X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

inside plugs/wiring question

One for Ant!

I have a liddle teeny Kip caravan now, Ant... it has EHU but the sockets inside are continental (Dutch - or should that be double-Dutch!) and have two pin sockets. So can I (or someone who is better at these things than I am) just rewire these and put three pin standard sockets on, or will I have to change the wiring voltage, or get adaptors????

Funny sort of a question, but that's typical of me! LOL!

I'm no expert with electrickery but our van has japanese plugs from its first life, and uk plugs added when it was imported. The japanese are 110v and are still live when plugged into the EHU, giving 110v. The UK ones are still 240v.

We do still use the 110v sockets, the fridge is plugged into 1 of them via a travel adapter at the mo but we have just ordered an adapter to make the plug a japanese type, and also they are the only sockets to receive power via the generator if we don't have EHU.

Whilst looking for the jap plug adapter, I did find there were lots of people selling allsorts of power leads, adapters, etc so if you aren't happy using travel adapters you may be able to buy replacement leads for the things you want to plug in whilst away.

hopefully someone with a lot more knowledge will come long soon and help you out, its all just magic to me!!!!
    Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Hi JayJay.
      You can buy plug in adaptors for the continental sockets that turn them into 3pin british type. Long term there should be no problem with changing the sockets to British 3pin. The only problem with any swap over from one countries system to another would be if the original country used a very different voltage and cycle and an electrical appliance was fitted to the van from original ( ei an appliance designed to run on the different voltage).
      I'm not sure what the Dutch use, but if its between 220 and 250v I would worry about it.
      Ant

Comment

Hi Glen and Ant! Thanks for your help and advice.

There are no appliances that came with the van to plug in. I only have the Brit ones I used in my campervan, eg- travel kettle, 500watt electric radiator. In fact, I think that's all I want to plug in! Might buy a toaster or take my little mini-oven/toaster (not sure of wattage but think lowish) along as there's no grill in there, just a two ring gas cooker. I will need an extention for one of the sockets as it's at the top side of the wardrobe!

which leads me to ponder - why put elec sockets up there anyway?? In case of flooding???

Comment

Well it is dutch, and they do have dykes. little boys and fingers come to mind

Comment

Originally posted by lunnie View Post
            Well it is dutch, and they do have dykes. little boys and fingers come to mind
            LOL! Lunnie I never thought of that!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
            Working...
            X