Condensation... ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Condensation... ?

I have just been in my demountable and found I have damp seat cushions.. I am guessing this is condensation from the windows as I haven't noticed any leaks ..Can anyone give me a few hints on how to deal with it?
    Also I keep getting a small puddle in the bottom of my wardrobe area...this seems to be condensation too . should I drill a small hole to drain this? all help and hints gratefully received .. Sonya
    I make occasional visits to reality, but I'm not a full time resident
    http://minimouseandmilos.blogspot.com

HI MM! I used to get condensation from the windows in my demountable as well. Over winter if not using I moved the seat cushions to the middle of the van, (or into the house behind the settees!) and put a few bowls of salt around, which helped a lot.

During use, I still got the condensation, used to wipe with a glass cloth every morning some weeks.

Just getting a nice day and opening all doors, windows, etc seems to help as well. Mine got a lot better when I took out the funny little windows between van and head of the Roma. It got more air in, and the dog liked it loads better as she wasn't isolated from me - she was in the roma and I was driving in the cab.

The silver screens will help, but they are very expensive.

Not sure about the puddle in the wardrobe area - is your sink there - could it be a small leak from that? Do you have a fridge on that side, if used over a weekend say, you will notice a few drips when its turned off.

The best way to dry out completely is to hitch up to EHU, put a heater in there, leave all the doors and windows open so that the damp can get out.

Comment

Thanks Jay Jay,
      will try the salt for now, also saw elsewhere that lining the wardrobe with carpet or bubble wrap may help... will try anything once.

Comment

Originally posted by Minimouse View Post
        Thanks Jay Jay,
        will try the salt for now, also saw elsewhere that lining the wardrobe with carpet or bubble wrap may help... will try anything once.
        When the salt gets damp, just put it on a radiator in the house to dry out, then you can use it again. It will take a lot of the damp out.

Not sure about lining the wardrobe. I would find out where that puddle is coming from and whether its definately condensation before I started lining it.

Before I found out the windows were condensating, I found damp lockers underneath the seats, so check there as well... it used to run down one side of the window, behind the backs then under the seats, ended up soaking a locker top. However, that was definately a leaky window, soon cured with see thru sealer around the outside edge.

let me know how you get on!

Comment

I thought about using bubble wrap too as could start popping it if I got bored..

Thanks for your help Jay Jay and I will let you know how I go

Sonya

Comment

Hi MM, sorry for short reply but here goes.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs...t%3EINSULATION

Thermowrap @ £12 from Homebase.

Cut this about an 2" (50mm) bigger than your windows then poke it in place, a few snips (in the thermowrap) so that any catches poke through. Push against the window leaving no air space if possible.

This certainly in our experience, stopped all condensation from the windows. Not sure about the wardrobe though.

Hope this helps.
            Derwen

Comment

Originally posted by Derwen View Post
              Hi MM, sorry for short reply but here goes.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs...t%3EINSULATION

Thermowrap @ £12 from Homebase.

Cut this about an 2" (50mm) bigger than your windows then poke it in place, a few snips (in the thermowrap) so that any catches poke through. Push against the window leaving no air space if possible.

This certainly in our experience, stopped all condensation from the windows. Not sure about the wardrobe though.

Hope this helps.
              Derwen
              I got some car window covers made out of this stuff. They had little suckers to stick to the window, but you could always use stick-on velcro, if you didn't mind having a little square stuck to each edge of your window, and corresponding velcro on the edges of the wrap.

The car window covers did help at night and reduce the condensation in the morning a lot, but I still had to wipe the windows over first thing, before it started dripping downwards onto the seats.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
              Working...
              X