Are fire extinguishers compulsory ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are fire extinguishers compulsory ?

In our newly acquired Romahome there is an empty bracket screwed and stuck to the van wall near the sink. It looks like it might have originally had a small fire extinguisher in it. I have managed to roll my fire blanket and it fits into the bracket very nicely and is handily near the stove, sooooooooooooooooo..............

Behind my passenger seat (which does not move forward - it just folds for access to the leisure battery) is a much larger fire extinguisher fixed in a bracket.

This is blocking what could be a useful storage area. I have found a plastic box which fits neatly the other side and would have like to match it behind my seat and they would make excellent food storage areas.

My theory is that in the case of a fire it is more than likely to be at the cooker end and in that case I would have to dash to the front of the van, fiddle with tipping the passenger seat forward before I could access the necessary extinguisher, by which time my exit via the rear door may well be blocked by flames.

Bearing in mind the impracticality of the positioning of this extinguisher I just wondered if it was in there because by law it has to be.

Does anyone know the law on this please

As far as I know there is no law (despite Brexit) but your
    insurance company can request you carry one,
    Mine did - and also a Fire Blanket.
    The CC will request that you also (despite Brexit) have
    a RED bucket full of sand or water?

Bernard.
    A barrel organs life is one long grind?

Comment

Originally posted by Organ Grinder View Post
      The CC will request that you also (despite Brexit) have
      a RED bucket full of sand or water?

Bernard.
      I think that's just a suggestion but a very good idea having heard stories of tent and van fires where nearby fire buckets have helped put out the fires and even saved lives.

If you think about it if there was a fire on a campsite, particularly a small one with no fire extinguisher boxes, it would take a long time for people to dash to a tap and fill buckets (if they had buckets that is) the fire would be raging by then, but grabbing a ready filled bucket and throwing it on a fire could maybe save a life.

I bought a cheap red bucket and now fill it with water when we arrive on site. It even has a duck in it to make it more fun

Comment

The Caravan Club has a page on their site regarding fire safety:

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/advice...ginners/fires/

I haven't got a fire extinguisher in my Outlook - the Caravan Club only suggest a bucket of sand or water if you're using an awning and/or barbecue:

"With awnings or tents around, particularly in barbecue season, it is wise to keep a full bucket of water handy outside the caravan/awning for emergencies."

I've never seen or been asked to place a bucket of sand/water outside my 'van on a CC site.

Regarding fire extinguishers, the CC advise:

"The extinguisher should be located in a dedicated bracket near the door but not too close to cooking appliances, where flames could make it unreachable."

As both cooker and door are at the rear of the 'van, placing the fire extinguisher further inside the van wouldn't be advisable in my opinion.

I think the main advice if a fire broke out in a vehicle the size of a Romahome would be to get out sharpish!

John
        Last edited by JohnL; 15-01-2017, 10:07.

Comment

For years we have had a water filled bucket outside the door and have in fact seen a tent go up in flames when abroad.

Would you believe somebody had left a lighted candle near the tent curtains. It went up like a rocket. Very scary. Nobody was hurt but the speed of it shook quite a few of us up.

Comment

I don't think it's law but I feel happier knowing I've just fitted one along with a fire blanket. Good idea about a bucket of water just outside the van too, so something else I'll be doing.
            "Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time"

Comment

Thanks - this thread has made me think. We do have both a fire extinguisher and a fire blanket - both jammed in the R20's pelmet, as close to the back door as possible. A dedicated bracket might make more sense - something to look into. Anyway I think my fire extinguisher went out of date aed 2016 - normally I have no worry about out of date stuff but I suppose I ought replace the extinguisher.

What to do with the old one - I suspect few of us have fired off a fire extinguisher so I thought I might go to some waste ground and just go through the motion of letting off the extinguisher as if there were a fire - at least that way I get used to it and so in an emergency am familiar with what to do.

Our folding bucket developed a leak so we don't carry one any more. Just poked round and there are plenty of cheap folding buckets but the better ones are either not red or are expensive :-( Will keep looking.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnL View Post
                The Caravan Club has a page on their site regarding fire safety:

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/advice...ginners/fires/

As both cooker and door are at the rear of the 'van, placing the fire extinguisher further inside the van wouldn't be advisable in my opinion.

I think the main advice if a fire broke out in a vehicle the size of a Romahome would be to get out sharpish!

John
                I cannot see the reasoning about not having the fire extinguisher inboard of the hob or gas rings. Surely if a fire originated on a hob while in occupation it could be the only thing making escape possible?
                If I had a fire and I was between the hob and the door I would use the door pronto! So OK. I might lose the van - but not my life!
                Jim.
                Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianTheSnail View Post
                  Our folding bucket developed a leak so we don't carry one any more. Just poked round and there are plenty of cheap folding buckets but the better ones are either not red or are expensive :-( Will keep looking.
                  I found the folding buckets all leak very quickly but did have a blue one for a while, I hoped that in an emergency someone would guess a bucket full of water outside a van could be used, no matter what it's colour!

Comment

Pauline - there seem to be some collapsible silicone ones on the market which ought be more robust - this one seems cheap

Comment

When my sister had her new year bonfire on our front garden I rushed around to grab the hosepipe from the back. I never even thought of going for the extinguisher in the caravan. In fact it is only while reading this thread that I remembered I had one. Not that it would have done much good anyway, one of the neighbours emptied one four times the size without putting it out. That's one of the "qualities" of unleaded. It's almost impossible to extinguish it once it gets going.

Comment

Pauline - there seem to be some collapsible silicone ones on the market which ought be more robust - this one seems cheap
                        That's exactly the one we've just bought, along with collapsible dish drainer and washing up bowl.

I'm hoping that if my dear husband makes me a "platform" for the toilet to raise it up, they'll be enough room to store these things underneath. They are currently in a basket under the sink and on top of the loo but, of course, that doesn't help with the height of said loo.

All of these open up at different heights so if only a little bit of washing up I'll just pop the bottom and won't need so much water. The bucket can go under the van slightly collapsed, although I am aware that the heavier it is for emptying then the more likely that it will open out fully as i drag it out.

I do have a red bucket already but that would need to be transported as it is. i might be able to squeeze it in the underbed store where the RCD is.

Comment

Thanks Brian, will have a look next time I'm in Wilko.

Like Sandra we have a collapsible bowl which we got in B&M bargains for a few pounds.

Comment

I believe it's usually in the smallprint of your insurance policy that it says you have to have a fire extinguisher.

Mine is mounted at the bottom left of the front passenger seat. It can only be reached through the passenger door.

In the event of a fire it will be me and dog out the door, the van and it's extinguisher can take their chances.

Comment

In Lidl today

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...etail&id=40882

Comment