

You do not need to change it to run off the leisure battery. There have been numerous postings on forums like Motorhomefacts on how to change the connections so that it runs from the vehicle battery but without using the ignition switch. (The instructions are for Fiats but it is the same principle)

Comment

On a similar note - has anyone changed the radio itself? My new R20 has a Clarion (can't remember the model no.) which has no display but displays the radio station on the screen above the dash - I assume this is just standard RDS. Also it has stalk controls on the steering column (this came as a complete surprise).

My thoughts were to put in a radio with USB, line-in and bluetooth so I can access music (or more importantly audiobooks and recorded radio programs) from my phone, mp3 player or USB stick. I plan to add rear speakers; then I can use a remote control and listen comfortably in the back without having to wire a separate audio system.

I need to do some research as to what radios are compatible with the Clarion, especially in order to keep the display and stalk controls.

Anyone been there before me?

Brian
      She wants to be flowers, but you make her owls. You must not complain, then, if she goes hunting.

Comment

The problem is the curved front and ours only had a tape player and not a CD.

I solved the problem by fitting one of these

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.ph...&cat=12&page=1

It connects to the CD changer connection on the back of the radio. I had to pay the Citroen agent to configure the port on the radio. It works using the steering column controls and the display on top of the dash.

If you want more details please ask

Comment

Originally posted by g0ukb View Post
          On a similar note - has anyone changed the radio itself? My new R20 has a Clarion (can't remember the model no.) which has no display but displays the radio station on the screen above the dash - I assume this is just standard RDS. Also it has stalk controls on the steering column (this came as a complete surprise).

My thoughts were to put in a radio with USB, line-in and bluetooth so I can access music (or more importantly audiobooks and recorded radio programs) from my phone, mp3 player or USB stick. I plan to add rear speakers; then I can use a remote control and listen comfortably in the back without having to wire a separate audio system.

I need to do some research as to what radios are compatible with the Clarion, especially in order to keep the display and stalk controls.

Anyone been there before me?

Brian

I was fed up with the poor radio reception when driving so have just ordered an ipod / radio adaptor for my Dimension. It just plugs into your cigarette lighter, you tune it and the radio to the same FM channel and then listen to your ipod etc. using the radio controls.

It is still in transit so can't comment on how good it is but only cost about £20 from Amazon so thought it was worth a try.

Theresa

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
            I was fed up with the poor radio reception when driving so have just ordered an ipod / radio adaptor for my Dimension. It just plugs into your cigarette lighter, you tune it and the radio to the same FM channel and then listen to your ipod etc. using the radio controls.

It is still in transit so can't comment on how good it is but only cost about £20 from Amazon so thought it was worth a try.

Theresa
            We had one of those and it was really good and you get to listen to your own music while travelling.

That was until I left my ipod on a train to Edinburgh.
            Graham
            Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

We tried an FM transmitter connected to a CD/MP3 player but found that on long journeys we had to keep retuning the radio because of interference from what appeared to be unlicenced transmitters.

The device that I mentioned above works like a CD changer. On an SD card or a usb stick you set up 6 folders and each one can hold up to 99 files. There is also an audio input.

Comment

I'm quite keen to get as good an audio fidelity as possible so wasn't sure whether the RF adapters would be good enough (I probably even have one somewhere kicking around).

Peter's solution is good and similar to what we had a few year's ago in my Toyota Corolla - in fact, I was lucky enough to be asked to beta-test the Toyota one so got it gratis!!

The only downside is that it doesn't support remote control so changing volume control etc will mean clambering into the cab. Ideally I'd like to junk the existing radio and replace it with a new all singing/dancing model with remote control.

Failing that plan B will be to put one of the excellent little class D amps in the back with some tiny bookshelf speakers and use a computer/mp3 player/phone as a separate source when listening in the lounge.

It's amazing that car radios are so behind the time. I suppose the plus-side is that it must be one of the factors which may help avoid the dreaded FM radio shut off in 2015 when the government try to foist DAB (with its significantly inferior audio quality) upon us all.

Brian
                She wants to be flowers, but you make her owls. You must not complain, then, if she goes hunting.

Comment

Hey Brian - I'm really keen to get my audio sorted to be as good as possible in my Duo. As a complete (and literal) girl I have no idea where to start.. but on the plus side I love driving so even if I have to get to the Highlands of Scotland or North Wales if you find someone that can get this all sorted let me know!!

I wouldn't be without my garish pink wind-up radio (Archers omnibus on campsite Sunday morning = fab) but sometimes (particularly if I've got a friend in the back) I'd really like to have an easy way of playing from ipod / computer.

Thanks!

Heidi

Comment

Heidi -if I don't sort out some solution using the radio in the cab I too will use my computer (netbook) or Android phone.

I plan to use one of these amplifiers

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-15W-TA2024C-...item5191f4b145

and a couple of small speakers. The little amplifiers are absolutely fantastic and are being compared by serious hifi magazines to amplifiers of around £600+ !!! They run off 12v so I'm assuming I'll have no problem on using the van's leisure battery.

The amp will need a simple cable to go from the audio out of my computer (or headphones socket on my phone) and then some speaker wire to go to the speakers. Finding some good tiny speakers at a decent price might be a challenge though.

I take my music seriously (within my limited budget) - I lost hearing in one ear some years ago and decided life is too short for poor quality sound so the amp with reasonable speakers is perhaps a little over the top. A much simple solution would just be to buy some small computer speakers - you could either get ones that are powered by 12v or ones that are USB powered and buy a small plug that will fit into the Roma's 12v cigarette lighter and give you a USB power socket such as

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IPhone-3G-3GS-...#ht_3484wt_907

You can get similar ones with two or 3 USB power sockets etc so you can power your iphone at the same time.

Then all you need is a simple lead from your computer lineout or iphone headphones or if you just want the iphone as a music source you could use iphone dock speakers.

Brian

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X